Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Default Commodore 64's hidden gems

Let's get a thread going for all those great Commodore games that flew under the radar for whatever reason. I know I discovered a lot in the early days of Electronics Boutique, because I believed in buying quantity, not quality. So whenever I had $20...I would walk out with 18 new games. And I found a lot of crap, but also a few extremely great games. So what are your C64 hidden gems?

A few of mine:

Eliminator- A combination maze / shooter. Kind of reminds me of the early DOS game Skyroads, only with a little bit more going on.

SkateRock - May be my favorite C64 game (seriously) a 10 level collect the flags skateboarding game. Doesn't have great graphics, but dang it this game is fun!

Stunt Car Racer - A wonderful race game over crazy tracks. Cars take damage, and fly off the track. It's a really challenging and fun game.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Zorro was a terrific puzzly platformer that doesn't seem to get mentioned much these days.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Rootin' Tootin'. It was a pretty obscure, cartridge-based Pac-Man clone, but it was damn addictive. You played as a trumpet and you'd "toot" musical notes across the screen at the enemies in each maze. Good stuff!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Lazy Jones, is a fun collection of games within a game, but may be semi-famous for it's bitchin' electric violin music, that was later sampled by Zombie Nation, and later still featured in the film Shaun of the Dead...
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Law Of The West: I know that it's pretty well known, but it has to be one of my Top 5 favorite C64 games ever. The mix of graphic adventure and interactive fiction came years before Maniac Mansion and its ilk. Plus, the ability to shoot first and ask questions later gave it a perverse charm.

Proof Of Destruction: The twitch gamer's twitch shooter, Proof Of Destruction never lets up from the word "go". While waves and waves of ships are nothing new, the idea behind Proof Of Destruction twists the gameplay around and gives it a fresh yet frantic take. Also referred to as P.O.D.

Trashman: Originally a ZX Spectrum game, the C64 port gives it more color while still retaining its quirky British humour and unique gameplay. For those who like their comedy served droll, this is the game for you.

I'll think of more once I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23
    Eliminator- A combination maze / shooter. Kind of reminds me of the early DOS game Skyroads, only with a little bit more going on.
    You had me at "hello". Well, actually, you had me at "Skyroads", but it's close enough. I've gotta try this.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A few of my favorites:
    Cauldron II: The Pumpkin Strikes Back
    Pogo Joe
    Moondust
    Dino Eggs

And one more that I can't remember the name of...it was a pseudo 3d adventure game that had decent graphics and took place inside a castle. I want to say the title is one word and had packaging like EA's album games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hillsfar (quite a good trainer game)
    Project Firestart (a EA classic)
    Portal (THE (IMO) best C64 game ever)
    Breakers (late electronic novel title)
    The Magic Candle (one of THE best RPGs on C64)
    Knights of Legend (big engrossing RGP from Origin)
    Last edited by tom; 09-29-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by old_skoolin_jim View Post
    Rootin' Tootin'. It was a pretty obscure, cartridge-based Pac-Man clone, but it was damn addictive. You played as a trumpet and you'd "toot" musical notes across the screen at the enemies in each maze. Good stuff!
    Yeah I was playing this on my DECO cab last week, I didn't know it actually had a home release.

A little off topic, but is there an SIO2PC type adapter for the C64 like there is for the Atari? I have a nice C-64 setup, but I only have about 10 games for it.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

This is what I love about the C64. I've owned one since 1984, and out of all the games other people have mentioned...I've only even heard of one of them. I have a lot of digging to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    Yeah I was playing this on my DECO cab last week, I didn't know it actually had a home release.

A little off topic, but is there an SIO2PC type adapter for the C64 like there is for the Atari? I have a nice C-64 setup, but I only have about 10 games for it.

Tempest
    http://www.1541ultimate.net/content/index.php

Basically, an entire 1541 implementation that works from an SD card. Very compatible, even with multi load games. Supports some extra hardware as well (various speed up carts, Jiffy Dos, REU, Ramboard). Well worth the money!
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar View Post
    http://www.1541ultimate.net/content/index.php

Basically, an entire 1541 implementation that works from an SD card. Very compatible, even with multi load games. Supports some extra hardware as well (various speed up carts, Jiffy Dos, REU, Ramboard). Well worth the money!
    Nice! A bit pricey, but nice. I might have to look into getting one of these when he starts making more.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Donald Duck's Playground - You have to do different mini games to collect money much like The Three Stooges on the NES

I was really young when the C64 was out so I remember games I have fond memories of that can't remember the name of, a few of the games mentioned here gave me some deja vu and sure enough I remember them from way back when after looking them up on youtube.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Stunt Car Racer is a well known classic this side of the pond, though that's probably because it was created by Geoff Crammond, also famous for his F1 games and "The Sentinel" (known as "The Sentry" in the US).

"Project Firestart" is another favourite of mine, as you get to go on your own alien exploration hunt and destroy mission. Survival horror before Capcom even thought of Resident Evil.

It's partly hard for me to think of pertinent suggestions because many games would be common knowledge here and yet perhaps reasonably unknown in the US. But I don't know what ones exactly fit into that category! There's also the fact I don't know if all the games work okay on NTSC...

Any shooter fan has to give "Armalyte" a whirl for starters. You'll probably begin to think "how many sprites on the screen?!" shortly into starting level one. "Turbocharge" is a later release in the vein of SCI, drive and shoot your way through ten stages of road based mayhem. I'm on a shooting roll here, so I'm also going to suggest "Crazy Comets" and "Mega Apocalypse", both based upon Mad Planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    HES converted a few obscure coin-ops onto cartridge: Rootin' Tootin', Mr TNT, The Pit...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

HIDDEN gems? So Mayhem in monster land is out since everyone with a C64 knows that game kicks ass.

Id say Legacy of the Ancients, Phantis, and Parallax, are three games you dont hear alot about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rsiddall View Post
    And one more that I can't remember the name of...it was a pseudo 3d adventure game that had decent graphics and took place inside a castle. I want to say the title is one word and had packaging like EA's album games.
    Had to dig it out...Wizardry (aka: Spell of Destruction) by Mindscape.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Wizardry didn't come in an EA style box. I have the box sitting on the shelf next to me, in fact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    Wizardry didn't come in an EA style box. I have the box sitting on the shelf next to me, in fact.
    Maybe Wizardry didn't but Spell of Destruction (U.S. title) did. I'm assuming Mindscape bought the rights and changed the name in the states. It even says copyright The Edge (original publisher) on the disk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The UK Wizardry (the Edge) is not the same as the USA Sir-Tech Wizardry RPGs.

Yes, Mindscape and Epyx (and a few more) imported some UK (mostly tape) games and changed titles of said games. They didn't sell very well in USA nevertheless
    Last edited by tom; 09-30-2009 at 06:01 AM.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    HIDDEN gems? So Mayhem in monster land is out since everyone with a C64 knows that game kicks ass.

Id say Legacy of the Ancients, Phantis, and Parallax, are three games you dont hear alot about.
    You know, until I actually learned about the origin of Mayhem's username...I had never heard of Mayhem in Monster Land. And I have to admit, I still have never played it >_> . I'll probably have to download a copy and try it soon.

I've recently stumbled across a mega huge stack of old pirated disks, and the process of going through and testing them out will likely lead to a few hidden gems. At least I hope it will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    The UK Wizardry (the Edge) is not the same as the USA Sir-Tech Wizardry RPGs.

Yes, Mindscape and Epyx (and a few more) imported some UK (mostly tape) games and changed titles of said games. They didn't sell very well in USA nevertheless
    This is the game in question here.

Different box (perhaps what Flack has) in picture, but the same game as mine.
    Last edited by rsiddall; 09-30-2009 at 10:13 AM.