Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Default Problem with HDMI resolution settings on PS3

I was finally able to get an HDMI. Originally I was using component video.

Example game to be used: Dead Space.

When using component video cables, the output would go to 1080i, the maximum my TV would accept. Playing Dead Space on that resolution was awesome.

I then started using my HDMI Ver 1.3 cable. Now, it only outputs to 720p, even though component cables would reach 1080i. I can easily tell the difference on 720p, as the graphics aren't as crisp and detailed as on 1080i.

Why is this happening? How can I fix this? I want the game to go to 1080i, as before.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Does anyone have an idea?

Tried Lego Batman and it played on 1080i. Brother's in Arms played on 720p, when it used to play on 1080i via Component cabling.

BluRay movies play at 1080i. The console even upscales DVD's to 1080i.

So why some games can go to 1080i on Component cabling and only to 720 via HDMI?

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Have you tried unchecking the 720p option in the display menu? There are a lot of threads about similar issues here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=142 that might help you some.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    Have you tried unchecking the 720p option in the display menu? There are a lot of threads about similar issues here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=142 that might help you some.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I have as well.

But here is the interesting part!

When the option is unchecked (leaving only 480p and 1080i), games those same "weird" games (games that display on 720p via HDMI and 1080i via Component) play at 1080i via HDMI. The ONLY problem are games that only support 720p, which drop to 480p (like Silent Hill Homecoming).

I was told that, even if a game could display on both 720p and 1080i, the console/cable will choose what is best for my TV. Also, that even though it's a higher res (1080i), it will choose 720p because it's "progressive" (I know what progressive means, just putting quotes to differentiate them), which considers it better than "interlace".

I will admit, I have no clue what is going on. I can only base myself from what I've been told and what I could guess, but beyond that, I have no idea. Specially since some games that project on both 720p and 1080i, actually play on 1080i (like Lego Batman). So perhaps it's the game itself?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Could be the game, could be your TV.

I only have a general understanding of the technology but from what I do know - When you use an HDMI cable you may get a level of "performance checking" between devices, depending primarily on how your TV operates.

If the PS3 (or whatever HDMI device you're using) gets any indication that the benchmark is lower than what it needs for maximum performance, like you said - it will likely choose the lower progressive scan option over the higher interlace option.

When you use the component cable you eliminate that two way status check and where possible strong-arm the TV set into the option you want.

Of course, you can't get 1080p with component cables ... so, might be worth reviewing any HD options your TV set has as far as auto-detection to see if you can turn that off.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"