Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony ditches UMD conversion plans for PSP Go

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems that most people who actually got some playtime with the Gameboy Micro, really liked it. Any negative comments I hear about it are from those who never tried one. I have never tried one but am thinking about picking one up for myself.

The problem was Nintendo was a little too late with it. I mean wasn't the DS out for a year already when it came out? The system was destined to fail with that kind of logic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lagartija_nick View Post
    Sony is foolish to go after the Ipod Touch market.

The PSP and this GO can play MP3's but the interface and manipulation is terrible. The current Psp is not comfortable to carry around and because its a gaming system you need to worry about the screen more then you do with an IPOD.

The Go does not look easy to carry around and Sony should have put some flip down cover on the device. The screen is exposed and who wants to carry this thing in a case to protect that screen?

Ipods are intuitive and easy because they are built for music first and games are an afterthought.

Second Sony cannot compete with I-Tunes. Ipod is successful not only because of the hardware but because they have they built an entire infrastructure to support their hardware.

Apple is successful because 1.00 impulse buys are hard to resist.

There is no impulse buying at the 30-40 dollar range.
    I completely agree with Sony being foolish if they're going after the ipod market with the GO. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, people buy ipods for music, movies, and to a lesser extent online browsing and games. Aside from the games, the PSP/PSPgo can't compete with the ipod in terms of music, movies, and Internet. Sony and others can't compete with iTunes, and Safari is by far the best mobile browser out there. The current PSP browser is horrible, and I can't imagine the GO's being much better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by lagartija_nick View Post
    Obviously the GO only exists to combat piracy. If it ever takes off in a major way, you can be assured the PSP 3000 will be pulled off the market.

I think that if the Go fails we will see Sony exit the handheld market entirely. A PSP 2 seems ridiculous considering the PSP is much more powerful than the DS, but cannot even put a dent in its sales.
    They're at 56 million in sales, which places the PSP within sight of overtaking the NES. Only the GameBoy and it's color revision, the GBA, the PSOne, the PS2, and Nintendo DS have more sales. Furthermore, those 56 million PSP's out there are a guarantee that the UMD format and a PSP that is capable of playing them has a future until the line is completely discontinued. Sony isn't about to call it quits in favor of the PSP Go and ignore 56 million PSP owners.

Furthermore, it seems ridiculous to call something with that kind of install base as a failure, or to suggest that it can't compete with the competition (It's sales are more than half of the DS, which is a amazing amount especially for Sony's first attempt), and that Sony should exit the market as a result.

The PSP has been a great success, has been profitable and popular, has blown away every past effort to compete with Nintendo, and has allowed Sony to establish a major foothold in the portable marketplace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't see what would be so freaking complicated. You simply mail in your physical UMD disks for a voucher code that they email you, once they have received your physical disk, verified it, and then destroyed it.

What is so hard about that?

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Licensing rights.

And the garbage as a result of destroying disks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    They're at 56 million in sales, which places the PSP within sight of overtaking the NES. Only the GameBoy and it's color revision, the GBA, the PSOne, the PS2, and Nintendo DS have more sales. Furthermore, those 56 million PSP's out there are a guarantee that the UMD format and a PSP that is capable of playing them has a future until the line is completely discontinued. Sony isn't about to call it quits in favor of the PSP Go and ignore 56 million PSP owners.

Furthermore, it seems ridiculous to call something with that kind of install base as a failure, or to suggest that it can't compete with the competition (It's sales are more than half of the DS, which is a amazing amount especially for Sony's first attempt), and that Sony should exit the market as a result.

The PSP has been a great success, has been profitable and popular, has blown away every past effort to compete with Nintendo, and has allowed Sony to establish a major foothold in the portable marketplace.
    I would agree that the PSP is a success even if it hasn't sold as well as the DS. It is really the only handheld in history that has even been somewhat successful against Nintendo, and people also have to remember that the PSP was always and still is more expensive than the DS. The two biggest mistakes that Sony made with the PSP early on was its high price and lack of original AAA games. Most people won't spend $250+ for a portable system (nice to see Sony has learned from that with the GO, morons), and it took about a year or so for the AAA games to start trickling out, and even since then, AAA releases only seem to come in short spurts on the PSP.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 09-26-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    AAA releases only seem to come in short spurts on the PSP.
    Except for late last year and most of this year which the PSP has been getting great game after great game just about.

Also. AAA titles might be different for some people. When you think of AAA titles, you think of system sellers, and obviously system sellers are games that are hyped up quite a bit. Gurumin is an amazing game, but I wouldn't have picked up the system because it wasn't hyped. However, after getting it it easy became one of my favorites instantly. To me it would be AAA because of that reason, because if people knew how good it was, I guarantee it would sell.

It's a good thing Gurumin is already downloadable on the PSN. I think this game is fairly cheap there too. 14.99 is cheap enough for one of the best games on the system. Wipes the floor with most 3d platformers in my opinion.

The good thing about the PSP is you can name most every game and nearly all of them will be playable. That's one good thing about the system not being as popular as the DS. All of us PSP owners don't have to worry about as much shovelware.

*edit*

Here are some very good games already for download on the PSN.

Gurumin 14.99.
    Brave Story 14.99
    Driver 76 19.99
    Echocrome 9.99
    Field Commander 14.99(very good Advanced Wars Clone)
    Jeanne D'Arc 22.99
    Powerstone Collection 19.99
    Syphon Filter Dark Mirror 15.99
    Syphon Filter Logan's Shadow 24.99
    Tomb Raider Anniversary 12.99
    Tomb Raider Legend 12.99
    Twisted Metal Head On 15.99
    Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins 19.99
    Wild ARMs XF 14.99(best tactical RPG on the system. Hell. Best RPG on the system. Amazing price.)
    Wipeout Pulse 22.99
    Wipeout Pure 15.99

Here are others I haven't played but heard were good.

Killzone Liberation 15.99
    Loco Roco 22.99
    Patapon 15.99
    Patapon 2 19.99
    Pursuit Force 22.99
    Pursuit Force Extreme Justice 22.99

There are quite a few digital games on the system that are good and supposedly every game afterwards is both UMD and digital.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-26-2009 at 10:35 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of those games you listed, of the ones I have bought, I payed less for sealed UMD copies. There are good games out there. But I think the pricing scale is way off. Digital should be cheaper, but it isn't. So fuck Sony's PSPGo. At least until I can get a new one for $100 or less and the hackers have completely broken it open. The price might not happen and I'd be fine with that. It's just like the PS3 all over again. Nice little toy, but it costs way too much.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WolfpacLeader
    PSN
    wolfpacleader86

Quote Originally Posted by smork View Post
    What's wrong with the Micro? It's how I normally play GBA. Conveniently shoves in any pocket, bright and clear screen, good battery life...
    ...and if someone's fat ass sits on it, it'll get crushed like a garbage compactor.....

Seriously, that's how my friend broke his. Never seen that happen with another portable.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'd say about half of the games you may be able to get cheaper or the same price on UMD. However, these are some very good games that have been on the system awhile and that the PSP Go consumers have a good list of games to choose from, atleast considering they're not PSP gamers who already have these games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand really why anyone that already owns a PSP would want one of these anyways. They are not discontinuing the regular PSP.
    My System History in order of purchase: Coleco Vision - Master System - Genesis - Game Gear - Sega CD - 32X - Saturn - Nomad - PS1 - Dreamcast - PS2 - DS - PS3 (60GB) - PSP - 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by alexkidd2000 View Post
    I don't understand really why anyone that already owns a PSP would want one of these anyways. They are not discontinuing the regular PSP.
    You never know what Sony is capable of.

People would have called me crazy back in 2006 if I had said that most PlayStation 3's couldnt play PS2 after the first SKU batches.

For all we know, BANG, bye-bye UMD.
    DERP

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would think that was the plan from the get go. They only said that they are keeping the 3000 around so they didn't loose the sales of 3000 units from the PSPGo announcement to it's launch.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Except for late last year and most of this year which the PSP has been getting great game after great game just about.

Also. AAA titles might be different for some people. When you think of AAA titles, you think of system sellers, and obviously system sellers are games that are hyped up quite a bit. Gurumin is an amazing game, but I wouldn't have picked up the system because it wasn't hyped. However, after getting it it easy became one of my favorites instantly. To me it would be AAA because of that reason, because if people knew how good it was, I guarantee it would sell.

It's a good thing Gurumin is already downloadable on the PSN. I think this game is fairly cheap there too. 14.99 is cheap enough for one of the best games on the system. Wipes the floor with most 3d platformers in my opinion.

The good thing about the PSP is you can name most every game and nearly all of them will be playable. That's one good thing about the system not being as popular as the DS. All of us PSP owners don't have to worry about as much shovelware.

[edited out list of games & prices]
    For starters, the PSP has a ton of shovelware, and while the DS probably has a lot more, it's also got a LOT more triple A titles. In fact, I've played emulation on the PSP far more than I've played actual UMD games, and with good reason. Name me the top ten TRIPLE A RPGs on the system. Yeah.

Secondly, from that list of games, I can tell you right now that most of them are cheaper as UMD purchases. I paid $15 for Gurumin brand new, but that was half a year ago or longer.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze View Post
    ...and if someone's fat ass sits on it, it'll get crushed like a garbage compactor.....

Seriously, that's how my friend broke his. Never seen that happen with another portable.....
    Ever seen the screen on a PSP? If so, you almost broke it. Don't look at it wrong, it'll crack. And Sony won't fix it. (Like they won't fix dead PS3s and like consumers had to SUE THEM to fix the DRE PS2s.)

Not a Nintendo fanboy, so don't accuse. I think the Wii is an expensive failed experiment and I haven't been impressed with a Nintendo console since the SNES. Just pointing a few things out here.

While Sony might claim they're not going to try to end production of UMD-based games, if the PSPGo is even midly successful, they most certainly will. Nintendo did that same song and dance when they put the DS into production JUST AS THEY ANNOUNCED THE MICRO. "Oh no, we'll still continue making Game Boy Advance games! The two will run concurrently." Um hm. Thankfully, PSP users don't have anything to worry about since the Go will be a monumental failure. Every entertainment medium has tried download only content INCLUDING VIDEO GAMES and have pretty much failed miserably. Gamers are pack rats. Why do you think Pokemon is so wildly successful STILL? Cuz you GOTTA CATCH EM ALL! Sure people will spend a couple bucks to d/l a game or some extra content, but even $20 is likely going to be too much for a game w/ no physical copy. Not to mention most stores will be steering people away from buying the Go. All I can say is, good luck Sony.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Then why would they say they'd ditch the UMD conversion before release? If Sony wanted to really screw over the consumer they'd have released the PSP Go then say they're ditching the UMD conversion.

That's what Nintendo would do. Infact, Nintendo has done stuff like that before.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    While Sony might claim they're not going to try to end production of UMD-based games, if the PSPGo is even midly successful, they most certainly will.
    PSP says it has 50 million sales, it's probably around 40 million people who actually have one though(many people own more than one, etc.) Since the Go is the same system, Sony won't risk alienating everyone who has an older system.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-27-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Here are some very good games already for download on the PSN.

Gurumin 14.99.
    Brave Story 14.99
    Driver 76 19.99
    Echocrome 9.99
    Field Commander 14.99(very good Advanced Wars Clone)
    Jeanne D'Arc 22.99
    Powerstone Collection 19.99
    Syphon Filter Dark Mirror 15.99
    Syphon Filter Logan's Shadow 24.99
    Tomb Raider Anniversary 12.99
    Tomb Raider Legend 12.99
    Twisted Metal Head On 15.99
    Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins 19.99
    Wild ARMs XF 14.99(best tactical RPG on the system. Hell. Best RPG on the system. Amazing price.)
    Wipeout Pulse 22.99
    Wipeout Pure 15.99

Here are others I haven't played but heard were good.

Killzone Liberation 15.99
    Loco Roco 22.99
    Patapon 15.99
    Patapon 2 19.99
    Pursuit Force 22.99
    Pursuit Force Extreme Justice 22.99

There are quite a few digital games on the system that are good and supposedly every game afterwards is both UMD and digital.
    Ya, and with the exception of Patapon 2, I already own every one of those games on UMD... In fact, I'm over 200 UMD games and counting - I am the PSP hardcore! - I preorder games! I buy every one that interests me or my kids! We have six PSP 1001s and 2001s in our household... And now Sony releases a cool upgrade to the hardware - greater portability, nice screen, cool slidey feature! - and how do they reward my fanboy dedication and day-one devotion? Do they say, "What the heck, we'll make a little UMD reader add-on thingy and incorporate some DRM and 10-day disk licensing and let the hardcore play."? Nah, they say "Screw you devoted PSP junky - buy all the games again!"...

Fuck you Sony.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE=kupomogli;1620504]Then why would they say they'd ditch the UMD conversion before release? If Sony wanted to really screw over the consumer they'd have released the PSP Go then say they're ditching the UMD conversion.

I think Sony telling us that UMD conversion is out, less than a week before launch does not make them nice guys who care about consumers.

They knew from the beginning it was never going to happen, (you don't plan a system like this, produce it, and then figure out umd transfers are not possible)
    Umd transfers were not possible when this system was being designed.

Sony did not want to kill the buzz from the get-go, they strung people along with the possiblity of umd conversion for as long as possilbe so those remotely interested would not cancel their pre-orders or possibly miss that information in the short time it was announced it was not happening.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Name me the top ten TRIPLE A RPGs on the system. Yeah.
    Um. I don't even play RPGs and I'm very aware of the fact that PSP has a VERY large amount of high quality RPG games. Yeah.

I'm sure Kupomogli could complile a list of more than 10 for you.

Ever seen the screen on a PSP? If so, you almost broke it. Don't look at it wrong, it'll crack. And Sony won't fix it. (Like they won't fix dead PS3s and like consumers had to SUE THEM to fix the DRE PS2s.)
    I've not seen any high frequency of screen cracks in PSPs from normal usage. I mean, if you drop, step on or SMASH a PSP the screen may crack ... but I don't recall Sony ever claiming that it was a crack-proof system. Things tend to break if you don't operate them within the paramaters of "normal usage". Also never heard about Sony not repairing in-warranty PS3s, except for that one Consumerist loud-mouth, and once Sony released official photos of what the exterior of the system looked like, I couldn't blame them, it looked like it had been buried in the guy's back yard for a month. (Maybe he was hoping to grow a PS3 tree)

http://consumerist.com/322858/is-thi...under-warranty
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 09-27-2009 at 02:50 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

For starters, the PSP has a ton of shovelware, and while the DS probably has a lot more, it's also got a LOT more triple A titles. In fact, I've played emulation on the PSP far more than I've played actual UMD games, and with good reason. Name me the top ten TRIPLE A RPGs on the system. Yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I'm sure Kupomogli could complile a list of more than 10 for you.
    I could. The PSP has alot of very good RPG titles. Here's 10.

Wild ARMs XF, Star Ocean, Legend of Heroes, Final Fantasy, Crisis Core, Brave Story, Jeanne D'Arc, Tales of the World Radiant Mythology, Radiant Mythology 2, and Crimson Gem Saga.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

bad thing about downloading games is what if you get too much? you'll need more memory but a bigger problem is they're probably always going to be around the same price because you can't go off and buy a used download... but maybe they'll have sales like xbox deal.

PSP go isn't a terrible idea just the fact that it's price is insane if it were around the same price as the 3000 I might consider getting one cause I don't have a psp or any games so it doesn't effect me.