1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Default Persona Remake on PSP

This was recently released and I'm considering picking it up. Game Informer gave it a favorable review, but I'd like to ask the experts (you guys) something. I'm rather new to the Persona/Shin Megami Tensei series and I'm wondering if anybody has played the PSP remake yet, and if it would be better to buy this version or hunt up a copy of the PS1 original. Thoughts/opinions?

Thanks in advance, guys & gals.
    G

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Well, this version has some stuff that was cut from the US release (Snow Queen quest), plus new music and a 2 disc soundtrack that comes with the game.

Can't tell you anything besides that, gotta wait till I can run it with custom firmware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'd skip Persona Portable and Revelations Persona altogether. You're given two options of the first game in the series.

The PSP version has crappy music, possible better load times, and a closer experience to the original game(Mark isn't black like on the US version and closer exp rates.)

The US version takes 15 seconds each time when summoning a Persona and it's unable to be skipped. The music is far better. The game is a bit easier supposedly.

The game has a decent storyline, good world, however gameplaywise it's fairly boring. Damage is extremely random, quite a bit of grinding even in the US version, also creating different Persona through cards meaning you'll be talking to alot of monsters.

If you're looking for a good introduction into the Shin MegamiTensei series. I'd say buy Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne(SMT3.) It's the best game in the series but that doesn't mean you can't play the best first. Also, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2(play the first one first because the story is connected,) Persona 2 Innocent Sin(finally got an English translation out,) and Persona 2 Eternal Punishment are good. Persona 3(get P3FES) and Persona 4 are also very good(best two Persona games.) The PSP is also getting Persona 3 Portable(this is going to be the third release of Persona 3 in the past two to three years. A bit ridiculous if you ask me.)

There's also Revelations: Demon Slayer. It's a spinoff. Sortof okay. I haven't played Demikids or the Shin Megami Tensei DS game.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you do decide to get it, go for the PSP version. It makes sense.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's cheaper than the PS1 version - Persona Uncut retails for what, $40?

At last check with a local store, those hosers wanted no less than $75 for Persona on the PS1. (Side note: I'm still mad at this place for their $200 Sailor Moon Season 1.)

So if you've got a PSP or plan to in the near future, go for the uncut, cheaper version that you CAN take with you.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, I'm not a big fan of the Music on the PSP version. I miss some of the original tracks.

Anyways, the game isn't that hard and level grinding isn't really nessary. Although some characters will level faster than others. I have Mark about 6-7 Levels ahead of the others. Then again, thats what happens while spamming Megido spells.

Also note that I'm a big fan of this series, so I maybe a little bias.
    Last edited by Nate Nanjo; 09-27-2009 at 06:48 PM.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    The PSP version has crappy music.
    Completely opposite. The battle music is phenomenal. Persona PSP pitches the classic 90's RPG vibe deserves +1. Though the grid-like battle system gives me mixed feelings with melee weapons having limited range and characters remain stationary through out the fight. Your gun and Persona abilities seem to make up for this, but if the enemy lands in a sweet spot and kills key fighters, you're most likely boned. Of course, I haven't gotten very far and hopefully it doesn't happen.

The charm of Persona 4 and Devil Survivor (SMT DS game) is how they're simplified and easier to handle compared to the rest of the series. P4 characters all have Personas but the main character's is the only you change and customize. Devil Survivor is a tactical take focused on teams with sacrifice of weapons and armor and more focus on abilities and fusion. Either one are good for newcomers to SMT.
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne(SMT3.) It's the best game in the series but that doesn't mean you can't play the best first.
    It's also probably the hardest game in the series and if you aren't at least a little familiar with the series, you're sure to have a hard time. Not to say that it isn't a great game, I didn't get a chance to finish it, but the hours I drained into it were well worth it. I would suggest getting the guide that's out for it, things will go a lot smoother if you have it as a reference.

If you want to jump into the series I'd suggest Digital Devil Saga for PS2, its easier to get into and would be a good introduction the the series. If you want to get into Persona, I'd go for Persona 3, that's another one I didn't get a chance to finish but enjoyed every minute I put into it.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah...it's a solid game...but it's no pushover. I've played partway through the PS1 version and it's pacing is fairly slow. This is the issue I have with several of the Shin Megami games...excluding Persona 3 and 4, Devil Summoner, and the DDS games. I couldn't even play Nocturne....I honestly got bored.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

I couldnt put this game down when i got it on launch day (skipped geometry to get it!! )

It was a very nice trip down memory lane from the first game, and having played it right after beating Persona 4, i thought it was very nice and held up well to its more advanced big brother/sisters.

plus for the price it comes in the deluxe packaging and has a soundtrack. Worth 39.99$ for sure.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Well, I've already put several hours into Persona 4, so I'm ever so slightly familiar with the series.

Anywho, I decided to cave and buy the PSP version yesterday based on some of you guys' recommendations here. I've only had enough time to watch the intro, essentially, so I'll be hitting this harder later in the week.

So far I like the style...for some reason it's reminding me a bit of Phantasy Star II. I hope it's not as pointless and frustrating as PSII, however.

Anyway, thanks for your recommendations! I suppose if Persona 3 is coming out for PSP I'll just wait for that instead of nabbing the PS2 version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I suppose if Persona 3 is coming out for PSP I'll just wait for that instead of nabbing the PS2 version.
    Go grab the PS2 version if you can. The new one is a semi-watered-down rehash with some new content. Plus, it seems there won't be any Anime cutscenes or (literally) full voice acting. However, the school-sim part of the game is now visual novel style. Unless you like that sort of thing, it sort of takes away from the "real" feeling of the PS2 version.

Part of what made the original so charming was the constant voice performances. Even though I'm not a big fan of voice-over dubs, Persona 3 has one of the best I have EVER heard. The amount of interactivity and such only added to it, voice-acting aside.

If you want to get the game in it's full glory, do not get the port.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle15 View Post
    Go grab the PS2 version if you can. The new one is a semi-watered-down rehash with some new content. Plus, it seems there won't be any Anime cutscenes or (literally) full voice acting. However, the school-sim part of the game is now visual novel style. Unless you like that sort of thing, it sort of takes away from the "real" feeling of the PS2 version.

Part of what made the original so charming was the constant voice performances. Even though I'm not a big fan of voice-over dubs, Persona 3 has one of the best I have EVER heard. The amount of interactivity and such only added to it, voice-acting aside.

If you want to get the game in it's full glory, do not get the port.
    Good to know, thanks! I ought to get that version anyway just because the cover art is so great.

Oh, and I watched some vids of the PS1 version on youtube. Yikes, what the fuck did they do to Mark? I'm much happier about my choice now.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

*edit*

Nevermind.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-29-2009 at 10:39 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.