Thread: Underrated 16-bit computer titles

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Underrated 16-bit computer titles

The Atari ST/Amiga/DOS/Classic Macs had some great titles that everyone knows about - your Turricans, the Monkey Island games (or anything LucasArts back then), and Sensible Soccer if you lived overseas...

But what slid under the radar in these days? Have you dug something up that not many know about?

I'd like to offer...

Harlequin

Atari ST or Amiga offering... crazy non-linear platformer with 23 levels, a surreal exterior, excellent music and just the right level of challenge. Until you get used to it, there's a lot of WTF's per hour but even then - just crazy good times.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Oh wow, where to begin...

Last Rites: A later DOS title (1997) that was, unfortunately released only in the UK, Last Rites is a FPS that involves clearing a town from a zombie infestation through various missions and objectives. When I say zombies, I mean zombies -- in the outdoor levels, hordes and hordes will spawn from all over the place, making the mood seem like an actual zombie movie. You can also choose to play with a squad based team or go it alone (there's also the obligatory deathmatch mode). When it came out, it was just ripped in the gaming mags, but I think that's a bit unfair. Yeah, in certain levels, you do need to hold a suspension of disbelief, but that's probably true of any zombie movie. The low budgetness that some scenes give off also add to the charm (IMO).

Tyrian 2000: Whenever you think of famous DOS shooters, you either think of two titles: Tyrian 2000 or Raptor: Call Of The Shadows. Either one is great, but Tyrian 2000 is one of the best DOS titles to come out for the platform, regardless of genre. How popular it remains is hard to gauge, but I usually never see it listed whenever the topic of great DOS games comes up. This Wiki entry gives more information about the game than you would probably care to know about the game...oh yeah, did I mention it's freeware, too?

If I didn't have a pressing engagement, I could go on for awhile. So, more to come later. I <3 DOS.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Consider me curious about Last Rites after hearing that... huh. I love me some horror gaming not called "Resident Evil" or "Silent Hill"

An older DOS game some may not remember, in the same horror vein which I absolutely adored was a point-n-click adventure called Veil of Darkness

The atmosphere in this one is really entrancing and sucks you in. The dialogue is actually... pretty decent for a non-Lucasarts game. A must for anyone who, like me, loved the Ravenloft style of Vampire horror.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Captain Blood is one that I've always wanted to play, but never got around to dedicating any real time for. I loved the "sequel," Commander Blood. The first one is a technical marvel in that you actually talk to aliens in a different language, while the second one was done with muppets. In fact, I'm going to include both, since Commander Blood is a DOS game, and it refuses to run properly in anything but DOSBox or the most pure DOS environment. Crashes on my DOS 7.0 system.

Muppets don't get much more badass than this...

If the criteria is 16-bit, then I'm going to include Missionforce: Cyberstorm, which doesn't run nicely on anything but 16-bit Windows. It's a turn-based strategy game with mechs from the Earthsiege universe. You manage your mechs, upgrade them, and raise new bio-engineered pilots to man them. I didn't get as into the sequel.

Lunar Command is kind of like Sim City on the moon, except not quite as exciting (ha ha...). It's an updated version of an earlier game called Moonbase. I didn't really understand it back then, and I don't quite understand it now, but it's certainly a curiosity worth mentioning.