Thread: Questions regarding the Mega Drive/Genesis controller

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Questions regarding the Mega Drive/Genesis controller

I'm confused since there are so many variations. Can someone please help me out?

1. I've seen two variations of the 3-button controller. One has red letters on the buttons, and the other has engraved letters on the buttons with white letters surrounding them. The original 6-button controller shares a similar case: there is a variation with a black start button, and a variation with a red start button. Are these regional differences (i.e. the red one is a UK release or something)? What is the reason for these differences?

2. Someone told me that the controller pictured on the Majesco Genesis box is incorrect, and that it actually includes a 6-button controller shaped just like the original 3-button controller. Is this correct?

3. In which order were there controllers released?

4. What exactly is the mode button for? I've heard rumors that it is used to swap button positions from XYZ to ABC. Is that true?

5. Were all three models of the 6-button controller released in the US? How about Europe?

Thanks in advance!
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I know that both version of the 3 button controller you mention where released in the US and I think that there was a third version that used the same D-pad as the six button. The Majesco controller is not shaped like the original 3 button pad. The Mode button was for if a game didn't work correctly with the 6 button pad, so if the controlls where acting screwy you can turn off the game and hold down Mode while turning it back on to clear up the issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
    I know that both version of the 3 button controller you mention where released in the US and I think that there was a third version that used the same D-pad as the six button.
    Which 6-button?

The Majesco controller is not shaped like the original 3 button pad.
    Which controller does it use then? I'm reading this link:
    http://www.jwnyc.com/games/genesis3.html
    And it said that his model came with a 6-button controller shaped like the original 3-button controller, and that the one pictured on the box was incorrect.

The Mode button was for if a game didn't work correctly with the 6 button pad, so if the controlls where acting screwy you can turn off the game and hold down Mode while turning it back on to clear up the issue.[/QUOTE]
    What games needed it then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Try playing Mrs. Pacman on a 6 button without using the Mode button, it's near impossible. I believe some games actually made use of the mode button as well.

This also might be of interest to you...I seem to remember a thread not too long ago showing internal differences in the way the D-Pad was constructed from version to version.

EDIT-
    Not as much there as I was remembering but here's the thread I was talking about.
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show....php?t=134951&
    Last edited by jb143; 09-11-2009 at 11:48 AM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this doesnt really answer your question but
    http://www.axess.com/twilight/console/
    does show the master controller - three button and 6 button controllers. besides its pretty cool to see the evolution of all the controllers, although it is missing a few.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I'm confused since there are so many variations. Can someone please help me out?

1. I've seen two variations of the 3-button controller. One has red letters on the buttons, and the other has engraved letters on the buttons with white letters surrounding them. The original 6-button controller shares a similar case: there is a variation with a black start button, and a variation with a red start button. Are these regional differences (i.e. the red one is a UK release or something)? What is the reason for these differences?

2. Someone told me that the controller pictured on the Majesco Genesis box is incorrect, and that it actually includes a 6-button controller shaped just like the original 3-button controller. Is this correct?

3. In which order were there controllers released?

4. What exactly is the mode button for? I've heard rumors that it is used to swap button positions from XYZ to ABC. Is that true?

5. Were all three models of the 6-button controller released in the US? How about Europe?

Thanks in advance!

The 3-button controller with red letters came out first and was used though the Sonic pack-in era. Sega then released a Mega-fire red lettered controller which has individual turbo for each button. I believe the white lettered controller debuted in the model 1 core system package and was used throughout the model 2 era.

As for 6-button controllers, the first version released actually has a grey start button, not black. The X, Y and Z buttons are also grey. The Mega Drive release of this same controller was the one with the red start button. AFAIK the grey button version was the only one released in the U.S. If you see one with a black or blue start button it was not released by Sega but by a third party.

The second version of the 6-button came with the Genesis model 3 and is smaller than the original plus has turbo and slo-mo. It is not shaped like the original Genesis controller and the picture on the Majesco box is correct.

The mode button is for compatibility with games that have non-standard controller polling methods. The 6-button controller works fine with most 3-button games without the use of the mode button. The controller was designed specifically and at extra cost to be as compatible as possible without the use of the mode button.

All four versions (including Megafire) were released in the U.S. in the order described above. I don't think the controller included with the model 3 Genesis was ever released in the U.K. or Europe but I'm not sure. I think the model 3 Genesis was only released in the U.S. and maybe Brazil which is why. I also don't know if the Megafire controller was released outside of the U.S. but it probably was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca78 View Post
    The 3-button controller with red letters came out first and was used though the Sonic pack-in era. Sega then released a Mega-fire red lettered controller which has individual turbo for each button. I believe the white lettered controller debuted in the model 1 core system package and was used throughout the model 2 era.
    The red lettered 3-button controller was used with the first batch of Sonic pack-in systems, but quickly changed. My Sonic pack-in system came with the white lettered controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, hey:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130898

So nobody really knows a lot about the 6-button controller that's shaped like a 3-button controller?

nebrazca, thanks, that was very informative.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I was wondering about these 3 button controller variations myself. There are further variations as well though:

1. Smooth D-Pad or Firm D-Pad?

2. Short cord or long cord?

3. flat plug or plug with raised bump?

All plugs with raised bumps I am led to believe came with Model 2 Genesis systems.

I don't know what variables determine cord length. My late 1993 Sonic Genesis 1 pack had a firm D-Pad, Short cord and white markings.

I don't know what determines D-Pad texture. Besides the red variation, I have seen both textures of D-Pads on all white marked variations.

I have never seen a red marked controller with a short cord, firm D-Pad or plug with a raised bump.

So I wonder what determines these minor variations?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The mode button is actually a usable button in some games. I know Shadow Squadron uses it for something, and you need it to do the cheat codes in Doom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    The red lettered 3-button controller was used with the first batch of Sonic pack-in systems, but quickly changed. My Sonic pack-in system came with the white lettered controller.
    Thanks for the correction, I did not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Oh, hey:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130898

So nobody really knows a lot about the 6-button controller that's shaped like a 3-button controller?

nebrazca, thanks, that was very informative.
    Wow, I remember seeing one of those a few years ago. They must be very rare, I haven't seen one for a long time and I didn't know they came with the model 3 system. Looks like I learned a couple new things today.