Thread: Looking to buy an SFC..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Looking to buy an SFC..

Well, I never owned a SNES or SFC since I mostly played NES and got a Genesis afterwards. I was addicted to Phantasy Star, Sonic, Shining Force, etc, and I just never got one. I have played many SNES games though and I pretty much know what I want to start a collection. The thing I don't know is if it is worth it to buy an SFC from either ebay or japangamestock since the shipping cost is so high (I live in US). I have a big interest in Japanese like many people, and I would like to own more imports.

Basically, should I just get a model 1 SNES and "mod" it if I want to play imports, or buy an SFC. Also, I have been searching around and if I do in fact get an SFC, what exactly do I need to play US games on it? I know it is some converter but I am not sure what it is specifically.

Any suggestions or opinions on what I should do will be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Don't get an SFC. Get an SNES. Nothing to mod in order to play SFC games on it other than filing down a few tabs inside it. The SNES games, however, will not physically fit inside the SFC without visibly ruining the case.

So, get an SNES and import SFC games to your hearts content!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Except for games which lock-out after a region detect, but I guess many of the ones you want to play will be available as a cheap US cartridge.

Probably draw up a list of games you're thinking of and see if any of them are known to lock out based on region.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Japanese SFC games use the same region check as US SNES games so he won't have to worry about region lock out on any games. (The SFC lockout just checks to see if the system is 60Hz NTSC which is the same as the US SNES)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Could one safely assume 100% US compatibility (including GameGenie) with an SFC once the top shell is trimmed to fit US carts? It looks like only a minor shaving would be required to fit a US cart.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you are going to play both US and JP carts just get a US SNES and pop the tabs out of the cart slot, it's cheaper and more convenient.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
    If you are going to play both US and JP carts just get a US SNES and pop the tabs out of the cart slot, it's cheaper and more convenient.
    Already have a US SNES with tabs removed to play JP carts. Needed a SNES for a second room and was considering going with a SFC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not that it's a concern for most, but I'd just like to point out that those looking to do RGB out will have an easier time with the SFC than the SNES (which requires resistors and other shenanigans) as it just has a Japanese SCART lead you can buy for not a huge amount, and from there make a cable to whatever.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know much about super famicom/snes converters but maybe you could find one. Anyway, I think you should try to get both consoles. I mean if you really want to import games why not just have the original hardware. Also I've seen some cheap super famicoms on japanese yahoo auctions, but the shipping...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Either get one of each, or just get a US SNES -- the mod to play US stuff on the SFC is ugly, whereas the mod for playing JPN in US systems is very well-hidden.

Please don't kill a SFC. :P

EDIT: I actually use the "mod" for the US system, which is very easy to do and functional.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright thanks, I figured the SNES would be more suggested. I guess ebay would be the best place then right? I noticed that eStarland is selling some for $54.95 but there are no pictures and I really don't want my first SNES to be yellow or yellowing.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

estarland is a rip-off. A huge huge rip-off. First place to check should be your local Craigslist. You can sometimes score killer deals on there. After that, just keep looking at Ebay, watch & snipe SNES consoles or SNES console & game lots. You can get the system & games for $50 shipped if you're patient.

If you want to get a Super Famicom, tho, hit up Risingstuff.com. Best bet is to get it shipped Seamail, which takes forever but considering it's cartridge-based, has less chance of being DOA from the shipping method. Otherwise, keep an eye on Ebay, there's one seller that has em in an actual auction-style listing instead of a high BIN like most guys. Sometimes they end at a reasonable price. I've also seen a few non-sellers (ie, people who use Ebay to buy and sell only once in awhile) that have put em up for sale at a low price in a regular auction and had them sell with only a few bids on em (meaning someone scooped em up for cheap).
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

I hear risingstuff.com being plugged again and again. Must be a good shop!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's only two places I buy imports from. One is Ebay, and it tends to either be from one particular seller (whose prices and shipping are getting worse and worse, so chances are that's going to be coming to an end eventually) or from what I call "non-sellers" which is people who just use Ebay casually. Those guys tend to start auctions off low and not get too many bids. The other place is, of course, Risingstuff. If I'm looking for particular games, I can always count on them to have fair prices. If they don't, I can always complain, and usually the price gets lowered. So yeah I think it's a great online shop, particularly when compared to other stores. I bought my AV Fami/FDS set-up from them, my PC-FX from them, and more games than I can count.

It's not loyalty tho, even tho I happen to like the guys who run it. If someone else was selling things cheaper and were dependable, I'd be all over that. I haven't found anything of the sort tho. Usually when I look at the other online shops, they're pricier than high BIN auctions on Ebay. XD I realize if you live in Japan the prices at Risingstuff probably seem high. Compared to other places that ship to the US tho it's not. We don't have Hard Off or Yahoo Auctions here. Unfortunately.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    XD I realize if you live in Japan the prices at Risingstuff probably seem high. Compared to other places that ship to the US tho it's not. We don't have Hard Off or Yahoo Auctions here. Unfortunately.
    They aren't that bad, actually. Some things are priced well, and others are mostly just Akihabara prices. Not as cheap as some shops here.... but then again I can't always find everything at "some shops" and end up going to Akihabara.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually I think alot of prices on Rising Stuff are pretty decent. That's why I was taking exception in other threads regarding his price guides as what he sells for is much better priced than what the price guides stated.