Thread: Star Ocean 4 International for PS3

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Star Ocean 4 International for PS3

It even has a date, so seems they've been working on the port awhile.

I can't really give a good opinion on Star Ocean 4 because I only played the beginning at a friends, but from what I played it was a little lackluster. Anyways, just like Tales of Vesperia being announced for the PS3, here's another, proving once again that most of the better games that aren't first party are timed releases only.

I'm guessing with the bluray disc, the PS3 version is going to be just like Tales of Vesperia with much more content added into it. With Tales there are new dungeons, new main quests, new side quests, new mini games, new playable characters, fully voiced, etc. Being an owner solely of the PS3 now, I don't mind timed exclusives when they get much more content than they'd otherwise get on the original version.

Maybe Square-Enix will fix the text. It could have just been the TV I was playing on.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=5181
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Ah, here come my RPGs! And all kinds of other good games. It should be enough to convince me to work harder on trying to get a job sooner. I want to be able to get all this cool stuff.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Much like with Tales, this is no surprise to me at all. I'm looking more forward to Tales tho, it's one of the few RPGs that can keep me interested anymore.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Star Ocean 4 is one of the only reasons I considered getting a 360. I love the Star Ocean series (although the dialogue and plot in 3 was among the worst I've ever seen), and I will get this. I know the reviews for the game are bad. I know the voice acting is still terrible. I play Star Ocean because it always has a great battle system and always has a great item creation system.

And if battles and item creation suck, then I'll still get it, because I feel obligated as a follower of the series. Plus, I haven't had a chance to test my trophy-hunting skills on a JRPG.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love Star Ocean II for the PS1. I know people slate it for the "bad" voice acting and the plot starts out great but begins to fail on the second disc, but I can't help it. Tempted by this...!
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't say that the voice acting was all that bad on the Xbox 360 version, but after a few hours, I found that Star Ocean was boring me to tears. The only other one I have played is the SFC version, which I thought was much more interesting. The battles are bland, unchallenging, are too frequent, and end too quickly. In fact, the battles remind me of a 3-D Final Fight. The story had a lot of potential, but instead of focusing on the nuclear apocalypse on Earth, it focuses on some "Lost in Space" style of plot. So much missed potential.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post
    I love Star Ocean II for the PS1. I know people slate it for the "bad" voice acting and the plot starts out great but begins to fail on the second disc, but I can't help it. Tempted by this...!
    The voice acting in SO2 is tremendous. It's incredibly awful, but memorable and funny. It helps that you don't need to endure the voices outside of battle. That changed with SO3, which had a billion talking cutscenes that were all slow and agonizing. But SO2... man. "COME HERE, BARNEY." "CRAWD." "Home, home! I'm going home!" So many classic lines.

SO2 is hands down one of my favorite games of all time. I've beaten it probably 15 times, without exaggeration.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    The voice acting in SO2 is tremendous. It's incredibly awful, but memorable and funny. It helps that you don't need to endure the voices outside of battle. That changed with SO3, which had a billion talking cutscenes that were all slow and agonizing. But SO2... man. "COME HERE, BARNEY." "CRAWD." "Home, home! I'm going home!" So many classic lines.

SO2 is hands down one of my favorite games of all time. I've beaten it probably 15 times, without exaggeration.
    I know that you're talking about the PSX version which had pretty much no voice acting outside of battle. But man. The PSP one had a ton of voice acting. It was good but there was alot.

Nearly every forced part in the game has voice acting. I think there was only one small part in Second Evolution that was a forced story part that didn't have voice acting. Even alot of PA's had voice acting.

The bad thing about the PSP version though is that you can't just read it and skip the voices like you could on First Departure. Every part that has voice acting won't allow you to skip one bit of it. The voice acting is fairly good though, so it's not that, but if you're at one part of the game, and you have to go somewhere soon, you don't really want to be around there an hour without even being able to save. It also makes for the beginning story part with both Claude and Rena(especially Claude though,) far more time consuming than it is in the original release.

If you ask me though. First Departure had the better voice acting. Amazing game, too. I'm so glad they remade it to be Star Ocean the Second Story quality.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.