Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Going to pick this one up today from Toys R Us. They're having the standard $20 gift card as an incentive, but you also get an ODST figure for free as well, which is just a fun extra. Plus I have a $30 TRU gift card anyway, which will mean I spend $30 and get back the game, the $20 card, and the $10 figure. Sounds like a break even to me!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Overrated doesn't being to describe Halo 3 ODST.
    You posted this at 10:00 pm at night the day before ODST was released. How could you possibly know that the game is overrated? Why bother reading a thread about ODST if you could care less about it and will never play it?

I picked it up yesterday and played a tiny bit of it. It's pretty much Halo 3 II in my eyes which is cool with me. Definitely feels the same. Love the HUD and the feel of the whole thing so far.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

ODST = Orbital Drop Shock Trooper

I bought mine from Amazon yesterday for $46. Shipping out today so hopefully I will have it next week. Included was a $15 coupon good towards my next video game purchase, so that was pretty cool.

Unfortunately I do not believe the maps in ODST can be downloaded and played in Halo 3.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    Unfortunately I do not believe the maps in ODST can be downloaded and played in Halo 3.
    Got mine at TRU today and it's a two disk set, with the second disk being "The Complete Halo 3 Multiplayer Experience". It comes with all 24 maps, including the ones in pervious map packs that were downloadable. If you were like me and never spent the MS points on them, this is just even more of a bonus.

My TRU was out of the game itself, but had 2 of the free figures left - not sure how that math worked out. So I was sent to another store to get the game, was told they had 8 in stock but when I got there they were down to 3 left. Oh, and they were out of the free figure. So I got the game and went back across town where they were able to give me their LAST free figure to complete the set. After all was said and done with my gift cards, the game, figure, and $20 gift card cost me just over $8. Not bad!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    You posted this at 10:00 pm at night the day before ODST was released. How could you possibly know that the game is overrated? Why bother reading a thread about ODST if you could care less about it and will never play it?
    First off, it's got Halo 3 right in the title. Out of everyone who has owned a 360, who hasn't played Halo 3. Honestly? Halo STD is a game that is about nothing more than a less durable character than Master Chief with, most likely, all of the gameplay mechanics that make Halo 3, Halo 3. Big fucking whoop.

But yeah. I forgot. Halo redefined the FPS genre. A shitty first party FPS that only received the rating it got because it was the best on the system(and a first party game with a good multiplayer system when Halo 2 came out.) The best FPS on a system of mostly FPS titles that sucked. The first FPS most people have ever experienced other than hearing the words Duke Nukem or Doom thrown around on the internet.

But yeah. 2 million sales of the next FPS in a series which has always been average since the first game. That's not overrated. Not one bit. You're right.

*edit*

And during that previous post of mine, the game already had over a million preorders.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-23-2009 at 09:06 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

First off, it's got Halo 3 right in the title. Out of everyone who has owned a 360, who hasn't played Halo 3. Honestly? Halo STD is a game that is about nothing more than a less durable character than Master Chief with, most likely, all of the gameplay mechanics that make Halo 3, Halo 3. Big fucking whoop.

But yeah. I forgot. Halo redefined the FPS genre. A shitty first party FPS that only received the rating it got because it was the best on the system(and a first party game with a good multiplayer system when Halo 2 came out.) The best FPS on a system of mostly FPS titles that sucked. The first FPS most people have ever experienced other than hearing the words Duke Nukem or Doom thrown around on the internet.

But yeah. 2 million sales of the next FPS in a series which has always been average since the first game. That's not overrated. Not one bit. You're right.
    Does this mean you won't be picking it up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

in a series which has always been average since the first game.
    I mostly agreed till you made this statement.

The first game "at the time" was a godsend for me. The campaign from the first game was a masterpiece and the other 2 have been garbage and nowhere near as masterfully paced.

The game has really evolved into mostly nothing but multiplayer and that saddens me. The first Halo "imo" is a masterpiece that will probably never be re-created. To me it was perfect in every way.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 09-23-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deltoid Steep
    PSN
    Deltoid-Steep

60 dollars for an expansion....think I'll wait a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

*edit*

And during that previous post of mine, the game already had over a million preorders.
    I love when people argue with nothing but opinions. Opinions that aren't backed up by anything but opinions. On top of that, your opinion stopped meaning anything when I saw your location:

"Exclusively on the PS3".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    I mostly agreed till you made this statement.

The first game "at the time" was a godsend for me. The campaign from the first game was a masterpiece and the other 2 have been garbage and nowhere near as masterfully paced.

The game has really evolved into mostly nothing but multiplayer and that saddens me. The first Halo "imo" is a masterpiece that will probably never be re-created. To me it was perfect in every way.
    Heh, I have the opposite view, sort of. I really, really liked Halo 1, both campaign and multiplayer, but I will be the first to also state that it had flaws in both fields. Overpowered pistol in multiplayer, recycled levels and the Library in campaign. I mean, the story was quite well done, but it could have been done better gameplaywise.

Whereas I actually really liked the story in 2 and 3(though 2 definitely did have pacing issues) and felt the Arbiter was a really interesting character. I liked the added dimension for the Covenant through him. All the Halos did do FPS gaming right on console though, from the controls to the LAN play (so much easier than lugging in all those computers!) to the online matchmaking system.

Nevertheless ODST does have excellent pacing, and they brought back a few Halo 1 gameplay bits for campaign - the pistol, the health packs, the fall damage, etc. - so you may want to at least rent it. Personally I love the Halo series, and find the storyline and universe, the gameplay, and the ease of even playing it to be fantastic. I can't get into stuff like Unreal, the character moves too fast, the mouse and keyboard is weird, storyline isn't as gripping. Just stuff like that. Maybe there are better ones out there, but Bungie's games shouldn't be discounted just because they're popular.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First off, it's got Halo 3 right in the title. Out of everyone who has owned a 360, who hasn't played Halo 3.
    That's akin to saying Super Mario Brothers is the same game as Super Mario Galaxy, because they both have Super Mario right in the title. FAIL...

shitty first party FPS that only received the rating it got because it was the best on the system(and a first party game with a good multiplayer system when Halo 2 came out.)
    Microsoft didn't develop Halo, Bungie did. And yes Microsoft did own Bungie but to me that's not a first party game. And it got the rating it got because it was and is a great game, period.

2 million sales of the next FPS in a series which has always been average since the first game.
    Love the PS3 and hate the 360 all you want, but the Halo titles are awesome games in campaign and multiplayer and are WAY better than average.

I did pick the game up on launch day and have played the campaign by myself and in co-op online and it is extremely fun and well done IMO.
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

for some reason I had this confused with halo wars which doesn't interest me. Watched a bunch of footage on xbx live last night plan on getting it very soon

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

First off, it's got Halo 3 right in the title. Out of everyone who has owned a 360, who hasn't played Halo 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by 8-bitNesMan View Post
    That's akin to saying Super Mario Brothers is the same game as Super Mario Galaxy, because they both have Super Mario right in the title. FAIL...
    No. It's akin to Street Fighter 2. You're naming two entirely different games that obviously don't try to say they're nothing more than expansions. Such as Halo 3 and Halo 3 ODST.

Other games that could be used. Armored Core(three games under AC1,) Armored Core 2(two games under AC2,) Armored Core 3(two games under AC3,) Armored Core 4(two games under AC4.) Under each series is the exact same gameplay mechanic. No differences to the engine just extra weapons and different missions. I don't know which series Ninebreaker is under, though I do know Nexus and Last Raven use the same engine. They are all expansions, reason why they're all under one identifiable name.

Dynasty Warriors whatever number you wish to mention Extreme. Same game, can be played standalone, or unlocks the entirety of the specific Dynasty Warriors game. Created obviously as an expansion and the main gameplay mechanics are all the same.

The US name of Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. the Lost Levels, also works. Since we already know that the game is really SMB2 though, it really doesn't. But if it was really called Lost Levels, it's obvious it's nothing more than an expansion(and other than the fact that SMB2 was released here as a different game, most likely why Lost Levels acquired its name.)

So yeah. You failed a bit more than I did. If Halo 3 ODST wasn't going to be an expansion of Halo 3, why not just name it Halo ODST. The entire series storyline from 1-3 carries over to the next game anyways so the storyline is intertwined regardless if it's named Halo 3 ODST, Halo ODST, or Halo 4. Halo 3 is added there due to the fact that it most likely carries the gameplay or extremely close to it, with possibly minor differences like a Street Fighter game, regardless of story differences or mission differences.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, a couple of questions for you:

1) Have you played this game that you claim to know SO much about?

2) Why are you posting juvenile fanboy crap in a thread entitled "Are you picking up ODST?" If you don't like Halo (to each their own) and don't plan on getting it then why even be in this thread with those of us who like good games even if said games are not on the allmighty PS3?
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I played a few co-op and firefight missions tonight and had a blast. Excellent game so far. For those that like statistics, you have to check out Bungie.com's new layout. Fantastic. No other company gives so much love to their fans.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i won't be since i sold my 360 a week ago for a ps3. was never a halo fan really. never got the whole halo hype. jsut seemed liek a generic pc fps on a console. I am enjoying metal gear online though. it's pretty fun and very deep tactical shooter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just finished the campaign and was very satisfied. Granted it only took me around 7+ hours but the story was awesome. The ODST's are certified bad asses. Now I need to finish legendary mode and search around for the extra achievements I'm missing. I also need to put more time into firefight.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I just quit for the night, having finished the mission where you take out the Navy Intelligence base (ZOMG Spoilarz). So far, so good: it's more Halo, and that's a good thing.

I'm not certain I see the difference between the ODST characters and Master Chief, though: I'm straight up melee killing Brutes and whacking hunters with the same wild abandon that I always have. I'd head you were going to be a bit more fragile this time around... But so far, not so much. I'm not fond of the 'no health bar' on the HUD, and the silenced MP5 thing sucks... But Goddamn, is the campaign well done so far. Worth the retail price for this dude.

Hopefully Reach is as good. Keep 'em coming, Bungie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I just quit for the night, having finished the mission where you take out the Navy Intelligence base (ZOMG Spoilarz). So far, so good: it's more Halo, and that's a good thing.

I'm not certain I see the difference between the ODST characters and Master Chief, though: I'm straight up melee killing Brutes and whacking hunters with the same wild abandon that I always have. I'd head you were going to be a bit more fragile this time around... But so far, not so much. I'm not fond of the 'no health bar' on the HUD, and the silenced MP5 thing sucks... But Goddamn, is the campaign well done so far. Worth the retail price for this dude.

Hopefully Reach is as good. Keep 'em coming, Bungie.
    You mean the health bar across the top of the screen? :P

I don't know, I found myself playing a bit more cautiously. I got pretty wrecked by hunters and hammer brutes trying to fight them as recklessly as I did with the chief.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The game is amazing. Co-op makes it hands down. 2nd disc for EVERY Map that was downloadble (count 24 maps) the game is a steal.

Rivals GOTY.
    #vbender