Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you a Point & Click Adventure game fan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I used to be a fan of these but some of them seemed to digress to just making the player click on everything on screen until you "found" things. Combined with inferior graphics of yesteryear, and you could end up with some pretty frustrating experiences. I haven't heard of many of the newer games listed in this thread, so maybe I'll download some of them and check them out.

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the carmen sandiego games, and I played a lot of the Humongous Entertainment games in my youth. I have recently gotten Aura: Fate of the Ages and the sequel, The Sacred Rings. Haven't beaten either, but the first is good so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I love them. I don't play them constantly, as I know this will cause me to slowly despise them, but when I do play them, I love every minute.

I vividly remember playing both Broken Swords, Icom games, King's Field...pure awesomeness.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Snatcher is the only point and click game I ever started to get into. I still haven't finished it yet but this thread was a nice reminder for me.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Are there any on A8?

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lewton,

If you are going to play the Tex Murphy games you may want to start with the game that started it all...One of my favorites (mainly for nostalgia sake) was Mean Streets by Access. It had that quasi RealSound digitized music and sound which blew me away after being conditioned and accustomed to the beeps and blips before sound cards. I don't think I ever finished it, but got to the very end only to learn I had missed something somewhere along the way as I never used any guides or cheats.

Following that in the series was Martian Memorandum. (these were more traditional third person P&C more than FMV as the later titles became). But you probably already knew this based on the vast number of resources and knowledge you have demonstrated.

Anyway, early Sierra games and these Access games is what started it all for me...well other than text adventures, but then I would be dating myself a bit too much.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Hi DD (say if that's not okay ........ easier to type though ),

Everyone I've 'spoken' to says that Mean Streets is the best of the two earliest ones, but does that mean that Martian Memorandum is poor, or just not quite as good? Out of the last three, most people seem to say that The Pandora Directive is the best. I'll definitely start with the earliest though. Old graphics don't affect my enjoyment one jot. It's the story, atmosphere, puzzles and music that draw me in. In fact, many modern graphic adventures are heavy on awesome graphics, but hollow on atmosphere and story. There are exceptions though. Thanks for the tip concerning Mean Streets.

Playing text adventures doesn't date you at all. I haven't played many earlier 'classics', including most of the Infocoms, but I enjoy, these days, digging through the Interactive Fiction Competition entries of the last 15 years. Do you know of them? All are free.

My number one favourite has to be one called Anchorhead, by a chap called Michael Gentry. To play the games it's necessary to download Interpreters, as their called. Some of these IF adventures are really, really good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lewton View Post
    Hi DD (say if that's not okay ........ easier to type though ),

Everyone I've 'spoken' to says that Mean Streets is the best of the two earliest ones, but does that mean that Martian Memorandum is poor, or just not quite as good? Out of the last three, most people seem to say that The Pandora Directive is the best. I'll definitely start with the earliest though. Old graphics don't affect my enjoyment one jot. It's the story, atmosphere, puzzles and music that draw me in. In fact, many modern graphic adventures are heavy on awesome graphics, but hollow on atmosphere and story. There are exceptions though. Thanks for the tip concerning Mean Streets.

Playing text adventures doesn't date you at all. I haven't played many earlier 'classics', including most of the Infocoms, but I enjoy, these days, digging through the Interactive Fiction Competition entries of the last 15 years. Do you know of them? All are free.

My number one favourite has to be one called Anchorhead, by a chap called Michael Gentry. To play the games it's necessary to download Interpreters, as their called. Some of these IF adventures are really, really good.
    DD is fine (actually there could have been some type of Freudian meaning behind my name and initials...but I'm not saying for sure...)

Again alot of it is nostalgia and the fact that when I originally played it, it featured the most advanced graphics and sound of its time, but Mean Streets overall seemed to have a better story and plotline. I also remember Martian Memorandum being much easier (finished it and pretty quickly) versus Mean Streets where I somehow could not locate one of the passcards.

Funny to see many have finished this in the 10-15 hour range. Seems to have taken me about 30-40 hours. Maybe due to my inexperience and it being one of my first. Martian Memorandum I believe was much more linear and did not require much backtracking like Mean Streets and the immersion with the other chracters was not as great. Was not as much fun to experiment with different responses, reactions or interactions by clicking on everything. I call this the Zelda technique (burning every tree down just to see if something is there). Some games immerse you enough to stick around and experiment, where others you just plod your way through with tunnel vision. Again this may have been just due to the unique and groundbreaking experience of the original.

Martian Memorandum was good, but like many sequels missed slightly to recapture or re-invent the charm of the original.

I equally enjoyed all of the later games in the series and could not say one versus the other was my favorite...although Overseer has the best production and story but the puzzles just seemed to get recycled from one game to the next.

For some reason other games randomly popped into my head while reminiscing...Amazon: Guardians of Eden, Rex Nebular, Orion Conspiracy (not so great), Mission Critical (excellent), and all the Legend Spellcasting and Timequest games...oh, the memories. Gotta go back and see which ones I finished...

Thanks for the tip on IFC (doesn't ring a bell) and Anchorhead (I think I've heard of this one). I played many of the Infocom ones. I think the independent and vintage text ones will be my next area of focus.

Insert Coin (Level 0) chrissylas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am a HUGE Adventure game fan. So glad to see that there are others

At the risk of being unoriginal.. Grim Fandango is my absolute favorite game. I was able to get Tim Schafer to autograph Grim Fandango and Psychonauts for me a few weeks ago and it was probably one of the coolest moments ever.

I just recently picked up the Neverhood again after 4 years of searching but I can't seem to get my computer to run it. I figure it's about time to invest in a cheap-as-dirt gaming pc for my adventure fix.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just realized I hadn't checked up on Broken Sword 2.5 for a while - that's the free fangame done in the style of BS 1 & 2. It actually got finished a long time ago!
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Mena Streets is very good, I even played it on C128.

Anyone ever try David Wolf Secret Agent (DOS)? I liked Heart of China and Rise of the Dragon from Dynamics.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Diatribal Deity View Post
    DD is fine (actually there could have been some type of Freudian meaning behind my name and initials...but I'm not saying for sure...)

For some reason other games randomly popped into my head while reminiscing...Amazon: Guardians of Eden, Rex Nebular, Orion Conspiracy (not so great), Mission Critical (excellent), and all the Legend Spellcasting and Timequest games...oh, the memories. Gotta go back and see which ones I finished...

Thanks for the tip on IFC (doesn't ring a bell) and Anchorhead (I think I've heard of this one). I played many of the Infocom ones. I think the independent and vintage text ones will be my next area of focus.
    Hi DD,

You've just gotta play Anchorhead! Seriously!

As for the others you mentioned, I agree, except that I didn't care The Orion Conspiracy. I didn't like the story material at all. You'll probably know what I mean.

Chrissy,

You MUST play Neverhood again. It works on my Windows 98 PC, but I haven't tried it on my XP. I have 3 gaming PC's. Two I've hung on to .... for my oldies .... and one I bought especially for one game, would you believe? I bought it for Flight of the Amazon Queen because I was so (sad!, sad!, sadly!), desperate to play it, but it's the best £30 I ever spent on anything game-related. It's a Dell GX PRO, running Windows 95 and DOS when I want it to. I recommend you you find a way to get Neverhood to work asap. You'll probably find that other oldies will profit from your efforts too. Synnergist is a bu$$er to get to run, but it's a treat!

Jorpho,

BS 2.5 is great looking and free, as you say, but there's supposed to be an update with English voices soon. I've been hanging on for that. As I said before, BS1 and BS2 are in my top 5 ever favourites.

By the way, has there ever been a thread here for members top 10 favourite p & c adventure games? It's a tough choice for me, but it may be interesting. There are far more adventure game fans ('Adventurers'), here than I at first thought.

Tom,

Ive never heard of David Wolf Secret Agent (DOS), but I'm going to look it up. Heart of China and Rise of the Dragon have awesome box art and screenshots and they've long been on my stupidly lengthy to-play list.

Also, anyone played A.D. 2044, Master Of Dimensions or Liath?

Lewton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Played David Wolf Secret Agent to death when it came out years ago. Had a mix of gameplay elements from what I remember and was extremely short. But it featured the advent of digitized characters and as close to a multimedia movie experience as could be achieved at the time. Fondly remember the skydiving scene and if I remember correctly flying the through the barn...not so much an adventure game...moreso interactive experience.

I'm jealous of the autograph Chrissy, everything that man touches is gold IMO.

Tom, any of note on the A8? I think i played Hitchhiker's Guide on it but I know there are probably some additonal gems as well.

Lewton, shame on you for mentioning those games...they continue to allude me to this day. Well A.D. 2044 and Master of Dimensions Have you played them? Any good? How about Nippon Safes, L-Zone, Orion Burger, or Igor.

Gotta get back into Broken Sword series (can't remember if I finished the second one) and still have to bring out the newer ones. 2.5 sounds intriguing. Would also like to start the Kyrandia series soon as well.

Also check out Return of the Phantom, Dragonsphere, Kronolog (interesting if not a bit different), Conquests of Camelot (The Legend of Robin Hood) for some mediocre to good 'ole adventuring.

Ha, and Lewton you were afraid of a data dump. I bet I could give ya' a run for your money.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Hi DD,

No. Seriously a 'data dump' is what it could end up being ........... a very nice looking dump though!

Haven't played those yet, apart from most of Orion Burger. I've checked them out though and, for my gluttonous sins, I have them all in pretty boxes. , except Igor. There's an Orion Burger on UK eBay at the moment as it happens.

Master of Dimensions is very high on my to-play list. Been looking forward to playing it for ages. As far as I know, Igor was only ever released in Spanish, but that an English version Beta release is around somewhere. It was planned, but never completed/released. Do you know more?

Similarly with Black Sect, from Lankhor, creators of Maupiti Island and Mortville Manor. I have both, but not both as English and PC.

I like weird/surreal adventures too, and Alice: An Interactive Museum is one that's a bit quirky. Haven't played it yet, but will someday. Really off-beat ones that I either have or am after include Cosmology of Kyoto, Grackon's Curse, Bad Milk, Mortalus and Fascination (from Coktel). I have a couple of them, but not all. Have you heard of a game from Russian developer New Media Generation (NMG), called The Case? It's been confirmed that it was released in English, but all I have are a few cute screenshots. A nightmare of a game to search for on eBay ............ The Case ............. Doh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've played a few of them, but I don't know if I would go and call myself a huge fan. I've only beaten The Secret of Monkey Island and Sam & Max and am currently working on The Secret of Monkey Island 2. I'm just so bad at finding secrets that I have to use Gamefaqs to progress, which I don't really like to do. Or maybe it's just Secret of Monkey Island 2.... I really don't know.
    I have a sig?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lewton View Post
    Really off-beat ones that I either have or am after include Cosmology of Kyoto, Grackon's Curse, Bad Milk, Mortalus and Fascination (from Coktel).
    I've heard very nice things about Bad Milk. I ought to take a look at that one; it's not nearly as hard to find (a non-physical copy, anyway) as I thought it might be.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm surprised that Day of the Tentacle hasn't been mentioned more. That's THE definitive game in the genre for me.

I was actually introduced to the genre on NES. I can't remember which I played first, but I rented Maniac Mansion and King's Quest V, and struggled with the controls (I was like, 3 or 4...). After seeing the demo for DoTT included with Rebel Assault, I talked my dad into getting it even though Rebel Assault ran like crap on our 486DX. It crashed a LOT, but I absolutely loved it, and memorized the script by the time I was through kindergarten.

I got the King's Quest Collector's Edition (1-6) for my 6th birthday, which got me into the more serious side of adventure gaming. It wasn't long until I discovered the other LucasArts adventures, The Journeyman Project, Total Distortion, Myst, etc.

Growing up, I absolutely loved DoTT for its humor and KQV for its overall epic-ness. Years later, I have to say that KQVI has aged a little better than V, but DoTT is still just as great.

Counting Myst is debateable. I've personally never counted Myst as a graphic adventure, but I understand why people do. For me, Myst was about the story and atmosphere, so I didn't really like it as a game series. The puzzles seemed kinda disjointed from the overall experience, but then again, I was more interested in exploring than solving puzzles. I loved figuring out how to use the different machines, but solving the actual puzzles was frustrating and tedious. The lack of object-based puzzles compared to something like DoTT probably skewed my perspective a bit.

If you're going to count the Myst-likes, then I have to say that The Journeyman Project is my all-time favorite. It balanced good (object-based) puzzles with amazing visuals (by 1993 CD-ROM game standards). I've never been more drawn in by the art element of a game, and Geno Andrews' unique sound design certainly helped. As for straight-up graphic adventures, my favorite would have to be The Dig. The Dig has its flaws, but the story has weight to it and it succeeds on a technical level. While the animation has been criticized for clashing with the overall art direction, those cutscenes provided full-screen film-style animation on CD-ROM.

These are the games that make me wish the 90s never ended. Total Distortion in particular captured the 90s style, and it makes so much sense if you put yourself in the right mindset. I still have memories of the TD demo on a magazine CD along with previews of Toad the Wet Sprocket's new album and Cooking with Dom Delouise.

I can't speak for the modern adventure games, but a promising area to watch is the "visual novel" genre. It's closer to text adventure, but has a lot of potential to draw from graphic adventures. Hentai games and dating sims are more common right now, but the potential for proper adventure games is certainly there. Check out Radical Dreamers (SNES Satellaview) for a good example of the format used in an adventure game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spy Fox in Dry Cereal ftw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Agreed. DOTT definately was a landmark game. Great atmosphere, clever writing, and a timeless and unique experience overall. Depending on when you "jumped" into the genre I guess your definitive or standout games will vary. I have in the past and probably will continue to mention games, that viewed or played now might be considered primitive, shallow, and overall pretty mediocre but they somehow left an impression.

For instance I have some fond memories of playing The Dark Crystal (now that's going back), Blue Force, Codename Iceman, Shadow of the Comet, Darkseed, The Scroll, Eric the Unready, Freddy Pharkas, The Gene Machine, Teen Agent, Harvester (interesting premise if you know the ending...not really proud I finished this one), and James Bond: A Stealth Affair.

Lewton, did not know that about Igor, but then again I don't think I have ever come across the actual retail release. Alice is right there with AD 2044 and MoD as far as on my acquisition list.

The Case...that wasn't Midnight Nowhere was it? Probably not, but that was the first thing that popped into my head. If not, add another to my ever growing list. Top ten???I think I would have to make it my top 100 first in no particular order and even that could be tough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    If you're going to count the Myst-likes, then I have to say that The Journeyman Project is my all-time favorite. It balanced good (object-based) puzzles with amazing visuals (by 1993 CD-ROM game standards). I've never been more drawn in by the art element of a game, and Geno Andrews' unique sound design certainly helped. As for straight-up graphic adventures, my favorite would have to be The Dig. The Dig has its flaws, but the story has weight to it and it succeeds on a technical level. While the animation has been criticized for clashing with the overall art direction, those cutscenes provided full-screen film-style animation on CD-ROM.
    If you liked it that much, you should look for the Pegasus Project download floating around. It's neatly packaged with a preconfigured PowerMac emulator - though it's not quite as easy to use as it could be.