1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I guess I'm the odd man out once again, I found the game boring as hell. And I'm not entirely sure why, either. I wanted to enjoy it and for the most part I did, but that didn't keep the phrase "this is kinda boring" from creeping into my mind every now and then.
    I don't necessarily find it boring, but it can be frustrating at times as its really easy to die in the dungeons. Also, if you pick the game up after not playing it for awhile, it's a bitch to figure out what you're supposed to be doing next.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I didn't like how you could power up your sword until it was huge. Wish they hadn't done that nonsense.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I didn't like how you could power up your sword until it was huge. Wish they hadn't done that nonsense.
    Well, its a throwback to the Legend of Zelda. When your health bar is completely full you get a better effect, take one hit and the power goes back to normal. It is kinda crazy but its one thing I like about the game.

The entire game is a homage to classic RPGs, most obviously Zelda. There are many Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy references as well. The game is generally rather easy, except for the last 3 dungeons which can be a huge pain. After you complete the game you can unlock a 'spelunker' mode where one hit will kill you. Its necessary to beat spelunker mode to get the platinum trophy, so having a huge-ass sword will be very helpful.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    The entire game is a homage to classic RPGs, most obviously Zelda.
    Zelda. is not. an RPG.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Well, its a throwback to the Legend of Zelda. When your health bar is completely full you get a better effect, take one hit and the power goes back to normal. It is kinda crazy but its one thing I like about the game.
    This game took it to an extreme far beyond what any Zelda game has done. In the Zelda games your blade doesn't grow to huge proportions, attack much of the screen, and take a leap in power. You simply shoot out a energy beam directly ahead of you that isn't much more powerful than a normal swing of your sword. In fact I'm not entirely sure it's even more powerful in a game like Link to the Past. The primary advantage is just having a range weapon that's free to use at will as long as you're at full health.

3D Dot Game Heroe's sword mechanics are far crazier than those in the Zelda series and dragged the game down for me a tad bit. That's one area I wish they would've focused more on gameplay rather than trying to be humorous with their homages to classic gaming.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-13-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Zelda. is not. an RPG.
    Except for Zelda 2.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The big sword thing was something I did like. Not only was it amusing, it also has that kind of leveling up feel you get from RPGs mixed with a feeling of invincibility (which you basically are, once you've gotten the best sword and upgraded it fully).

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Except for Zelda 2.
    Which isn't the Zelda that 3ddgh is homaging.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I didn't think I'd like the game because of the 3D dot graphics and the ridiculously sized sword. I bought it when it was cheap and still didn't play it for a long time. When I did get around to playing it, I finished the normal mode then the Spelunker mode, then finally went to From mode and was on my way to getting the platinum and did everything until I found out that I was supposed to talk to the Armored Core guy after every single dungeon. So from there I just ended up quitting and haven't went back to it. I will eventually though.

Anyways, for those that play the game I'd recommend changing the games view. There are different viewing angles in the options menu. There are two that are overhead angles, one completely overhead while the other is mostly overhead slightly back just a little which I feel looked the best. The original viewing angle which showed everything from a straight ahead viewpoint would have ruined the game if I had to play the entire game like that. Dungeons have only have that one slightly drawn back overhead look.

The thing about the large sized sword. After actually playing the game, when you start the game out and with full health, the sword isn't massively sized taking the entire screen etc. It's not really until you're end game that you have a really massive sized sword, and even then, some enemies are immune to it, so getting damaged and losing the sword could still happen.

I thought the game was a lot of fun. I liked the original Legend of Zelda and Link's Awakening, but the four or five times I've played Link to the Past, I've always got extremely bored of the game either before or shortly after finishing the first dungeon(the first actual dungeon.)

I liked 3D Dot Game Heroes better than all the Zelda titles I've played that are similar. There was the oriignal game but so many side quests you could do that were pretty enjoyable. Also the mini games introduced were all extremely well done. I've actually never played a tower defense game prior to 3D Dot Game Heroes and thought it was amazing. I played the one Pixel Junk Monsters tower defense game afterwards and while it has more of a variety, I enjoyed the 3D Dot Game Heroes version more.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-18-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.