Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you a Point & Click Adventure game fan?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile Are you a Point & Click Adventure game fan?

If so, say hello.

I'll start ............... hello!

By the way, I'm new here, so please excuse my first fumbles at posting.

After having hung around here for a while just reading, the setting up of a classic computer gaming section finally made me take the plunge and register.

Anyway, I like both playing and collecting DOS and Windows adventures, and I recently finished (for the 1st time), the classic Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers. No idea why it took me so long to get around to play this. Glad I finally did though. Just GK2 left to play now.

For some reason I'm yet to play a fair few of the so-called classics whilst, at the same time, I've played some of the more obscure graphic adventures, strongly puzzle -orientated adventures, and some memorable text adventures (mostly recent ones).

I was just wondering .... are there many P&C adventure game folk like me here?

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello there!

Yes, I am a point & click adventure game fan too. I especially love the Lucasarts games, like Monkey Island, Loom, and The Dig. My favorite Monkey Island game is number 3, the Curse of Monkey Island. I'm also a fan of Interplay's Star Trek P&C games such as the 25th anniversary and Judgement Rites and I'd probably be playing one of them now had it not been for the fact that I can't get them to work right in DOSbox. (I can't save )

I've played several obscure titles like Les Manley: Search for The King (a ripoff of Leisure Suit Larry lol), Touche: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer, and some others.

I actually own almost all of the King's Quest games, but I've never played them for more than a little while (except for King's Quest VI, that's an awesome game.)
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Return to Zork counts, then yes, yes I am.

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Huge adventure game fan here as well, although more third person than first person. The Beast Within is excellent even with all the FMV so you should enjoy it immensely.

Unfortunately I've been doing more collecting than actually playing recently, but I'm always on the lookout for past and present point & click adventure games.

A hearty welcome to the forums...you're in great company.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SireScawt

One of my earliest gaming memories is playing Indy & The Last Crusade in my friends' basement. We'd play flight sims, X-Wing and Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiago; great times were had. I mostly err to the side of Lucasarts, but I'm also a Police Quest fan.

So, hello!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi!

Return to Zork definitely counts - one of the famous ones I still haven't played. Looking forward to all the Zorks. No idea if it matters in which order you should play the graphic Zorks though. Iwas told it doesn't really matter. Is that true?

Yep! I love the Lucas Arts games. I've played all the Monkey Island series, but Secret of MI is my favourite, with Curse Of .. second. Haven't played The Dig or Loom yet. I do have them though, and plan to play them soon. Grim Fandango is one of my absolute favs. Also, Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max Hit the Road. Yet to play Full Throttle though.

Interesting what you say about the Star Trek games. I've got 25th Anniversary, but none of the others like Borg, Next Generation, etc.. I've never been really sure as to which are interactive movies, which have combat (not keen on that, with a few very combat -ty exceptions), and which are 'pure' adventure.

I've got the King's Quest's as a collection and I'm playing my way through them at the moment. I may go back and play the freeware remakes of I and II (and III?).

Touche is one of my favourites too. Very Monkey Island 1 -ish.

The Longest Journey and Discworld Noir (hence the nickname), are two of my all-timers, as are Toonstruck, Stupid Invaders, GK3 and my all-time favourites, Broken Sword 1 and 2. Of lesser known ones (in my eyes), I have great memories of The Neverhood and Sherlock Holmes: Case of the Rose Tattoo as well.

Quite a few others, but I'd probably send you to sleep with my reminiscences.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The P&C genre is alive and well. If you have not heard of 5 Days A Stranger and its sequels, you should seek them out.

Seems one of the great Adventure Game Studio classics is on sale at the moment, but there's only three hours left to get it:
    http://www.gamedujour.com/6541-the-b...ll-convergence
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Diatribal Deity and Scawt!

Yes. I collect far more than I can keep pace with playing too and I'm really looking forward to GK2, but a bit cool on FMV games in general. GK2 is so highly regarded though. I'm going to try to get into FMV games more. I was the same about 1st person, but now I don't mind them. I prefer 3rd person though. But, if I can get to like FMV I want to play Black Dahlia, the Tex Murphy FMV's, and Ripper sometime.

One game I'm always getting off the shelves, but never played because other 'things' seem to crop up, is Indiana Jones and the Fate Of Atlantis. Now that really is my type of old school adventure. I want to be sure I have time free to play it on consecutive evenings though. That's how I like playing best. No week-long gaps.

Hi Jorpho!

I started 5 Days A Stranger and liked it a lot, but got pulled away and never got past around 20% of it - lots of holes in the garden as I remember (?). Will get back to it someday. Have you played Something Amiss and Jessica Plunkenstein and The Dusseldorf Conspiracy? They're good and free too. Out of Order is another good one, and Cubert Badbone, P.I. is an odd one I liked too.

Off to bed now. Thanks for the welcome! It's good to see I'm not alone here. Actually, I'm quite amazed, and pleased, to see that there's a good few of us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lewton View Post
    No idea if it matters in which order you should play the graphic Zorks though. Iwas told it doesn't really matter. Is that true?
    Nah, you don't *have* to play them in order, but there's a few inside-jokey moments that you'd appreciate more if you've played them sequentially. If you're going to play them all, might as well do it in order.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Zak McKracken, very funny, might as well play Maniac Mansion I + II too
    Last edited by tom; 10-03-2009 at 03:18 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, definitely. Old and new.

There's lots of "gold" in this genre to keep you occupied. Might take you awhile to sort through it!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Red face

The thing that's ridiculous is that I've been collecting for years now, so I've got loads of the games, both obscure, 'classic', old and new. But, the collecting completely took over the playing, so I know I'll never ever play the whole bunch. Prioritising is the problem - too many tasty temptations. I'm no spring chicken either - not old, but not young either.

I suppose that's the case with all collector-players. Every time I find an oldy but goody I abandon my plan of which game to play next. It's flippin' frustrating though ........ but in a nice way, ya know?! Gawd! I'm sad!

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

The only P&C games I've ever really played for PC is Yoda's Stories, but I liked it.

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lewton View Post
    The thing that's ridiculous is that I've been collecting for years now, so I've got loads of the games, both obscure, 'classic', old and new. But, the collecting completely took over the playing, so I know I'll never ever play the whole bunch. Prioritising is the problem - too many tasty temptations. I'm no spring chicken either - not old, but not young either.

I suppose that's the case with all collector-players. Every time I find an oldy but goody I abandon my plan of which game to play next. It's flippin' frustrating though ........ but in a nice way, ya know?! Gawd! I'm sad!
    Adventure games can be like book reading (although I'm not really into it). Every time you start one its a commitment. As average or below average as it might be, you usually feel compelled to finish it once you start it. Obviously the good ones you can't stop playing to see what happens next, but sometimes they just seem to end too quickly.

Back in the days of King's Quest (and other Roberta Williams titles like Colonel's Bequest, the Dager of Amon Ra), Space Quest, LSL, Hero's Quest, the Lucasarts gems (MI, Grim Fandango, Loom, etc...) and the like, it seemed plausible to keep up playing each one as they came out. Now, however, there seems to be a huge backlog of great mainstream titles and many independents (foreign and domestic).

I know many have recommended or referenced titles so far...and it sounds like between all of us the landscape is pretty much covered...but any recommendations of obscure or overlooked titles is greatly appreciated.

I will mention a couple decent ones that get overlooked:

Altered Destiny
    Innocent Until Caught
    Backpacker: The Lost Florence Gold Mine

Also be sure to check out this site if you haven't already (this site was formerly known as four fat chicks) but has a great review archive of classic and modern adventure titles:
    http://tap-repeatedly.com/review_index.shtml

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Adventure games are pretty much my favourite genre, though I also still have a bunch of games I haven't got around to playing yet. I mostly like the LucasArts games, I haven't really played any of the Sierra games yet though I do have some of them. I have the first 2 Broken Sword games but I still haven't played them yet(only the GBA port of the first one), same with Toonstruck, Fate of Atlantis, The Last Crusade, Grim Fandango, Discworld 1 and Noir, Police Quest Collection, A couple Space Quest and King's Quest games, The Last Express, Spy Fox 2, Journeyman Project Turbo, Noctropolis, Myst and Riven, 7th Guest, etc. I really thought I've played more of them than I have, I really need more free time.

I didn't know four fat chicks changed their name, it must have been awhile since I've visited review sites.

Here's a free online adventure game that plays like Shadowgate.
    http://www.aceteam.cl/retro/

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    The only P&C games I've ever really played for PC is Yoda's Stories, but I liked it.
    Oooh good choice. Not quite usual P&C fare but a nice little game nontheless. You know, Indiana Jones Desktop Adventures uses the same game engine but it has Indy in it.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

I know what you mean about having to play to the end - bugs permitting. I hate resorting to walkthroughs too, and only use things like UHS as a very last resort.

As for a few obsure -ish (and not so), oddities I'd recommend, including some good independent developer games, I'll start with;

The Neverhood (not really obscure, but superb claymation -type graphics)
    Noctropolis (comic book adventure)
    Synnergist
    Obsidian
    Monet and the Mystery of the Orangery (Museum)
    Scratches (not obscure at all)
    Sanitarium (not obscure, but excellent)
    Stupid Invaders (really good if you like daft, risque humour)
    Shivers
    Ween: The Prophecy
    Master Of Dimensions
    Last Half of Darkness (the series)
    The Feeble Files
    Cracking the Conspiracy
    Faust

That's enough ......... SHUT UP Lewton!

By the way, a couple of good adventure websites I'd recommend include;

Tap Repeatedly (already mentioned)

Mystery Manor (reviews) .............. http://www.mysterymanor.net/conservatory.htm

Adventure Point (a big information databases of adventure games) ............. http://www.adventurepoint.co.uk/#/ap-home/4521113552

Adventure Lantern (reviews) ............. http://www.adventurelantern.com/Reviews/Index.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

man Fate of Atlantis was a fun P&C adventure game.

I played the balls out of that.

and, what about the 7th guest

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I'm a huge fan of Grim Fandango. What's really strange is that I've never really gotten into other P&C games, though I do really enjoy the style.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Grim Fandango is most definitely one of the finest games I have ever played.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)