Thread: GOG.com joystick issue - Descent and Descent 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default GOG.com joystick issue - Descent and Descent 2

Tonight I bought my first game from gog.com. It was the Decent 1 and 2 combo pack for $5.99.

I excitedly grabbed my Saitek Cyborg Evo from the closet and plugged it in. Vista configured it immediately. I double checked the settings and it recognized everything, all the buttons, the Y and X axis, the throttle, etc... it all worked.

In descent, it won't recognize the top hat at all. WTF? It also doesn't recognize the throttle (this didn't surprise me). I used to play this on a 486 on a friend's computer with a Thrustmaster joystick with a top hat and it worked wonderfully. I tried remapping the keys in dosbox (CTRL+f1) but it didn't help

Has anyone had this problem? I checked the gog.com forum but it didn't help.

I'm pretty unimpressed with gog.com, I thought their games were just supposed to work

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I just checked GOG and found this;
    http://www.gog.com/en/support/descent_1_descent_2

On the right side of the page near the bottom there appears to be a link you can contact.

Contact our support team
    You can always contact our support team if you can’t find solution for your problem or you did come up with your own solution and want to share it.
    Right under that there's "I can’t find solution for my problem". Try contacting them directly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Indeed, one would think that having paid them money, they would be willing and able to provide support.

Also, why not use http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/ or http://www.descent2.de/d2x.html ?

A search on the DOSBox forums also turns up http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=21483 , which suggests that you might try throwing DOSBox 0.73 at it, as http://dosbox.com/wiki/GOG_games_that_use_DOSBox does suggest that Descent uses DOSBox 0.72 at the moment.
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 10-03-2009 at 07:51 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

In a related subject, I've never been able to get that stupid keymapper to work on any version of DOSBox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. I checked the gog forums and sent their support an email.

I also tried to install my own version of dosbox (the latest version). I eventually found a program called d1x-rebirth that patches all the graphics to higher res and let's me use my joystick properly. I've got the game working well - it's just as fun (and disorienting) as I remember

I'm still a little pissy that the gog version doesn't support modern joysticks out of the box, but at least I don't feel that I've wasted $6 on the games. If they're going to be charging for these antique games, they should ensure that people don't have to frig around with them too much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

On the other hand, I barely even know what a joystick top hat is.

You might also have to alter your DOSBox.conf a little (as suggested by that thread) if you want to give DOSBox 0.73 a whirl again.
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 10-04-2009 at 01:26 AM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a heads up, it's not a DOSbox issue from what I can tell.

On a Windows 98SE machine with the correct Wingman drivers installed I have had some issues while playing my copies. Descent 1 only picks up on buttons 1-4 of my Wingman (set to Joystick interface). Descent 2 grabs everything, but I need to set the buttons on the joystick for moving forward/backward accelerate faster. If I use the keyboard instead (A/Z default) to move then it gives me that quick response. I've calibrated the joystick in the Windows controller console and it has proven it detects everything perfectly outside the Descent games.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]