Thread: Want to buy a Rework Station.

Strawberry (Level 2) MonoTekETeA's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Want to buy a Rework Station.

Looking for a good soldering/desoldering/rework station without breaking the bank. Anyone have any input on this?

-Jeremy

Edit: I was thinking of getting this one: http://www.howardelectronics.com/xytronic/988d.html
    Last edited by MonoTekETeA; 10-05-2009 at 05:38 PM.
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay
    I am really bad at spelling...no really.
    v A gift from Drexel923, Thanks homie! v

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What is your price limit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$300 was about all I could do, until my family said they would put another $250 towards it as a gift for the years to come type deal. So around $550, which I think lands me smack in the middle of okay and good. I don't mind buying used though either, just Ebay seems to be pretty dry.

Edit: I was thinking of a used Metcal MX-500P-11.
    Last edited by MonoTekETeA; 10-06-2009 at 10:45 AM.
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Going all out huh? I just have a basic $30 soldering iron. Are you planning on doing any SMT rework? If so, you might want to get something with a hot air gun.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Going all out huh? I just have a basic $30 soldering iron. Are you planning on doing any SMT rework? If so, you might want to get something with a hot air gun.
    Yeah, I have gotten tired of how much time I waste, and how many things I break due to the basics.
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hakko has a nice rework station around that price that also do hot air. At my job we use Pace, Metcal, OKI and Hakko. I prefer Pace, but they are expensive. OKI was running some good deals this summer, we replaced some old equiptment and my Tech's really like the gear. MInd you this is equiptment that is being used everyday soldering hundreds of boards, so it might bea little over kill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hep038 View Post
    Hakko has a nice rework station around that price that also do hot air. At my job we use Pace, Metcal, OKI and Hakko. I prefer Pace, but they are expensive. OKI was running some good deals this summer, we replaced some old equiptment and my Tech's really like the gear. MInd you this is equiptment that is being used everyday soldering hundreds of boards, so it might bea little over kill.
    Which model are you referring to for the Hakko?

I am really interested in picking up the Metcal and its no BS approch, but after researching everything, it would still be a pretty penny to get me off the ground with all of that. I would like to start full force meaning solder and desolder at least, decent quality, and then move up.

I am still thinking about the Xytronics too though, because that still seems like an okay deal for me, the hobby's man.

Thanks for the input everyone.
    -Jeremy
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think it was the FM-204?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

mmm we use oki irons..way better than the radio shack iron I have for home
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use PACE systems for all my soldering work. They make top notch stuff, but it's not cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have loved a Pace or a Oki set, but I think I found myself at a happy middle ground. I decided in not getting a rework station, but each part individually.

I just ordered a Hakko FP-102 soldering station off ebay for $130 shipped. the dealer deals in all soldering stuff, and he has sold two of these stations in the past with positive feedback. Plus, if anything ever fails on them, I always have the massive backstock of Hakko parts to work with. After reading a review over at Head-Fi.org of a guy who collects a few soldering irons, this was his one of choice after reviewing a few.

I will also be placing a order for a Hakko 808 desoldering gun in the next few days when I find a good price, because every review I read on it says that it is a solid piece of equipment. The FM-204 was really really tempting, but I just bought an Atomiswave cab and ran out of cash for it. ::Blush::

I am also going to pick up a fume extractor, probably the Xytronic's, because after a few years since my first post on breathing in "soder"(lol) in this forum, I am still the dimwitted fool who continue to breathes.

I found that all of these items seem to come out with flying colours, dispite how cheap they can be found. It also lets me not feel foolish, because I would be making the jump from a ratshack stuff to brand new professional stuff, which I think was going to be pretty rediculous on my part. Now I am getting used semi. pro and middle ground items, for middleground prices, and it makes me feel more responsible with my spendings.

If anyone has anything to say about the 808, let me know. I am still willing to look around, but after the FP-102, I kind of bricked a whole one package setup.

I thank you all for your input, it is really appriciated. I am looking forward to actually repairing stuff instead of ripping up traces and over oxidizing solder and then having to repatch redo them over and over with solder and/or krynar. Turbo Duo, Centipede and Nintendo VS. PCB repair, here I come!

-Jeremy
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MonoTekETeA View Post
    I will also be placing a order for a Hakko 808 desoldering gun in the next few days when I find a good price, because every review I read on it says that it is a solid piece of equipment.
    I use an 808 and really like it a lot. Be sure to get the long pointy tip as the stock one is kind big for some work.

Periodically while working with it, and before you unplug it, hold it upside-down (tip pointing up), and pull the trigger a few times until you stop seeing solder land on the little catch platform piece. Also, be sure to use the tools provided to keep it clean. Unless you do a ton of rework, you probably won't need new filters for a while. I've had mine for about 2 years and haven't used all of the filters that it shipped with. Oh, and the little holster stand is a good purchase, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got the FM-102 a few days ago. It is sweet.

What exact tip are you using for the 808 FA?
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can't find the recipt offhand, and all of my tools are still packed up, but I'm pretty sure it's # A1394