Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Midwest Gaming Classic 2010 3/26-3/28 THIS WEEKEND!!!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by martyg View Post
    The only time Jagfest was in the museum/events hall (which is what it was called at Olympia) was when it was just a little endcap table with some Jaguar stuff on it and nobody manning it. Otherwise, when Dan I was manning it, Jagfest was in the coin room one year and by Carl F.'s booth in the vending area last year.
    to correct you: at MGC 2004 jagfest shared the room with underground chamber this was at the shearaton (the room was across the vending hall).
    and do seem to remember that at the Oylmpia that the UC was in the center of the room and jagfest was in the back a few years back.
    it was dreamcast section(the year the table fell) UC , then Jagfest.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isent an e-mail to goatdan about what I stated here about this years show but I'll sum it up here as well:
    1. the layout of the show was good while the vendor hall was a bit crowded over still good.
    2. wifi: I had no time to look for JD or who ever else was in taking care of the net connection,with me and jason switching on/off on the section.
    you should have either e-mail attendees,vendors and exhibitors at least two months before the show about the wifi situation with if it's free or not and how to access it, or at least have the person come to the exhibitors who need wifi and fill them in on it.
    we don't have time to to go looking for person.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Iacovelli View Post
    to correct you: at MGC 2004 jagfest shared the room with underground chamber this was at the shearaton (the room was across the vending hall).
    Sorry, but that's incorrect. There was no Underdog Chamber in 2004. There was a Marathon Lan, and maybe that's what you're confusing it with. The Underdog Chamber did not begin until 2006, our first year at Olympia.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by martyg View Post
    Sorry, but that's incorrect. There was no Underdog Chamber in 2004. There was a Marathon Lan, and maybe that's what you're confusing it with. The Underdog Chamber did not begin until 2006, our first year at Olympia.
    to quote johny carson: :"I did not know that"
    but didn't the LAN marathon eventually become the UC?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought the show was awesome. The layout may have been a bit maze-y at first, but no more difficult than navigating the Olymipia.

I think the organizers may have been ripped off on a couple of commercials on the Hog, as I was leaving town at 7PM on Sunday, they ran one... A bit late for that, guys!

The biggest problem I have with the show is the same thing that happened last year... For the month or two afterward I just went ape**** on eBay buying more stuff. It gives me the systems/games bug.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Haha, yeah me too. I'm usually pretty good only going out to buy shit like once every couple weeks, now I'm just aching to find more games in the wild.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Insert Coin (Level 0) DHG Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Also, how come the Versus Room was closed all day Saturday? I was really looking forward to some 10-player Saturn Bomberman!
    It opened around 4-5 PM if I'm not mistaken on Saturday. The reason it was closed for so long was because I got food poisoning Friday during our set-up. It got so bad that my friends were trying to get me to go to the hospital, but honestly, I wasn't about to leave the show that I'd worked so hard on and planned for all year long.

That forced my guys - two of which were new this year - to set up both our museum room and Versus Room largely by themselves... Honestly, I think they did a great job! By the time I was well enough to come down on Saturday (around noon), I realized that a lot of the work of collecting systems from the various Versus Room donors still needed to be done as well as figuring out the room's electrical. After collecting what systems we still could so late on Saturday, I had two of my friends and a few volunteers working on getting the room set up as quickly as possible.

Next year, Lord willing I don't get sick or something, I hope to have the Versus Room looking much better with all of the systems we originally intented on putting in there. Plus, this year also gave me a few ideas for how the flow will work next year with that room. I definitely had certain systems like the Saturn (10-player Bomberman) and Halo Networks too close to one another.

Later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two quick notes about the show while I think about it as well...

First off, I think S1lence said something about perceiving attendance being down. It is going to be another week or two for Dan & Co. to go through all of the tickets, passes, and wristbands handed out at the show, but we already knew on the final day of the show that last year's attendance had at least been met. This was critical because our budget this year was in-line with last year's attendance plus some. Therefore, had we not hit or surpassed, we would likely be talking about the death of the show rather than what we'd like to do for 2011.

Second, I have to address a lot of this talk about the show's layout. Are there things that can be done to make navigating the show easier? Certainly, and if we're in a hotel like the Sheraton again next year, we've got a year's worth of experience now that we can use to better alleviate what issues people had so long (as Dan said) we can realistically accommodate them. Yet no matter where we go there is always going to be some that have problems navigating the show... Even if we're in one large 100,000 square foot room, there will be issues.

Case in point: I knew Carlson's Mad Gear Games was in the vendor hall this year, but after moving through the hall once I couldn't find him. I looked around again and... yep... He was just inside the main door, in one of the most obvious spots around. Doh.

In years past we've also had people complain they didn't know where the museum or arcade rooms were at the Olympia... Up the few steps and in the next room over.

Basically, navigation is a concern for most any show out there (at least those larger than the small room we began life at in 2001 & 2002). I'm confident we'll do a much better job in the coming years taking these comments you’ve all made to heart, and in turn if we do remain in the Sheraton, a lot of you will remember the show's layout from this year and therefore be able to better navigate it next time, just like I'm sure many of you became more and more comfortable with the Olympia as we stayed there for several years.

Despite my illness, I really enjoyed the show this year and I had a lot of fun throughout. I read that some of you enjoyed playing systems like the Famicom, SuperGrafx and Pippin... That, for me anyway, makes putting the show together even more fun.

Later.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

That Pippin was fun, so was the PC-FX. I don't know if it was just the game, but the Super A'Can didn't respond to the controller when I used it?

Glad to see people were actually playing Popcorn on my CoCo.

Can't wait for next year!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I don't know if it was just the game, but the Super A'Can didn't respond to the controller when I used it?
    There were two controllers connected, and for most of the games, you could only use the first. Also, I noticed someone put C.U.G. into password mode which you can't get out of unless you reset it from the system... I had to pull that shield up a few times because of that, heh.

Later.