Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Freakin never saw it comin [RROD]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Freakin never saw it comin [RROD]

Hm just lost a close friend to a terminal illness today, (saw it coming but never got to say goodbye) this had plagued all those with close relations too. I am of course talking about my gosh darn Xbox360, mother F'er chose to RROD right as I have 3 friend over for some Madden 10, wtf mate.

Anyway, I am over my warranty by about 2 months customer service said I'd be looking at 100 or more based upon if anything else was wrong. I told her that was unacceptable and I wanted them to cover it due to their high failure rate and overall poor product reliability. She said "Sir I am sorry you feel this way but we must blah blah blah". Anyway anyone else no of any good deals going on xbox 360 wise I see Game Natzi er Stop has refurbish for 130-140ish (not really my cup of tea nor is ebay). Also the $50 rebate on the elite is tempting but I'd prefer a sub 200 option maybe Arcade? Suggestions? Comments? Anyone interested in an unattractive large white paper weight?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

If you want to keep going with you 360 gaming, I'd say buy a new Arcade unit.

You'll get another wireless controller (a $50 value which you can easily sell if you don't need it) a unit with an HDMI port, a newer (allegedly less failure prone) motherboard design, and you'll reboot your entire warranty.

You can use the online license transfer tool (once a year only!) so you can play all the DRM heavy games on your HDD, and you'll be good to go.

You can even sell your RROD unit on eBay ... there are people out there that'll buy em broken!

Personally, I wouldn't pay $100 for repairs (or likely a refurb unit).
    That's just me, but it doesn't sound like you're game for that either.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

You could also sell your dead unit to GameStop for a little cash. This happened to me, my 4th unit, and I just bought an Arcade as Frankie said.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it's just the RROD, that's a fairly simple fix that you can do yourself. It took me all of 10 minutes with $3 worth of parts. Send me a PM if you're interested in repairing it, but you would need to decide on whether to do this before selling it back to GameStop - they won't accept Xbox 360s with voided warranty stickers, and it's typically pretty easy to see if an Xbox 360 has been repaired.

On the flip side, I would suggest going the Arcade route and saving your HDD from your previous Xbox 360, if you're not interested in the larger HDD size. This will give you a new warranty to work with instead of getting a used one in unknown condition. Use the DRM Transfer Tool to transfer all of your licenses to the new Xbox 360 and you'll be good to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...id=0&t=1586516

$214 for an elite through overstock.com apparently. I don't know how the bing cashback works, but it might be worth a look since that would be the cost of an arcade basically.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...id=0&t=1586516

$214 for an elite through overstock.com apparently. I don't know how the bing cashback works, but it might be worth a look since that would be the cost of an arcade basically.
    I would honestly skip the Elite unless you know WITHOUT A DOUBT that it is a Jasper.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Gamestop has used ps3's at $228 now, nuff said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Gamestop has used ps3's at $228 now, nuff said.
    Already have a ps3 but my xbox 360 pile o' games is calling to me. New Halo and Madden 10 are tough to put on hold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

Can you afford an Arcade right now? That is what I would go with.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meancode View Post
    You could also sell your dead unit to GameStop for a little cash. This happened to me, my 4th unit, and I just bought an Arcade as Frankie said.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa...you're on your FOURTH Xbox 360? Maybe it's just me, but if I got the RROD once, I'd be done with the X360 (and probably any future MS systems) forever.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vivaeljason View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa...you're on your FOURTH Xbox 360? Maybe it's just me, but if I got the RROD once, I'd be done with the X360 (and probably any future MS systems) forever.
    Geeze mate... if half the 360 owners out there felt like you do, Microsoft would be out of the gaming business for good by now...

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I'm on my 6th 360.

While the ultimate value of replacing a 360 is a matter of personal preference

For me, there was just too much good stuff out and coming out to just let it go, and only once out of those 5 replacements did I ever have to spend cash to get myself a new rig.

And on the subject of this thread ... it really should be a healthy expectation that all 360 users have. - At some point, regardless of my usage habits, my 360MAY fail (in one form or another) forcing me to replace it. - It's just the way things are.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 10-08-2009 at 08:56 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

No, you did not understand me I am on my FIFTH 360. And 2 were RRoD, 2 were dead DVD drives. Besides the fact that I review games constantly, I would NOT be done with the 360, on the basis that it has the games I want to play. So regardless of the crappy hardware, it is still worth it, to me. I know others feel the same way.

I had a launch unit that RRoD, was refurbished, got back a new unit, DVD drive failed on it. It got refurbished again so when I got it back I sold it right away and used the money to buy another Pro, #3. Pro RRoD, sent in to get refurbished and then the DVD drive died and once I got it back from Microsoft I immediately sold it again, bought the Elite, #4. You know, because it was supposed to be a better chip design. The DVD drive on it failed out of warranty, and instead of paying the $100 out of warranty price I just sold it for scrap to a buddy and bought an Arcade. Now have a Jasper arcade, my fifth Xbox 360.

I also recently purchased a Japanese Jasper, so I hope to god THAT does not have problems, because there is no way to get warranty work done on it.

But if it were not for the games on the system, and Blogcritics, oh, and all the digital stuff I have purchased on the system such as Rock Band, Guitar Hero, and XBLA, I would have likely just said forget it and stick to my PS3.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Depending on how many games you have that you like, I'd say sell your 360 and get a PS3.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I like how it took only 7 posts for the PS3 people to make an appearance. Geez.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...he already has a PS3, so the point is moot. Good luck with the repair/replacement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well looks like I'm going to go repair route and see if I can get this one back up and running. I've been tinkering with electronics lately with success, repaired my old Blackberry 8100, Samsung SYNC phones and my sisters ancient boom box. My only real failure in the last few years has been with my Sega CD which to this day I cannot figure out what was wrong with it.

So I'm waiting on the bit driver to come (snagged one for 1.99 plus another 2 for the heat sink paste). Looks fairly straight forward and I have already opened up the 360 to get a feel for it (reassembled until the stuff gets here Monday/Tuesday). At this point if the fix doesn't work I'm only out $6.50 total with shipping and I'll have to buy an arcade xbox. Thanks Shadow Kisuragi for the advice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe I'm the only one, but the way you started off this post actually made me feel sad for a second.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude, you really should call back Microsoft and raise hell. If the person you speak to will not repair your console for free, tell that person you want to speak to their supervisor. Do NOT under any circumstances take no for an answer. Microsoft is fully away of the RROD problem and they NEED to be held accountable for every single 360 system that has this happen. Period. And yes it might take awhile on the phone but once you get to someone who knows their ass from their head (and not just bored "tech support" people who are really just a glorified message service) then you'll get your console repaired for free. Remember: you have games for the 360 and you plan on purchasing many more once they have fixed THEIR error and repaired your console whose failure was THEIR fault, and that Sony LOST a class action lawsuite regarding the high failure rate of the PS2, and that such a class action lawsuit is brewing regarding the 360's RROD problem.

I want to say, I love it when the PS3 people start pipping up about how you should "switch" (cuz you know, you can't have BOTH). After all, no PS3s have EVER failed or had ANY manufacturer defects or problems. EVER. And Sony hasn't shown in the past how completely unwilling they are to FIX THEIR MISTAKES until they're sued to do so. ... Do I even need to put a rolling eyes smiley here?
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got back my third RROD system. When I called in I asked for a new system, due to my frustration as a loyal customer who has bought an extra console and had 3 RROD. Well it wasn't new, a refurb. I was pissed cause my previous one returned was new, and this was an Elite so I wasnt amused to get a refurb. So I called them back, immediately escalated, didn't want front line help, got another person, a manager. I really gave him the business.

End of story, couldn't send back for a new, but they will offer a peace offering of any peripheral such as a wireles controller, Live camera, remote control etc, or a game from a selected few, not Halo though. They will not offfer MS points, I did try for that. Anyway, 2 days later I got my game delivered by Purolater. So for my displeasure and time of a call I got a new game. As you may guess, all future RROD for me will be handled the same way.