Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Demon Souls: The PS3 Sleeper Hit of the Year?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

quick question: Do the 'hero's souls' (and others) have any use besides adding to your soul count? I've just been hanging on to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Just curious what the best weapons are and where could they be found? Looking for each sword type. Need to try and enhance my play style. I'm great with the weapons I'm using which is just a Heavy Sword and a Straight Sword, but possibly may be better with different ones if I try to use them. Out of the two games I've played through I haven't used anything aside from these two weapon types. I've only experimented with others.
    Well since you been through twice then I would imagine you have pretty much all spells and miracles, though yellow demon's soul has like 4 uses. Some of the best weapons are made with Demon's Souls like the Northern Regalia which has like equal physical and magic damage. Blueblood Sword, Scraping Spear and Meat Clever seem to be popular as well. Personally I love the Kris Blade alot as it really boosts MP and Makoto Blade with regen ring or adjudicator's shield cause the bleed output is great. Don't forget clever rats ring, that can totally change the tide of a battle....big time. Btw from my testing Insanity Catalyst sucks total monkey balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    quick question: Do the 'hero's souls' (and others) have any use besides adding to your soul count? I've just been hanging on to them.
    None that I know of or have read of. Strategy guide just says to eat them for extra souls, so the answer seems to be a definite no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    lazyhoboguy

I stupidly upgraded my level 7 winged spear to a scraping spear because I assumed it would be better since it was an unique upgrade. WRONG. The attack points is way lower than even like a level 4 or 5 winged spear. It has better durability and can mess up peoples armor, but that doesnt matter at all for single player. I think it would work awesome in online duels though to break peoples armor. So, to get back my level 7 winged spear I spent about 2 hours tracking down tons of sharpstone...
    youtube= http://www.youtube.com/user/Lazyhoboguy
    blog= www.gamespot.com/users/lazyhoboguy/
    My Game Collection= http://lazyhoboguy.webs.com

PS2 Online and PS2 LAN Tunneling (Xlink Kai) game scheduling site:http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

With the Blueblood sword it has 100 attack and 100 magic attack. Does that damage both stack into a physical attack? Meaning that it'd be better than my 168?(not sure,) Long Sword? I still have the standard Long Sword as my best weapon(it's at +10.)

Other than the Knight Sword at +10(not sure if it can even get +10 as Quality Knight Sword stopped at +5,) what's the best straight sword that you can build up?

I might also use some very large swords. I used one and it seems to be a good weapon. It's got amazing knockback if you hit the enemy. If you miss you'll be taking some damage.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    lazyhoboguy

With the Blueblood sword it has 100 attack and 100 magic attack. Does that damage both stack into a physical attack? Meaning that it'd be better than my 168?(not sure,) Long Sword? I still have the standard Long Sword as my best weapon(it's at +10.)

Other than the Knight Sword at +10(not sure if it can even get +10 as Quality Knight Sword stopped at +5,) what's the best straight sword that you can build up?

I might also use some very large swords. I used one and it seems to be a good weapon. It's got amazing knockback if you hit the enemy. If you miss you'll be taking some damage.
    I had been using a winged spear and battle axe combo for ages. I noticed however that I had this dragon long sword in my stockpile. I tried it out and really like it. It is very light weight but does a lot of damage, plus it also lights your enemies on fire when you use it.

PS2 Online and PS2 LAN Tunneling (Xlink Kai) game scheduling site:http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Starting to give up. Fighting the King. Killed all the other demons, etc., except Gnarl. Level 88 and I can only barely scratch the King. Sucks. I think I need some weapon upgrading to have a chance but I am nopt sure I can bear any more grinding. Looks like I'll want the Winged Spear to beat him...close attack weapons are hopeless...

You do not want to fight the King in close combat...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    lazyhoboguy

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    Starting to give up. Fighting the King. Killed all the other demons, etc., except Gnarl. Level 88 and I can only barely scratch the King. Sucks. I think I need some weapon upgrading to have a chance but I am nopt sure I can bear any more grinding. Looks like I'll want the Winged Spear to beat him...close attack weapons are hopeless...

You do not want to fight the King in close combat...
    You talking about King Doran that you find in that room after you open it with the key (In the first level)? If so there is a cheap tedious strategy to beat him that works quite well lol. I killed him at about level 30.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lazyhoboguy View Post
    You talking about King Doran that you find in that room after you open it with the key (In the first level)? If so there is a cheap tedious strategy to beat him that works quite well lol. I killed him at about level 30.
    He's probably talking about The False King. I was also frustrated with this and ended up getting help online. Closest I came to beating him solo was with a Kris Blade in left hand, Talisman of The Beast in right and draining my health to 30% for the Clever Rats Ring to kick in and also wore the Magical Sharpness Ring.

I would throw up Warding which would protect me even at 30% from a couple of hits. I gotta say I was doin MASSIVE DAMAGE with this setup though. I could have killed him in about 20 hits this way but I just couldn't dodge enough and with my health drained would get one shotted.

Regardless Warding seems to be the way to take him down solo and patience. I said screw it and just got two phatoms to help me online though as I was already frustrated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I don't know what Soul Level I was the first time, but I do know that my Soul Level the second time fighting the false king around 100.

I also had the priest clothes on with the hard leather boots because they gave higher defense while being light armor.

I didn't use any magic the first time and died once. Second time killed him without dying using the Warding spell. Much easier when magic is involved.

While it was extremely stupid of me not to. After finishing all the areas I should have looked up some sortof guide to find out how to get the secret places that I might have missed, which seems like quite a bit minus anything regarding equipment, I'll do so in the third game. I should have done so in the first and second game so that I won't have to go through most likely a second time to gain all this equipment over again, or possibly even a third with combinable equipment.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-30-2009 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

While it was extremely stupid of me not to. After finishing all the areas I should have looked up some sortof guide to find out how to get the secret places that I might have missed, which seems like quite a bit minus anything regarding equipment, I'll do so in the third game. I should have done so in the first and second game so that I won't have to go through most likely a second time to gain all this equipment over again, or possibly even a third with combinable equipment.
    Well to get all the trophies you will need to go through the game a total of four times, considering you got everything possibly with the Demon's Souls. I honestly used the strategy guide as it has a "perfect run" for doing all white/black scenarios in one playthrough which believe it or not is possible, even character tendencies.

There are a couple of shortcuts you could take the guide doesn't mention like using Black Eye Stone online to shift tendencies, regardless it helps to have alot of that stuff at your disposal on NG+ and I recommend a perfect run for anyone doing so, cause there will be plenty of Black Phantoms that did and have stuff you don't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    He's probably talking about The False King. I was also frustrated with this and ended up getting help online. Closest I came to beating him solo was with a Kris Blade in left hand, Talisman of The Beast in right and draining my health to 30% for the Clever Rats Ring to kick in and also wore the Magical Sharpness Ring.

I would throw up Warding which would protect me even at 30% from a couple of hits. I gotta say I was doin MASSIVE DAMAGE with this setup though. I could have killed him in about 20 hits this way but I just couldn't dodge enough and with my health drained would get one shotted.

Regardless Warding seems to be the way to take him down solo and patience. I said screw it and just got two phatoms to help me online though as I was already frustrated.
    Hmm... I haven't defeated King Doran yet, but when I beat the False King I was just around level 60 or so. I used my trusty Dragon Long Sword+4, and the only spell I used was a fireball one (I can't remember the name of it now), but I did beat him on my second try. Of course, the whole battle was unbelievably intense, and I ended up using around 20 full moon grasses, but it is possible if you are *very* careful and time your dodges very precisely. Needless to say, that was one of the best boss battles I've experienced in a very long time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Well to get all the trophies you will need to go through the game a total of four times, considering you got everything possibly with the Demon's Souls. I honestly used the strategy guide as it has a "perfect run" for doing all white/black scenarios in one playthrough which believe it or not is possible, even character tendencies.

There are a couple of shortcuts you could take the guide doesn't mention like using Black Eye Stone online to shift tendencies, regardless it helps to have alot of that stuff at your disposal on NG+ and I recommend a perfect run for anyone doing so, cause there will be plenty of Black Phantoms that did and have stuff you don't.
    So killing someone as a Black Phantom gives you different tendencies? I don't have a guide so don't know that.

I actually haven't went to any of the places where you have to have certain tendencies. Can you tell me how you can change your tendency and exactly what areas in which place requires what tendency?

Because yeah, like you said, there are a TON of people who have items that I haven't seen before and I've went through the game three times and killed every person in the game to steal their stuff. Alot of these people that I see are all Black Phantoms. I'm also proud to say that I've won atleast 10+ times one on one against a Black Phantom and only have died twice. I dunno, I just never go and get any Blue Phantoms to back me up, though it would be easier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So killing someone as a Black Phantom gives you different tendencies? I don't have a guide so don't know that.

I actually haven't went to any of the places where you have to have certain tendencies. Can you tell me how you can change your tendency and exactly what areas in which place requires what tendency?

Because yeah, like you said, there are a TON of people who have items that I haven't seen before and I've went through the game three times and killed every person in the game to steal their stuff. Alot of these people that I see are all Black Phantoms. I'm also proud to say that I've won atleast 10+ times one on one against a Black Phantom and only have died twice. I dunno, I just never go and get any Blue Phantoms to back me up, though it would be easier.
    Ha, explaining it all is a very large chore. I followed the guide that came with the deluxe edition so I guess you could say I had it easy that way, but your best bet is http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/.

Yes playing as a Black Phantom can also change tendencies, it's a bit tricky but you can experiment and find out.

OH BTW, you can run black tendencies for free this weekend as Atlus is running a Halloween event, which surprises the hell outta me: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/1...uls-halloween/

So run the Halloween event in Black and then when it shifts back or you go offline "however it works" just finish up. I really can't believe they are having an event, what a surprise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Like Bhvrd said, it is rather complicated to explain all the world tendency stuff. I got my start w/ it from the guide, and that all still works afaik, but there are some other things to consider that you can learn by searching online.

I did just now learn that you can up your Character Tendency (NOT WT, afaik) by defeating BPs. I just started 4-1 for the first time and had 5 BPs invade! I couldn't even progress, really, because they were pretty frequent. The first was pretty good and it was pretty much a stalemate... we both switched between many weapons. I eventually summoned a Blue P, and he went down quickly from my backstab/crit at that point. The rest I killed on my own without too much difficulty. One was clearly overmatched and kept running off trying to get me to follow him into getting hit by Vanguard. It took me several times of him doing this but I finally I caught him from behind before he got away. Pansy.

Anyway, after fending off those 5 BPs, I checked my WT screen to see if the EVENT had started yet (it hadn't), and noticed that my CT was pretty blue-white. Ran up to the Monumental, and snagged my friendship ring. I'd also killed a couple demons during my play tonight (Fool's Idol and Vanguard), so I don't know how much each one bumps up CT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I don't get off work until 5:45 and then going to a party later on. Hopefully this event lasts for a few days. Those demons that give you the colorless souls. Do they appear in every stage randomly through this event?

Maybe set places so you can grind colorless souls during the event?

*edit*

Some fucking event. This is bullshit. I'm not even in Pure Black. I'm in White and it's not Pure White. Did Atlus fuck up and just forget to do it or did they only drop everyones stuff by a certain degree? Regardless, I haven't been in it all night so bullshit if you ask me. I've been in it but just never been to any of those special areas that you need it.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-31-2009 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Some fucking event. This is bullshit. I'm not even in Pure Black. I'm in White and it's not Pure White. Did Atlus fuck up and just forget to do it or did they only drop everyones stuff by a certain degree? Regardless, I haven't been in it all night so bullshit if you ask me. I've been in it but just never been to any of those special areas that you need it.
    I admit the "event" is quite vague and not at all explained, but the fact that there is an event at all is what surprised me.

If you want to get worlds to pure black you have to quit in the nexus from in-game and reload. Everytime you reload the worlds will go more black. I have actually harvested a ton of rare ores tonight.

Also no, the primeval demons always show up in the same location, as far as if they will still be there after this events over is anyones guess, we'll see. Really it's best to just farm the rare ores. I would leave the demons there "just in case" as usually they are used to shift tendencies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I've been very slowly pacing myself through the game and beat 2-1 yesterday before going out, that spider boss was a complete pushover, especially when compared to the other things that went on up to that point. Being able to stop anywhere in a level and restart right where I left off really saves the game for me, it's nice being able to play a game for a short period of time and then put it down without having to worry about losing any progress I make.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been really getting into this game (one of the few PS3 games I can say that about)
    I pre-ordered the deluxe edition off Amazon. My first choice was to be a magician, after getting seriously pissed and almost putting the game away I took someones advice and started with the royal class. The game is infinately easier now and I love it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    lazyhoboguy

I started as a barbarian (melee character). It has probably made things a lot more challenging but I am enjoying it still. I taught my barbarian a little magic too so he can at least do a long range attack sometimes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I got lucky I guess, and started off with the Royal. I haven't found the game to be all that difficult, really. Well, the first time in a new area is pretty tense and easy to get your butt kicked, but once you know an area and its enemies, it isn't very difficult to adjust your strategy and technique to compensate.