Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IGN.com review not so fond of Gran Turismo for PSP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default IGN.com review not so fond of Gran Turismo for PSP

I was pretty shocked at the review that ign.com gave for GT for PSP, 6.8/10, ouch! I can't remember a Gran Turismo game getting such a low score. I've read on several forums that ign kisses Microsoft's ass sometimes though, so who knows if this is even an objective review? Oh well, have to wait and see what the other reviews are going to be like. Here's the ign review: http://psp.ign.com/articles/102/1024698p1.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

Oh god yeah they kiss their ass, you can just tell they have that shitty IGN strategizer on the XBL dashboard they'll never say anything bad about Microsoft.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It is very shocking, but I don't think it has anything to do with anyone prefering Microsoft. IGN is set up so that each console and handheld has one or a few reviewers just for that platform. So whoever wrote this review probably has already done a ton of reviews for PSP and has a lot of respect for the system.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    I was pretty shocked at the review that ign.com gave for GT for PSP, 6.8/10, ouch! I can't remember a Gran Turismo game getting such a low score. I've read on several forums that ign kisses Microsoft's ass sometimes though, so who knows if this is even an objective review? Oh well, have to wait and see what the other reviews are going to be like. Here's the ign review: http://psp.ign.com/articles/102/1024698p1.html
    Did you actually even read the review? Unless the guy is a complete liar, he explains that he is a huge GT fan and goes into great detail about why the PSP version is lacking. Not having any real career mode or ability to upgrade your car is a huge deficiency since it's the basis of the entire game series up to this point. Who the heck just wants a racing game with a lot of cars and tracks? That's like every other crummy racing game out there even if it is slightly prettier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I read the entire review, and the fact that there is no career mode sucks, I just wasn't expecting that low of a score.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It should have come out two years ago. The game loses a full point for each year it's late. So really the review should be a 8.8/10. Instead, it sucks.
    #vbender

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    StetsonGraves

I listen to the IGN podcasts and Chris Roper is probably the biggest Gran Turismo fan in the world, so I trust his opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was just reading some other site's reviews for the game and they seem to have a pretty favorable stance on it. The fact that Roper scored it the way he did just because it doesn't have a full blown career mode is a bit harsh. It's like he's expecting a console gaming experience from a handheld system and game, not likely.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I was just reading some other site's reviews for the game and they seem to have a pretty favorable stance on it. The fact that Roper scored it the way he did just because it doesn't have a full blown career mode is a bit harsh. It's like he's expecting a console gaming experience from a handheld system and game, not likely.
    We're talking about the PSP though. It is a system that is essentially a miniaturized PS2. There are lots of PSP games that are essentially just PS2 ports and which provide a full console gaming experience, so there is absolutely no reason the game couldn't have every single feature that the PS2 versions of Gran Turismo have.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's like he's expecting a console gaming experience from a handheld system and game, not likely.
    Wipeouts Pure and Pulse were far superior to Wipeout Fusion for the PS2 (which I liked).

Ridge Racer for PSP was better than Ridge Racer V.

The expectation that PSP GT would be better than GT3 and 4 is reasonable. Gran Turismo without a career mode? Heinous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I mean some PSP games are as good or better than their console versions, and some aren't. I hope GT PSP is equally as good as the PS2 versions. Geez they've been working on it for what 5 years now?! I'm just making the point though that not all portable versions of games are going to be equal to their console versions, and I think that's partially how Roper scored the game?
    Last edited by duffmanth; 09-15-2009 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It was destined for failure anyways, the PSP lacks a proper way to control something like a Gran Turismo title thanks to the poor analog nub that PSP's come equipped with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Suprise Suprise a PSP version of a dated and tired franchise get meh scores. I loved Gran Tursimo back in the day, but the series need a reboot not a rehash. Add on top of that the insane $39.99 sticker and you got yourself a game that will go on sale pretty quickly. Alot of websites are saying the same thing. Look nice, but is sorely missing key Gran Tursimo aspects.

No career mode is retarded BTW

They had like five years to make the game, and they couldnt put that in sheesh
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    It was destined for failure anyways, the PSP lacks a proper way to control something like a Gran Turismo title thanks to the poor analog nub that PSP's come equipped with.
    This plus no "career" mode = fail.

I love Gran Turismo and all, but with the amount of time they've taken to get their new games out, most folks have moved on to greener pastures. I know I have.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The analog stick never bothered me, I've always used the D-pad for Gran Turismo any way. I'm still going to buy the game because I've been a huge fan of the series pretty much since the beginning. It's nice when a portable version of a particular game equals or exceeds its console versions, but I don't expect them to. I don't expect most portable games to be as good as their console versions, cuz a lot of the time they aren't. People can't expect them to be either, with handheld systems, there's always going to be hardware limitations.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 09-16-2009 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

My friend will be livid when he hears this.

I never liked the series, but it's a shame that certain, important features that "make" the game are not included.

Could they potentially add that via a patch?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm hoping maybe they can add a career mode and other things the game is lacking via a software update? The fact that there is no career mode is completely messed. I'm beginning to wonder if Polyphony is just releasing this game as a "scaled down" version to tide people over until GT5 comes out?! But after 4-5 years, you would think it wouldn't be, I don't know?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No real career mode or car upgrades? I'm not so fond of Gran Turismo for PSP either.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Hopefully GT5 is the epitome of badass racing games.

Anyways. Didn't Polyphony Digital say they were going to make a GT Portable but were going to wait until the release of GT5(and this was said after the release of Prologue?) So yeah. I doubt GT Portable was 4-5 years in the making like everyone here is trying to suggest yet was only announced to be released. It probably wasn't even a year in the making as we only started getting screenshots of it and features this year alone, while GT5 we obviously know about that since GTHD and GT5 Prologue.

About the review though. I actually agree. If there's no sortof career mode or anything like that, then what is honestly the use of playing the game. If racing fans wanted a good career mode, they'd go over and play Forza 2 and assuming Forza 3 is just as good or better, then they'd play that. Or they'd end up playing the massive Test Drive Unlimited one player mode.

I'm sure GT5 won't have the same fate as GT Portable because it's one game they've really been working on for quite some time. If GT5 Prologue shows what's in store for gamers of GT5 with everything GT games have had previously yet with the inclusion of damage(which it's now getting,) 80+ tracks, and over 1000 cars, then this one would probably be the one to wait for if you're really a fan of the series or racing games in general.

I for one am waiting for Test Drive Unlimited 2 over GT5, but I'm still picking it up shortly after release.

*edit*

Here's hoping TDU2 comes to the PS3.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-18-2009 at 08:54 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i remember that Sony announced GT for PSP at least 3-4 years ago. Whether they've actually been working on it for that long, I don't know? I just hope GT5 is coming out by year's end, wishful thinking maybe, but it's been over 5 years since GT4. Get the game out already!