Thread: All PS3s have universal power supplies?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default All PS3s have universal power supplies?

Hey everybody. So I'm in Korea for the next year (or maybe longer, who knows), and I want to get a PS3. Thing is, I want to get a Korean PS3s since those are cheapest here (big surprise). However, if and when I return to the states, I want my PS3 to work there. I hear that the Japanese and US PS3s have universal power supplies, but I've been researching and I can't find a specific site that tells me that all PS3s have universal power supplies, I only hear about the Japanese and US ones. Does anyone know if the Korean PS3s have universal power supplies as well? Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Japanese PS3s aren't universal, at least mine isn't. 100V, 50-60Hz, standard JP voltage only. Should run fine in the US, though.

I bought a Singapore 60GB PS3 for a friend when they were released, 240V, 50Hz only. He had to get a power converter.

Why don't you just check one out in a store? The label on the unit will say if it's universal or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

When I came back with the Korean PS2 and Korean Xbox, I had to get a step up converter from Radio Shack for about $80. This isn't one of those "plug into the wall until it burns out a few hours later" this is a serious heavy duty one I've been using for the last five years.

Assuming you're living in or near Seoul, when I was there, there was a gentleman on the second floor of one of the electronics malls in Yongsan (a little further away from the station) that would modify consoles for 40,000 Won, but I understand the PS3 has no regional barriers so you might not need to worry about it.

Not answering your question, really, but if you get it it and bring it back, Radio Shack should be able to hook you up with a permanent power solution.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PSU is universal, yes. Bought a NTSC PS3 (I'm in Norway, PAL-land) and plugged in a normal PC power cable and it works like a dream. When you get back to the states, buy a PC powercable for $5 or whatever, and enjoy!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smork View Post
    Japanese PS3s aren't universal, at least mine isn't. 100V, 50-60Hz, standard JP voltage only. Should run fine in the US, though.

I bought a Singapore 60GB PS3 for a friend when they were released, 240V, 50Hz only. He had to get a power converter.

Why don't you just check one out in a store? The label on the unit will say if it's universal or not.
    That's the thing. The label says it's not universal, but if you look inside, the power supply will most likely say that it's universal.

Nico87: Thanks, but I need to be sure about the Korean ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drummy View Post
    That's the thing. The label says it's not universal, but if you look inside, the power supply will most likely say that it's universal.

Nico87: Thanks, but I need to be sure about the Korean ones.
    How can you ever know without popping one open then? You'll never be sure. There are so many different hardware revisions that what may be true for one may not be true for another.

Why not just get one and then get a power converter when you get back home if it doesn't work there? Or, alternatively check with a game repair shop there and see if they know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what it looks like, Sony shipped universal power supplies to the Asian markets so that they didn't have to create separate Japanese and the rest of Asia PS3s. That being said, I'm reading this from a 2006 article about the launch. I'm assuming you'll be getting a PS3 slim, so it is possible Sony changed their power supply.

If that is the case, the US version is universal: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayS...-3-Slim/1121/2. I wouldn't be surprised if the Asian versions are too. You may have to buy an adaptor to plug it in, but thankfully the PS3 can be run from non-proprietary parts.
    I have a sig?