Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am i Crazy for Not Really Liking Left 4 Dead?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

Default Am i Crazy for Not Really Liking Left 4 Dead?

I have started playing left 4 dead, i got the game of the year edition from amazon, but to be honest i am not that impressed with it. I see all the awards it has and all the good reviews, and tried to convince myself at first it was good, but so far am a little underwhelmed. Its just the graphics, and physics things i find odd, and it seems like it will get old very fast. What is it about the game that some of you enjoy, maybe i need to play it a different way?
    Autobots. Roll out.

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got bored of it fairly quickly as well. However I'm not big on shooters to begin with. Most of the fun is playing with buddies online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really liked it at first, but as I kept playing, I got a feeling of "oh... that's it?" It's not that great of a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Same as J_Factor although i didnt even really like it at first.
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's the hordes and hordes of Zombies that everyone likes. It's very much like 28 days later and makes you feel you're actually in a Zombie infestation. Having said that, as it only really has 4 levels, it can get old quite quickly.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eh, I liked it. I could totally see how someone could get tired of it quickly.
    Those fucking zombies can even find you in the bathroom with the door closed and the lights off. It's not safe anywhere!

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

i can see it getting old quick playing by yourself. the ai just isn't as fun. teamwork is really where most of this game's fun comes from, and there's no way for the ai to join in on your strategies. i play it with my friend on splitscreen and we have a blast. never tried it on live, but i imagine four players is even better.

i do wish it had more weapon variety, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

I can't seem to get sick of the multiplayer... I think the game is so much fun.. probably my favorite the 360! The single player mode got old real quick though (after beating all of the campaigns).

Pretzel (Level 4) miaandjohnrule's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OriginalRope

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifersam1 View Post
    I can't seem to get sick of the multiplayer... I think the game is so much fun.. probably my favorite the 360! The single player mode got old real quick though (after beating all of the campaigns).
    I'm with you here. My wife and I love to play it together, single player wouldn't have kept me interested this long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

i played online a few times but mainly was playing with my buddy offline yesterday, i will need to play some more online to make a better judgement i guess? What exactly is the survival pack content on the goty edition?
    Autobots. Roll out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My brother had this game and got tired of it really quickly. I watched him play it the whole time and it did look extremely repetitive.

The sequel (which he still thinks should have been called Left 2 Die) looks fun to me. The areas are more interesting and it looks like there's a better weapon selection. But too bad I would rather play on PS3...good job Gabe.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vinnysdad
    PSN
    Vinnysdad

Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    i played online a few times but mainly was playing with my buddy offline yesterday, i will need to play some more online to make a better judgement i guess? What exactly is the survival pack content on the goty edition?

The survival pack content is like horde on Gears of War 2. You just try to survive wave after wave of zombies and special infected in one area of a map.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

It would be nice the game feature role reversal. Say you are the only zombie in town and your goal is trying to infect the entire city of humans.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't like it. Pretty generic. Framerate is ass in split-screen, which is all I played. Enough to give me a headache. Which is rare, since FPS is one of my favorite genres.

Not to say you couldn't like it, but I think there's dozens of better shooters out there. Seems suspiciously like affinity for the title was generated via the Valve logo on the box...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    It would be nice the game feature role reversal. Say you are the only zombie in town and your goal is trying to infect the entire city of humans.
    That would be Stubbs the Zombie. Just has a bit more flatulence than Left 4 Dead.

I guess I'm somewhat of an oddity after reading this. Left 4 Dead is the only FPS that I'll play multiplayer. I've never been sucked into the Halo/Call of Duty (or even Gears of War) phenomenon. None of those ever had the same intensity level as what L4D can generate for me. It's a ton more accessible to someone that doesn't spent countless hours honing their skills and I enjoy just blasting wave after wave of enemies. Great for a quick fix!
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I personally really enjoyed L4D both single and multiplayer mostly for vs. I would never have paid full retail for it though as I don't feel there was or even now is content enough to justify a full 60.00 retail price. I paid 40 for it and felt that it was a good deal at that price. I'm sure some love is generated by the Valve logo but it wasn't really part of my purchase decision but then again who develped a game usually has very little to do with my purchase decisions as I find just as many crap titles from AAA developers as I do actual fun/good games from third tier developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I actually just got this a few days ago and am neither loving it, or hating it. I like the stories (played through the first 3 so far) and will give online a shot once I finish single player.

It's interesting to say the least, but some things one would expect to be in a FPS game are not there. No iron sight aiming? Seriously? That makes NO sense what so ever.

Use the grenade and it doesn't go back to the gun you had out before, it goes back to the 'main' weapon. I screwed up getting an achievement in the last scene because it returned me to the M-16 instead of the pistols that I had out before I tossed the pipebomb, and as I was being rushed I held down the trigger, only to see the assault rifle blast off a few rounds instead of my dual pistols. Bye bye achievement.

I also don't get the whole, clear a room, and 20 seconds later, a zombie swarm are just pouring out of the room to jack up your day. Thats fine when there's a hole in the ceiling/wall for them to come through, but a small room that had nothing in it 30 seconds before now has 75 zombies charging you is just total bullshit. Add to that the Boomer that just shows up there too puking on you calling MORE zombies forward just makes it even cheaper. That plus random spawning zombies in a zone that there clearly were none right before also irks me. It would feel more authentic when you've cleared a room/open area and to be blitzed by them, rather than to clear an area, only to turn around and find one laying on the ground, 'waking up' to your presence when it wasn't there a second ago.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Short answer: No

Long answer: No there are other reasons that you're Crazy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great game online but half the fun is gone if you play it offline though.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

overrated as hell. the same 4 scenarios, it doesnt matter how you shake it up, its the same 4 scenarios that do not change at all. it really doesnt convey a sense of dread, like a real zombie invasion. i hope the next one gives it more of a resident evil feel.

for some reason a zillion zombies running at me doesn't seem as scary as a dark hallway with just 2 or 3 zombies that are a lot harder to take down.