Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Demon Souls: The PS3 Sleeper Hit of the Year?

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I hate it when people talk during their walkthrough. Tried to watch that youtube video but stopped it fast because of that.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyutah View Post
    thsi game could be the panzer dragoon saga of the ps3.
    Games that are "expected" to be rare generally never are.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just pre-ordered the LE version. I rarely buy new games (only other one I got this year was BlazBlue), but the buzz around Deomon's Souls was too much for me to ignore. Almost every review I read said it's a modern classic.

Plus, I could probably sell the artbook and make my money back like how I did with BlazBlue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

Had to stop watching that video after about 15 seconds. Voice is so monotone.

Been playing the press build for about a month now, and can't wait to get the retail copy, mainly so I can connect to live servers again.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it out yet? did it him store shelves yet? some stores put a new release out a day early some times. I guess i can wait another day or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

Our local shop has it, but then they put EVERYTHING out early. Atlus says the servers will not be up until Tuesday, but that's today!
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

preordered mine monday to get the cd, dang web site messed up i have 2 coming now.
    but my friend will buy 1 off me.

so far
    this game and
    Last Guardian
    are the only games i know i will pay full price for.
    Last edited by acem77; 10-06-2009 at 12:07 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm in the BC area and it looks like EB won't be getting theirs in until tommorow. I got mine pre-ordered though so I'm good. This is going to be a great long-weekend killer. (Canadian Thanksgiving).

I hear Futureshop released their copies early but are currently out of stock. You might get lucky though.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I preordered from Amazon. Free shipping, so will be around nine days before I get it. I'm in no rush.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It'll be either this or Batman that's game of the year.
    I don't know man, the glowing reviews that Uncharted 2 is getting makes it a serious contender for game of the year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'll be picking up my copy tomorrow. you can't invite friends in can you to play with/against you can you? isn't the multi player feature completely random?

Acem I'm with you man, This game and Last guardian is the reason i bought a ps3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Got the Deluxe edition today and all is well, it's a nice embossed case though nothing overly fancy but makes it look better. The artbook and CD I really like how its packed and the strategy guide is the size of the blu-ray case though thick and full of info, already been using it.

The game itself has surprised me. Even though I was hyped up for it, it's a bit different than I expected. I imagined it was going to be a little slower, but in fact it gets downright fast as spit when it comes to combat. Considering the difficulty and the fact that you only keep items (which you can't sell) and only earn Demon's Souls (the currency) by defeating entire levels has made the game much more challenging than I imagined.

Earlier I died so many times and lost thousands of souls that I started running through levels just to find stones (which can be used after stage to earn souls) and items to upgrade as beating the level had gotten too frustrating, honestly I ran out of time cause I have to work tomorrow.

No doubt this game is very hardcore but it has a masterstroke to it I wasn't expecting, almost like a real RPG instead of just a hack n' slash. Not quite what I was expecting but i'm pleasently surprised and no doubt as has been stated, the game is very challenging.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 10-06-2009 at 10:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It'll be either this or Batman that's game of the year.
    I honestly do not know where or how Batman is even in a discussion for Game of the Year. It has a number of flaws and it is entirely derivative. It is a good enough game that it overcomes those flaws though. That makes it a game worth playing, even worth buying, but not game of the year.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyutah View Post
    i'll be picking up my copy tomorrow. you can't invite friends in can you to play with/against you can you? isn't the multi player feature completely random?

Acem I'm with you man, This game and Last guardian is the reason i bought a ps3.
    It is mostly random. But when you place a blue soul sign down, people see your character name. If you know where the soul sign is placed and who placed it, you could get into the same game, it just takes some work.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Got the Deluxe edition today and all is well, it's a nice embossed case though nothing overly fancy but makes it look better. The artbook and CD I really like how its packed and the strategy guide is the size of the blu-ray case though thick and full of info, already been using it.

The game itself has surprised me. Even though I was hyped up for it, it's a bit different than I expected. I imagined it was going to be a little slower, but in fact it gets downright fast as spit when it comes to combat. Considering the difficulty and the fact that you only keep items (which you can't sell) and only earn Demon's Souls (the currency) by defeating entire levels has made the game much more challenging than I imagined.

Earlier I died so many times and lost thousands of souls that I started running through levels just to find stones (which can be used after stage to earn souls) and items to upgrade as beating the level had gotten too frustrating, honestly I ran out of time cause I have to work tomorrow.

No doubt this game is very hardcore but it has a masterstroke to it I wasn't expecting, almost like a real RPG instead of just a hack n' slash. Not quite what I was expecting but i'm pleasently surprised and no doubt as has been stated, the game is very challenging.
    FYI, you CAN leave levels by the entrance you came in before finishing them, allowing you to spend your souls without, say, risking it all on a boss fight.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    FYI, you CAN leave levels by the entrance you came in before finishing them, allowing you to spend your souls without, say, risking it all on a boss fight.
    WTF! I HAD NO IDEA!

I guess I read the guide wrong....phew, that should make it better lol! Just got home from work I was humming that creepy music all day and people were staring at like me wtf, lol, im addicted!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I picked this game up pretty randomly yesterday and I find it to be very interesting. I love seeing other players souls run around with you at the same time and the ability to leave notes throughout the area. There was one misleading note involving a hole that I found hilarious, because I saw someone looking at them and then proceeded to jump down the hole, I busted out laughing when I read the notes after I witnessed what happened. It's also cool seeing the blood splatters and seeing how someone died, it's a very unique feature.

Funny thing is I didn't expect to like the game that much, but it's going to be one of those games I keep on going back to and eventually beating.

Quote Originally Posted by meancode View Post
    I honestly do not know where or how Batman is even in a discussion for Game of the Year.
    Plenty of people have been saying it's a sure runner for Game of the Year, it's sure to be a nominee for at least Multiplatform GOTY and I'm sure it'll end up losing to Modern Warfare 2.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    EMC2INTOSH

Ive been watching alot of videos and this game looks fantastic. I dont own a PS3 but I want to now get one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    I picked this game up pretty randomly yesterday and I find it to be very interesting. I love seeing other players souls run around with you at the same time and the ability to leave notes throughout the area. There was one misleading note involving a hole that I found hilarious, because I saw someone looking at them and then proceeded to jump down the hole, I busted out laughing when I read the notes after I witnessed what happened. It's also cool seeing the blood splatters and seeing how someone died, it's a very unique feature.

Funny thing is I didn't expect to like the game that much, but it's going to be one of those games I keep on going back to and eventually beating.

Plenty of people have been saying it's a sure runner for Game of the Year, it's sure to be a nominee for at least Multiplatform GOTY and I'm sure it'll end up losing to Modern Warfare 2.
    I thought that this was a PS3 exclusive
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Holy hell, my head is aching from the depth and way this world is built, pure brilliance.

Anyone who is going to play this must read http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/concepts to understand the main concepts. It's an absolute necessity to know exactly wtf is going on.

The loss of XP/Souls (aka currency) versus items is the single most well thought out idea ever. Running for your life has never been so literal in a game. Know wonder this game is held in such high regard cause it houses the best character penalty/reward system of any game to date and the two world soul/body form concept mixed with online is just perfection.

Also the videos DO NOT do this game justice! You have to see the Dragon flaming the bridge (after 1-1 boss) and then the Temple Knight boss for yourself, wow, just wow. I've never experienced a game that lived up to so much hype yet actually exceeded my expectations. No matter how much good is said about this game it is not enough, it deserves every bit.