Thread: Atari Mult-Game Selector Cartridge thingy (Prototype?)

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Atari Mult-Game Selector Cartridge thingy (Prototype?)

Take a look at this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I figured I'd let you guys see this before it sells. I'm not sure what it is exactly. Pirate? Prototype? Programming tool? I dunno.

This is something more suited for the AtariAge forum, but I didn't see any threads already made for it. (And I mainly hang out on this forum) If someone could be so kind to make a thread for it in the prototypes area of that forum I'm sure some guys there would like to see it. (and since it's currently at $169 then maybe they've already seen it.)
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

It almost reminds me of something my electronics teacher in high school told us he made to "share" games. A socketed cartridge to swap out EPROMS (or PROMS which are cheaper and have no window). The thing that tells me that this probally isn't the case is that the chip in the bottom left corner is stamped "Cosmic Raider". Was that even an Atari game? Or Close Encounters for that matter?
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

All of the chips looks like masked ROM's, meaning they aren't prototypes. Bidding for this shouldn't have gone over $20. I think people have no idea what they are bidding on. The chips that aren't 2600 games were released for other systems, I doubt they would work on that 2600 zif cartridge. Star Maze was Atari 8-bit, Cosmic Raiders was Astrocade.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As already stated, these are mask (production) ROMs. It is just an ordinary cartridge with a ZIF socket installed, allowing you to swap out the ROMs (incompatible with EPROMs by the way). It is pretty much worthless, the buyer does not know what they are getting themselves into... which is sad. A lot of real prototypes do not even sell for this high. Here is an AtariAge thread about it:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic..._fromsearch__1

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wickeycolumbus View Post
    As already stated, these are mask (production) ROMs. It is just an ordinary cartridge with a ZIF socket installed, allowing you to swap out the ROMs (incompatible with EPROMs by the way). It is pretty much worthless, the buyer does not know what they are getting themselves into... which is sad. A lot of real prototypes do not even sell for this high. Here is an AtariAge thread about it:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic..._fromsearch__1
    Wow, I had no idea. I figured it might have been something since I had never heard of Cosmic Raiders and Close Encounters, but it seems that the person selling this device might've just had a bunch of damaged carts laying around and he took out the chips and put it with this to make it look interesting.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!