Thread: FS: SNES-CD Prototype controller

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default FS: SNES-CD Prototype controller

Hello, everybody.

I am selling a prototype controller for what was the Prototype CD-ROM for the SNES.

According to legend, after Sega came out with the Sega CD add-on for the Sega Genesis, Nintendo contracted with Sony with develop a CD add-on for the SNES. However, the contract supposedly gave the rights to the games for the SNES to Sony rather than Nintendo. Nintendo cancelled the deal, and Sony decided to move forward on their own, taking their research and applying it to what would become the Sony Playstation.

This controller is a prototype controller for the SNES-CD. I got it from a programmer who worked for a company that contracted with Sony during the aforementioned period.

There has been lengthy discussion about this item on both digitpress.com and assemblergames.com as to whether this controller was for the prototype SNES-CD or the prototype playstation, and it has been established that it was in fact used first with the SNES-CD and later with the Playstation. You can view those threads here:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...t=1109&page=39
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=16751

As you can imagine the rarity of this item cannot be overstated.

According to those threads, the last time one of these controllers was listed, it went for $3000. I don't expect to get three grand for it right now, but since I am required to list an asking price, I will go ahead and ask $3000 just for the sake of putting a price, but feel free to make a lower offer, so long as it is a reasonable offer and not a lowball.

Please feel free to PM if you have any questions and are serious about buying.

If you are thinking of sending me a PM, read the following thread, and only contact me again about this item if you have the money to back up the offer RIGHT NOW and can afford it RIGHT NOW. Please don't waste my time with PM's if you are not serious about buying or can't afford to back up your offer. I have been getting a lot of timewasting PM's lately.

Thank you.

"You can judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
    - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

My feedback
    Digitpress.com
    Neo-Geo.com (over 100 feedbacks)
    Sega-Naomi.com
    GameGavel.com
    ChasetheChuckwagon.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bump!
    "You can judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

My feedback
    Digitpress.com
    Sega-Naomi.com
    GameGavel.com
    ChasetheChuckwagon.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last bump before going to ebay.

My feedback
    Digitpress.com
    Sega-Naomi.com
    GameGavel.com
    ChasetheChuckwagon.com

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Not my aim to thread crap in the slightest, i'm just going to toss out a little more info on it for you. BuyAtari is known for tossing very high prices on things when 10cent listing days are around. Not only does it draw some more attention to his collection, he occasionally does sell the items, rarely at that price, but at one he was happy with letting it go to serious collectors to boot. His 3k was one of those prices and I can say with some excellent certainty that when it was sold, it didn't move for near that.

A few months ago, a PS Alpha box (that had ports for these controllers) along with 2 controllers showed up on ebay. It was up for about 2 days before the auction was pulled. We were unable to determine if eBay nuked it, or if the seller pulled it and sold to someone off-site as he never got back to us about the unit when we asked him what happened with it. With the 3rd controller BuyAtari knows about, we're up to a count of 5.

Good luck with your sale!
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now that I now what is a fair market value for this item, I will sell this for $800 plus paypal fees and shipping. If you pay by paypal gift or money order, you can save the paypal fees.

My feedback
    Digitpress.com
    Sega-Naomi.com
    GameGavel.com
    ChasetheChuckwagon.com