Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Let's All Play-Current challenge: Beat Outrun - end in one of the bottom 3 goals

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'd say whoever finished the Outrun one should get to choose one. I did but at work right now. I'll choose a game once I get home if no one chose one yet.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was the first to complete it, so I guess I'll give it a go. I'll edit in my suggestion in a few minutes, I have a couple of ideas I'm going over.

If this meets with approval from everyone, this weeks challenge will be the excellent CBS Electronics arcade port for the Atari 2600 of a underlooked Midway gem from the early 1980s, Solar Fox.

You must clear all 20 racks in the game, not including challenge racks. If you're skilled/lucky enough to complete a rack before the "Skip-A-Rack" timer ends, that's fair game. So feel free to take advantage of the timer to skip a rack on your way to finishing the 20th rack.

You must play on Game 1, which offers the standard 1 player game. You can set the difficulty switch for fast or slow cruise speed, whichever you prefer.

The game was only ported to 1 home console, the Atari 2600. Most people with a 2600 collection should have this gem in their library, and setting up a 2600 emulator with the rom for Solar Fox should take well under 5 minutes for anyone that doesn't own it (Go to AtariAge for the files such as 2600 emulators that you'll need if you lack the original game and a 2600).

Because of significant differences, the Commodore 64 port and the arcade original aren't elligible for this contest (Although they're great games in their own right). I doubt anyone would be utilizing either release anyways.

I think this provides a fair challenge for those unfamiliar with the game and for those that haven't played it in years. It can also be done pretty quickly, so multiple attempts to complete it shouldn't be discouraged. It's also an attractive and entertaining game, so I think even those that usually don't play the Atari 2600 will be able to enjoy their time trying to complete this challenge. It's graphics and audio are superior to most 2600 releases, in my opinion.

Here are some helpful links:

AtariAge's database entry for Solar Fox, providing any information you'd need, including the manual.

http://www.atariage.com/software_pag...areLabelID=448

AtariAge's emulation listing for Atari 2600 emulators, offering links to several popular 2600 emulators.

http://www.atariage.com/2600/emulati...?SystemID=2600
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-28-2009 at 11:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No punches pulled here, folks! I have a VCS but not this cartridge, so I guess this will be another attempt to foray into the wooly world of VCS emulation for me. Hopefully a successful one. Any tips? I'm sure I can find the image easily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I actually have that game. Time to hook up the old Atari -- haven't played it in months.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

How about we make a high score thread instead? No need to complete within a week. Just aim for the highest score at whatever game you choose. If someone beats that high score you can attempt to outscore them to retain the highest score, or maybe beat your own high score and stick that up there.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think this is clearly dead and can be unsticked by a moderator.

If anyone else does read this though, I still say Solar Fox on the Atari 2600 is a underappreciated gem and urge people to give it a go.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Windancer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can I use my PCengine version to do this? or is it just genny?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Outrun competition ended a while ago and this thing is now defunct. It just hasn't been unsticked yet by a moderator.