Thread: matching monitors

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default matching monitors

so putting together matching classic computer setups i've come across the issue of the monitor. i like when all the componants to a computer setup are more a less matched most likely meaning from the same company but i've found a few that i can't tell if a monitor was specificly made for them

i know the amiga, c64, fm towns, ti-99 and a few others had monitors specificly made for them but i was wondering about a few

atari 8-bit - i know atari made a color monitor for its later ST series pc's but what about the old 8-bit line? or is the ST monitor the one to use with the old ones as well

apple IIGS - i'm assumeing any apple RGB monitor will work/match

MSX - yhea, i know its more of a OS. kinda like asking if there is a specific monitor for windows pc's but i'm still curious

tandy/radio shack Coco's

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I know that the C64 monitors take an RGB input called "Chroma/Luma" that has three wires much like Composite. C64 and Atari 8-bit can output this (well, any 8-bit that has a monitor port anyway). Don't know how many others use this, but I DO know the Amiga doesn't - it uses a totally different cable for it's RGB.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
    I know that the C64 monitors take an RGB input called "Chroma/Luma" that has three wires much like Composite. C64 and Atari 8-bit can output this (well, any 8-bit that has a monitor port anyway). Don't know how many others use this, but I DO know the Amiga doesn't - it uses a totally different cable for it's RGB.
    Actually it's not an RGB input it's just plain old S-Video before they used a 4 pin mini-din connector.

Mitch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Most early Apple monitors were those black & green monochrome monitors with the big power button in the top right corner, the giant brightness knob on the right sides mid section, and the screen itself tilted up and down. It was dubbed the 'Monitor II'.

I never saw an Apple 2, running in color until around 1986.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Our Franklin Ace 1000 (Apple II+ clone), which we got in 1982, did color. For the longest time I didn't think the II, II+ or IIe could do color because, like Diskoboy said, all the ones we had at school we had attached to those green screen monitors. (Originally, we had an "Amber" monitor -- like the green screen, except it only did shades of yellow.) We upgraded to an Amdek monitor which was bigger, bulkier, had a built in handle, and did color. It has an RCA input for video and a headphone jack for audio. I currently own three of those monitors; not only do I have a sentimental attachment to them, but they work great for any RCA-based game system or computer (including Apples and Commodores), and moving them around is easy with those built in handles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

our apple 2's at school had the green tint monitors.

my apple IIgs though is the last in the apple II line and was ment to be more in the same class as the amiga and atari ST so i'm sure it was ment to play more color games. i don't think many games were made specificly for it though so it was probibly playing more older apple II games then the ones ment for it.

does anyone know what monitor came with the GS? or what monitor was supposed to be used with it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    does anyone know what monitor came with the GS? or what monitor was supposed to be used with it?
    It was called, simply, "AppleColor RGB".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_displays

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    It was called, simply, "AppleColor RGB".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_displays
    awsome, thanks disko

what about the atari 8-bit line, tandy CoCO? were there any specificly for them? what kind of monitors did MSX pc's use? and pc-88/98?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

awsome, thanks disko

what about the atari 8-bit line, tandy CoCO? were there any specificly for them? what kind of monitors did MSX pc's use? and pc-88/98?
    The Atari 400/800 didn't have a specific monitor for them. Most people I know had theirs hooked up to their TV's, or another brands monitor.

The original TRS-80 had a monitor, but it was nothing to write home about. They were either B&W or monochrome... It's been so long since I've used one, I've completely forgotten.

The color monitors for the CoCo were the Tandy CM-8's

Now Commodore had a bunch of different monitors - I had an uncommon model. It had RGB connections, along with the usual composite setup. I don't remember the model, but it was grey (instead of the usual beige) and the power switch was a giant round button on the lower right side of the monitor, and a transparent plastic bezel to over the entire length of the CRT. After the Commodore got set aside for my NES, I would use this monitor for my console gaming, up until it finally died in the early 90's. Commodore made some damn good monitors, I'll give 'em that. They should've stuck to making them after thier computer products went under

As for MSX - Well, I'm not to familiar with the MSX, in general..
    Last edited by diskoboy; 10-05-2009 at 08:45 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Keep in mind the IIgs monitor is 15khz, it won't work with older Macintosh RGB monitors, even ones contemporary to the IIgs. You'll need the Applecolor RGB.

The PC-88 uses a standard "Japanese" 21 pin RGB pinout like the X68000 and a bunch of other computers. MSX varies from computer to computer, but most I've seen at least have Composite, some have proprietary DIN connectors for RGB too.

You can get a lot of the pinouts from gamesx.com.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    Now Commodore had a bunch of different monitors - I had an uncommon model. It had RGB connections, along with the usual composite setup. I don't remember the model, but it was grey (instead of the usual beige) and the power switch was a giant round button on the lower right side of the monitor, and a transparent plastic bezel to over the entire length of the CRT.
    One of these perhaps?

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well i finally did find a free good condition GS RGB monitor locally (with a Woz edition GS as a bonus). so i moved on to my atari 8-bit setup. since atari apperently didn't put out a monitor for the 8-bit line i decided to just hook up a commodore monitor and...the picture was lousy. color was just way off. now i tried 2 8-bit systems, the 800xl and the 130xe and the picture is noticbly worse on the 130XE. i was expecting the opposite. i decided to just pull out a small tv i have and try it via composite and the picture is acually very improved from the commodore monitor (again opposite of what i expected).

i'm thinking theres either an issue with the 130XE or the monitor or both. i was thinking of picking up a small tv with an S-video input but i've never acually seen one on a small screen crt. anyone have any suggestions on a small screen tv that has at least 2 inputs and one being s-video?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

MSX - yhea, i know its more of a OS. kinda like asking if there is a specific monitor for windows pc's but i'm still curious
    In the European lands, Philips released a monitor that was widely used. Other then that, no. Not really. No "MSX" monitors. Any RGB monitor was used. If that wasn't available, any composite input screen was used, often even a television.

the funny part is, the Philips monitor basically a Commodore 1084 monitor with a different case.

Commodore didn't make the 1084. Philips did.

Black monitors are Philips, white ones are 1084s.

Note the extreme similarity BECAUSE THEYRE THE SAME MONITOR.

if you want a monitor for MSX, get a 1084 and spray paint it black.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

or...wasn't the monitor for the cdtv black?

anyways does the 1084 use the same RGB connector for an MSX or am i going to need some goofy adaptor?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

or...wasn't the monitor for the cdtv black?

anyways does the 1084 use the same RGB connector for an MSX or am i going to need some goofy adaptor?
    it does and it doesnt.

you have to find one that has the DIN on it. The 1084 has some with db9 and some with DIN

and a cable with the right pinouts.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew