Thread: Dear Playstation. I got a tip that you're making the PS3 $199. Confirm or Deny.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Dear Playstation. I got a tip that you're making the PS3 $199. Confirm or Deny.

Didn't think this promo still existed. Get $100 off with a qualifying purchase of atleast $299 if you're approved for the card.

*edit*

Should this go in the deals section?

At long last, the PlayStation 3 is at a price which many gamers would likely consider affordable (save for those who might not be able to move out of the handheld sector). At $299.99, it's right on par with the Xbox 360 Elite and just $50 more than a Wii. Could it get any better?

As a matter of fact, yes, it can.

Now seems like as good a time as any to remind everyone about the SonyStyle credit card. With this little piece of plastic, you can get a $100 credit on your first qualifying purchase.

"Oh no," you might be saying. "When the PS3 was $500 and up a couple of weeks ago, that might have worked, but what about now?"

No worries; a qualifying purchase only has to be $299. Hmm, now how much was that new slim PlayStation 3 again...?

You can see where this is going, can't you? Sign up for the SonyStyle card, and if you're instantly approved, you can order a PlayStation 3 right then and there from the SonyStyle.com website. On the other hand, if you're not instantly approved, you might have to wait on the local postman to make his rounds before you can get down to business.

But won't it be worth it to save $100 on a PlayStation 3, bringing the price down to $199? That's a deal that the Wii and the Xbox 360 Elite might have a difficult time competing with.

The credit should come on your first statement, and from there, you just have to pay off the remaining balance. Then, you can either cancel and cut up the card, or keep it around-- whatever you choose.

http://ps3.kombo.com/article.php?artid=10810
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-07-2009 at 01:53 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

Im not seeing this sonystyle card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wouldn't touch a sony credit card with a 10 foot pole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    I wouldn't touch a sony credit card with a 10 foot pole.
    haha why

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If the Sony credit card were obstructing somebody's windpipe I would remove it, but not with a pole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Why not. Sign up for the credit card. Use it, cut it up and burn it so no one could possibly find out the card number. There you go. PS3 for 199. If your credit doesn't suck balls you'd save $100. That's a good deal if you ask me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Why not. Sign up for the credit card. Use it, cut it up and burn it so no one could possibly find out the card number. There you go. PS3 for 199. If your credit doesn't suck balls you'd save $100. That's a good deal if you ask me.
    Using gimmick credit cards for one time savings is really bad for your credit score. Dont get me wrong the 199 PS3 is a dream deal, but it may not be worth it in the long run.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    Using gimmick credit cards for one time savings is really bad for your credit score. Dont get me wrong the 199 PS3 is a dream deal, but it may not be worth it in the long run.
    That's not true. You do get a tiny change every time someone checks your credit on a new application. So if you get like 6-8 new gimmicky cards, sure it can be negative for your history. However, if you get one like in this thread and then as someone suggested, cut it up and never use it, it actually becomes really good for your credit because it builds a history. The longer you have a card (it doesn't have to be used) the higher your credit score goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CAG actually has a guide telling how to get a PS3 slim for a .01, though obviously you aren't really paying a penny for the PS3 slim. It basically requires you to spend 1.5 grand on said credit card and pay it off before a certain time frame. This can be easily done if you use the card for all your expenses, but may not be worth the effort. It's probably a better idea to just purchase the slim for $299 and deal with it. Alternatively, wait for the holidays and hope retailers start bundling games or accessories with it to add value to it.
    I have a sig?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just wait till Christmas time, the 360 and PS3 will be even cheaper. X-mas time + a crappy economy/resession= great gaming deals. I'm holding out till then.