Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Default Sony ditches UMD conversion plans for PSP Go

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/25/so...nversion-plans

It was nice knowing you, PSP Go. We hardly knew ye.

I'd personally not trade my physical games in for virtual copies, but this has to be one of their most boneheaded moves ever. Expect the average gaming public to REBUY all of their still-functioning-on-basically-the-same-system games? Why even bother upgrading at this point?
    Last edited by Oobgarm; 09-25-2009 at 12:59 PM.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fail!

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

I think that the success of the last two systems put too much air in their heads. It might seem by the time the heads have deflated their customer will be gone.

My mind is kinda pricking the name Sega here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coreys429 View Post
    Fail!
    Epic Fail.

Seriously: smaller screen, no compatibility with old software, higher price

Who would want to purchase this over a regular PSP?
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be fair, the process is a lot more complicated than people are letting on. Not only is there a technical issue (how do we prevent people from just sharing their UMDs with each other and saying that they bought it) but I think the biggest issue is the legal one.

Sony doesn't have the right to put digital copies of PSP games on their store any time they want. They have to re-negotiate the licenses with publishers and developers. Even if that's achieved, they still have to negotiate the fact that these will be downloaded for free if users prove they purchased it in the first place.

That's why I was still on board for the PSPgo when they announced the 3 free game deal. I thought, "Okay, that's an alright compromise." But now they've announced that isn't coming to America. WTF?

I'm out Sony. Enjoy the fruits of your failure.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

"We were evaluating a UMD conversion program, but due to legal and technical reasons we will not be offering the program at this time."

Seems the way they're stating it that they just can't right now. I wouldn't pick up a PSP Go anyways, but yeah.

Anyways. There are still reasons to pick up the PSP Go. If you pick the system up and download the GT PSP background before October 10, 2009, they'll send you a voucher to get GT PSP for free. Input the voucher and it becomes an already purchased title on your PSP Go. Obviously for people who buy the system as soon as it comes out you get a bonus of GT.

There are also three vouchers that come with the system to get three first party games from a select list for free. So technically, you could have four games with the system for free. This may be there for people who already have the system but because Sony can't currently do conversions on PSP games. It's also good for people who don't have the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider31 View Post
    "Okay, that's an alright compromise." But now they've announced that isn't coming to America. WTF?
    The three game thing isn't coming to the US but is coming to other places? That's pretty stupid if you ask me. I thought it was everywhere.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-25-2009 at 01:42 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think for people that haven't ever owned a PSP, the GO is possibly a good purchase, even though it's still a little pricey in my books. For current PSP owners there was never any reason to upgrade any way, and now that the UMD conversion program isn't coming here, it's even more reason not to upgrade. I think the program will make it here eventually, but for now I think the only people that'll be picking up the GO are people who don't have a PSP at all, or people that want to buy it just to say they have it. I think the PSPGO is going to be either a complete fuck up for Sony, or it'll see modest success at best, unless they rethink their strategy for it. The two things that are essential for Sony to do to make the GO a success is get the UMD conversion here ASAP, and shave $50 off the GO's sticker price.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 09-25-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

I think I'm looking forward to seeing what the hackers will do with it more than what Sony will mess up on it next.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

They've made it clear that the investigated the possibility of a transfer program and encountered legal issues (likely to do with the replication and re-distribution of software with licensing rights and no individual identifying key or purchase number) ... so I don't quite see the reason to jump down their throats about it.

It's a formal announcement prior to the release of the system.

Yes, it's close to the finish line for system launch. and I suppose it is slightly disappointing for those that wanted to "upgrade" to the Go and transfer all their software over ... but Sony didn't keep us in the dark up to or post launch.

For 1st time PSP buyers, I don't see the Go as terrible investment, they'll be able to buy all new releases (and a decent back-catalog of UMD legacy titles) whenever they want and download directly to the device, and personally, if I ever want to get a Go (I might in the future) I have a good amount of PS1 and PSP Games that I've purchased on the Playstation Network that I can fill my system with.

And, for those who prefer the 1000/2000/3000 series, they'll keep making those and keep making UMDs.

The Go probably won't be some kind of crazy run-away success, but even if it fails, it's not like it's going to drag the entire PSP market down with it.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    They've made it clear that the investigated the possibility of a transfer program and encountered legal issues (likely to do with the replication and re-distribution of software with licensing rights and no individual identifying key or purchase number) ... so I don't quite see the reason to jump down their throats about it.

It's a formal announcement prior to the release of the system.

Yes, it's close to the finish line for system launch. and I suppose it is slightly disappointing for those that wanted to "upgrade" to the Go and transfer all their software over ... but Sony didn't keep us in the dark up to or post launch.

For 1st time PSP buyers, I don't see the Go as terrible investment, they'll be able to buy all new releases (and a decent back-catalog of UMD legacy titles) whenever they want and download directly to the device, and personally, if I ever want to get a Go (I might in the future) I have a good amount of PS1 and PSP Games that I've purchased on the Playstation Network that I can fill my system with.

And, for those who prefer the 1000/2000/3000 series, they'll keep making those and keep making UMDs.

The Go probably won't be some kind of crazy run-away success, but even if it fails, it's not like it's going to drag the entire PSP market down with it.
    I agree with you on some level, but I think Sony needs to make an extra strong effort to get the UMD conversion program off the ground. All parties involved including Sony, publishers, and developers need to get the legal issues ironed out, because if don't they don't, I think there could be a huge backlash and Sony, and to a lesser extent, publishers and developers could be paying for it down the road in the form of shitty sales.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    I agree with you on some level, but I think Sony needs to make an extra strong effort to get the UMD conversion program off the ground. All parties involved including Sony, publishers, and developers need to get the legal issues ironed out, because if don't they don't, I think there could be a huge backlash and Sony, and to a lesser extent, publishers and developers could be paying for it down the road in the form of shitty sales.
    Well, to be honest, I think out of the gate at least they want to make some money off DLC.

If they offered up an easy conversion program a majority of Go users would couple their purchases with a bunch of cheap used UMDs and make the transfer how and where they could.

I think for the time being this is more to do with money than rights, but the rights are probably still a legit issue.

We'll see what happens, and when it does I hope it's something as simple as using your existing PSP or PS3 as transfer tools.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

The PSPgo will most likely fade into nothingness soon enough. No UMD conversion is unacceptable.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/25/so...nversion-plans
    Why even bother upgrading at this point?
    Was never really meant for such a purpose anyways. Sony has been quite clear that the PSP3000 will stay on the market and games will continue to be released on UMD.

The PSP Go was meant to appeal to people that didn't want to use physical media and would rather download everything, it wasn't designed with a eye toward current PSP owners all upgrading to it. Rather, it was meant to go after a untapped portion of the marketplace.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Fail. It sits next to GBA Micro in the history of handhelds.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    Fail. It sits next to GBA Micro in the history of handhelds.
    If the GBA Micro couldn't play GBA carts (in addition to not being able to play legacy GB games), sure.

I think they need to ditch the "PSP Go" name because people are going to naturally assume it'll play their PSP games. It seems like they're making a clean break with software compatibility, from the consumer perspective (as everybody is saying, DLC of older titles doesn't count).

Free battery life and not having drive parts that make noise / wear out will be nice, but this obviously burns current PSP owners. I guess that's been the overarching theme of the DLC Revolution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Why do I sense customers comming to the store, asking for the PSP Go, and refusing to buy one?. When they ask for games, they find out through the associate that it can't play existing UMDs and must download the games.

This will make many not buy the console.

At least at work, I will be seeing quite a bit of this.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sony, if you wanted to pull this shit, wait for the PSP 2.

This is just silly.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Maybe they should rename it the GizmondGO because I think that it will be just about as successful
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Lolololololololol