Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's All Play-Current challenge: Beat Outrun - end in one of the bottom 3 goals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Let's All Play-Current challenge: Beat Outrun - end in one of the bottom 3 goals

Would anyone else be interested in setting up a Let's All Play?

I will update this thread with all the new missions and the names of those who beat them. Whoever beats a mission first (and posts about it) will pick the next mission. Whoever picks a mission cannot pick the next mission.

CURRENT MISSION
    Mission #13 - Beat Outrun ending in one of the three bottom goals - [link to mission post for exact rules] (expires 12/21/09 @ 11:59 PM EDT) - mission chosen by c0ldb33r
    • Beaten before expiry by:
    TOP SCORERS
    Who has beaten the most missions?

#1. XYXZYZ (9), kupomogli (9)

#2. DDCecil (7)

#3. j_factor (6)

#4. c0ldb33r (5)

#5. Cryomancer (3), Sparkster (3), Ed Oscuro (3)

#6. Jehusephat (2), BHvrd (2), Scissors (2), fahlim003 (2)

#7. scoo terb23 (1), Leo_Ames (1), Aussie2B (1), darkweb (1), Icarus Moonsight (1), starsoldier1 (1), Nonplus (1), Arasoi (1)

Note: only missions that are beaten before the mission expires will be counted in the top scores! Time of completion will be based on the time stamp of your DP post.
    LIST OF EXPIRED MISSIONS

Mission #1 - Beat all 32 levels of SMB without warping - [link to mission post for exact rules] (expires 09/26/09 @ 11:59 PM EDT) - mission chosen by c0ldb33r
    • Beaten before expiry by: c0ldb33r, DDCecil, scooterb23, Cryomancer, XYXZYZ, kupomogli, Jehusephat, BHvrd, Sparkster, Leo_Ames

Mission #2 - Ninja Gaiden II - beat 1-1 to 3-3 using only your sword - [link to mission post for exact rules] (expires 10/03/09 @ 11:59 PM EDT) - mission chosen by DDCecil
    • Beaten before expiry by: kupomogli, Jehusephat, XYXZYZ, DDCecil, Cryomancer, j_factor, BHvrd

Mission #3 - Beat Castlevania in one continue, use bat shortcut on level one - [link to mission post for exact rules] (expires 10/10/09 @ 11:59 PM EDT) - mission chosen by kupomogli
    • Beaten before expiry by: j_factor, kupomogli, XYXZYZ, DDCecil

Mission #4 - Gain Ground - Defeat the Round 3 boss on hard mode - [link to mission post for exact rules] (expires 10/17/09 @ 11:59 PM EDT) - mission chosen by j_factor
    • Beaten before expiry by: kupomogli, j_factor

Mission #5 - Alien Soldier - Finish stage 1 of Alien Soldier on default settings - [link to mission post for exact rules] (expires 10/24/09 @ 11:59 PM EDT) - mission chosen by kupomogli
    • Beaten before expiry by: j_factor, kupomogli, c0ldb33r, DDCecil, XYXZYZ

Mission #6 - Kirby Super Star - Beat the Dyna Blade game without the use of helpers - [link to mission post for exact rules] (expires 10/31/09 @ 11:59 PM EDT) - mission chosen by j_factor
    • Beaten before expiry by: XYXZYZ, j_factor, DDCecil, Sparkster, Cryomancer

Mission #7 - Kung Fu (NES) - Break 100,000 on game B - [link to mission post for exact rules] (expires 11/07/09 @ 11:59 PM EDT) - mission chosen by XYXZYZ
    • Beaten before expiry by: kupomogli, XYXZYZ, DDCecil, c0ldb33r, j_factor

Mission #8 - Boxxle (GameBoy) - Beat Stages 01-01 through 01-10 - [link to mission post for exact rules] (expires 11/14/09 @ 11:59 PM EDT) - mission chosen by j_factor
    • Beaten before expiry by: Scissors, Aussie2B, Sparkster, darkweb, DDCecil, kupomogli, XYXZYZ

Mission #9 - Metal Storm (NES) - Beat on Normal Difficulty - [link to mission post for exact rules] (expires 11/21/09 @ 11:59 PM EDT) - mission chosen by Scissors
    • Beaten before expiry by: XYXZYZ, Scissors, c0ldb33r, kupomogli

Mission #10 - R-Type - Beat levels 1, 2 and 3 in a single credit - [link to mission post for exact rules] (expires 11/28/09 @ 11:59 PM EDT) - mission chosen by c0ldb33r
    • Beaten before expiry by: Icarus Moonsight, Ed Oscuro, XYXZYZ, starsoldier1, Nonplus, c0ldb33r, kupomogli

Mission #11 - Complete the first three stages of Super Contra arcade version without dying - [link to mission post for exact rules] (expires 12/05/09 @ 11:59 PM EDT) - mission chosen by Ed Obscuro
    • Beaten before expiry by: Arasoi, Ed Oscuro, fahlim003

Mission #12 - Beat The first 5 stages of Space Manbow using only 1 continue - [link to mission post for exact rules] (expires 12/12/09 @ 11:59 PM EDT) - mission chosen by Arasoi
    • Beaten before expiry by: Ed Oscuro, fahlim003
    WHAT ARE THE RULES?

Rules

1. It is acceptable to use an emulator (assuming that you own the cart, we don't want to worry about copyright issues).

2. If you do use an emulator, you are not allowed to save/load states. You can use password/continues that are normally available in the game though. If playing an actual console and cartridge, you can continue as much as the game allows. You don't need to play through all in one continue.

3. You must describe in your write-up what method you used to play the game (which console, which emulator, etc..)

4. You cannot use a Game Genie or similar cheating device (e.g. Action Replay, etc...)

5. You may use cheat codes that are normally available in the game IF the rules for that particular mission allow for them. If the rules say that you are not allowed to use the codes, or is silent on the issue, then you may not use codes. (For instance, if the mission rules say that you can use the 30 man code in Contra, then you may do so. If the rules say that you cannot use codes, or doesn't say anything on the topic, then you may not)

6. If a game is available for a number of different systems (because of ports) then you may play any port of the game IF it is practically identical to the original port (you'll have to use some discretion here). I suggest that those who create the mission rules should address this issue. If you want to limit people to a particular version, say so. However, keep in mind that allowing ports will increase the available number of players.

7. If applicable, mission rules should state at which difficulty the game should be played. If nothing is stated in the game rules, it will be played at the default difficulty. If there is no default difficulty, unless specified the difficulty will be medium/normal.

8. The person making the mission rules for a game may add, remove or alter any of the above rules for their game.
    These rules are based on the honesty of other DPers, so please be honest
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 12-15-2009 at 07:43 PM.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Something that doesn't take ages to complete, please. Maniac Mansion and Shadowgate are good games... but they're frustrating to some of us.

I'd be in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

As long as I have the game so I can play it, it should be fun to do. As long as work doesn't get in the way for me, it seems I haven't had much free time to play games lately(I've been meaning to play some games months ago but still haven't got around to them).

Even without goals it could work, like if we're supposed to play a certain game by a certain date we can all talk about how we did with them and how far we got.

I actually really like adventure games, but I don't have the NES versions of Maniac Mansion or Shadowgate. I'm hoping to find them at some point. It might work better to use actual freeware releases of games(not necessarily abandonware) as anyone can get them.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I could be interested in this too, yeah. Something like that annual "everyone play Earthbound" deal I keep meaning to try perhaps.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

That sounds like a decent idea, although Bald Bull isn't that far in. Mr. Sandman would be a cooler goal.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    I could be interested in this too, yeah. Something like that annual "everyone play Earthbound" deal I keep meaning to try perhaps.
    Maybe we should do a "everyone let's play" on a game that's freely avaliable online. Not everybody here has a copy of Earthbound and those that would want to play might have to use teh romz.

For instance, Cave Story is an excellent game that's completely free. I'm sure that there are other games like that such as La-Mulana, I Wanna Be The Guy*, and Bonesaw.

*Maybe not the best idea for a let's play. It has driven people insane.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, since this is our first one, let's do a simple game and goal. This challenge is based on this thread. Everyone has at least one version of SMB, also the challenge shouldn't take too long, so even those of us with significant work constraints can join in. I know that I said I wanted stuff that was less mainstream and didn't want Mario or Sonic, but I guess I'm just a big fat liar

MISSION 1: SUPER MARIO BROS.

Original system: NES
    Available for play on: NES cartridge, GBA Classics Series, Gamecube - Animal Crossing unlockable game, Wii Virtual console, Gameboy Color - Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, Super Nintendo: Super Mario All Stars, also countless pirate carts (let me know if I've missed any)
    Your mission: Beat the game without warping
    Due date: Saturday, September 26, 2009 @ 11:59 PM (Eastern time)
    Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to beat all of Super Mario Bros without warping. You've got to play every level. I've never beaten all 32 levels on the NES version, only the GBC version. It's a little easier on the GBC version because you can save your progress. NOTE: You do not need to beat the extra levels, only the initial playthrough.

Feel free to either record a video or snap a few pics of your playthrough. If you just want to use text, that's cool too. Post about what troubles you had, things that you may have forgotten about, those damn castles with the mazes (remember, you only get the audio clue on the SNES version, the NES version doesn't have them).

TIP: To continue, hold A at the game over screen. When you get back to the menu, keep holding A and press start on the 1 Player or 2 Player menu. You'll start again at the beginning of the world you were in.

*ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO TAKE ON THE KOOPA KINGDOM?*

Whoever beats the entire game and posts about it the quickest gets to pick next week's Mission (except it won't be me, no one can pick two missions in a row). This can't be from a previous playthrough, you've got to do it fresh. Also, we're sticking to the honour system, so be honest.
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 09-20-2009 at 03:42 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

If I get some free time, I'm in.

Insert Coin (Level 0) MissingNo_1231's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this sounds like an awesome idea. I guess I'll try and give it a go.
    Wild MissingNo. Has Appeared!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*MISSION #1 ACCOMPLISHED*

Well, I'm done. This mission was WAY too easy, but it was a decent starter mission just to get things going.

Here are my thoughts on the game:
    • My wife and I played the game together 2 player. I was Mario, she was Luigi. I died a bunch of times, in 1-2 and 4-3. I got game over a few times and had to continue. I had to continue on worlds 5 and 8. My wife died repeatedly. She made it as far as 1-3 then would get game over. When I continued, she would be bumped up to the continued world with me. It wasn't really fair, she couldn't make it past 1-3 but had to play worlds 5-1, 6-1 and 8-1.

• Damn, some of the swimming levels were hard. The fish and octopusses (octopi?) were working together to corner me.

• I kept having a real hard time keeping my fire flower through the castle levels. I kept getting hit and had to fight bowser as little Mario. I think I only ended up killing him with fireballs two times out of the eight worlds.

• I had to fight through world 8-4 about 10 times. I always ended up as small Mario and the hammer brother kept killing me (not with hammers, he would land on me as I tried to run under him).

I played the game on my NES toploader using my Powerpak and my NES Advantage. I took these pictures with my DSi, sorry for the crappy quality - my other cameras were in the car. I'm happy that I now can say that I beat all of SMB.

edit: FYI, whoever posts their win next gets to pick the next mission. It won't be effective until this one closes (next Saturday at midnight), so don't go jumping the gun people
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 09-20-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: explained that I used NES toploader

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

So can we use the save feature in Super Mario All-Stars?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    So can we use the save feature in Super Mario All-Stars?
    Sure, if I had wanted to limit it to the NES version, I would have excluded the SNES version from the mission notes. Go nuts and (provided the battery still works) save in the SNES version. In your write-up, just be sure to explain that you were using the SNES version. It might be cool to get a different POV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

How about I stream it so anyone who wants to watch can? Edit: Stream notice reply 8 posts down

This could be fun to ustream, especially on games where people might need help and others can help, I won't need help with this game though, I gots this one covered, so come watch take a snapshot or two or record some, either way, I will soon be added to your list Mr. c0ldb33r.

Btw, i'm using emu to play, but i'm not using load state and will not even be using A+Start. If I make it fine, if I don't fine, but I don't think any save state should be aloud. If any of this is a problem i'll drop out now, I played these games as a kid and i'm truely in it for the experience and fun and so far I don't agree with the rules, save stating ain't cool imo even on snes. Also if I need to whip out my nes and play I will, thought it would just be fun to stream it. Sorry but the rules here seem kinda half ass.

Edit: Anyone who was watching my stream earlier I apoligize, I was having technical issues which are now all ironed out, it also looks and sounds a WHOLE lot better.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 09-21-2009 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Sorry but the rules here seem kinda half ass.
    Yeah, that's kind of on-purpose. I'm trying to keep it more about playing the game and trying to keep the technicalities to a minimum. BUT you're right, maybe we should set some rules. I've edited the initial post to include some rules. If any more rules need to be added, someone let me know and I'll add them.
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 09-20-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well, got to level 7-4 with 2 lives 517,250 points and ran out of time once and feel in the lava the other time. Been a long time since i've played straight through, but wow, what fun.

I'll give it another shot maybe tonight or before the 26th. Good stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

This should be fun but do we have to take a photo?

I don't have access to a camera at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
    This should be fun but do we have to take a photo?
    Nope, no requirement to take a photo or anything. We're based on the honour system around here. I only took some to add some pizzazz to my post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think I've ever played SMB without warping. It should be a challenge since I have no idea what 1-3 looks like as a level.

I'm in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay...as of right now, my best performance is 3-4, which goes to show how little I've played the game without warping.

The fact that I can't even get to level 4 without using a warp pipe saddens me greatly.

I will definitely have another go ASAP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Sounds like fun. It's been a while since I played without warping but I should be able to do it. I used to know the game forwards and bakwards since it was all I had growing up but it's been a looong time since I tried. There are a few levels that I seem to recall that may be a bit difficult though.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...