Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The definitive Twilight Princess Wii vs. Gamecube thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I played the crap out of the Wii TP, and I thought it was fantastic. The "waggle" motion became as routine as pressing a button to swing, really, and I had absolutely no problems with it. Plus they were pretty amazing for the fishing minigame, which I also played the crap out of. Maybe the wiggling was shoehorned in on the combat side of things, but I thought it worked out fine and was a bit more involving and immersive than just slapping "A".

Seriously, people deciding to not play the game because they don't want to flick their wrist around lazily instead of pushing a button lazily is pretty weaksauce.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

personally, I'm a fan of the Gamecube version. I've played both, but the Wii version just came off as clunky to me.

Then again, Twilight Hack....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    Seriously, people deciding to not play the game because they don't want to flick their wrist around lazily instead of pushing a button lazily is pretty weaksauce.
    And how's that weak? It's a preference. Why play a game with motion controls if you don't like how they work? I don't like playing Zelda: Phantom Hourglass because I don't like moving Link with a stylus. People might love it to death but I don't care-it's my time I'm using to decide to play a game. If it's not fun to me, I'm not going to force myself to plod through a control scheme I don't agree with. Simple as that.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A button still works... Hence, weaksauce.

You don't have to play anything that you don't want to, but c'mon... I could at least understand if you had no access to the A = sword swing on the Wii version. Nothing like Phantom Hourglass, which I can easily understand and somewhat agree with. Though, it's a change of pace at least. And that is welcome, until you get tired of poking around to do everything.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played the crap out of the Wii TP, and I thought it was fantastic. The "waggle" motion became as routine as pressing a button to swing, really, and I had absolutely no problems with it. Plus they were pretty amazing for the fishing minigame, which I also played the crap out of.
    I didn't notice any difference with fishing. The difference between using the gamepad and the remote is that with the first you press up on the controller and with the second you aim high on the screen. There is no need for precision aim, such as with the hawk/slingshot/etc. It's just "press up" or "aim up".

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

seeing as i play alot of my games at night as i lay in the bed the person next to me tends to not appriciate the movement of me swinging around a wiimote all night.

which is ok with me since after a day at work i just want to lay down and relax with a game and not swing a wiimote around, needless to say i preefer the cube version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    seeing as i play alot of my games at night as i lay in the bed the person next to me tends to not appriciate the movement of me swinging around a wiimote all night.

which is ok with me since after a day at work i just want to lay down and relax with a game and not swing a wiimote around, needless to say i preefer the cube version.
    I think alot of people don't realize that Twilight Princess was originally developed for the Gamecube. It was obviesly delayed to sell Wii consoles. It will always be a Gamecube game in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Game Cube version is the original, and true version of the game. I did play through the Wii version first (as it was the obvious game to buy alongside the system when it launched)...and it was the only version of Twilight Princess that I played for about 2 years. However, I finally bought and played through the GameCube version last year. I definitely prefer it over the Wii version, and I'm only holding onto the Wii version for collecting purposes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    I didn't notice any difference with fishing. The difference between using the gamepad and the remote is that with the first you press up on the controller and with the second you aim high on the screen. There is no need for precision aim, such as with the hawk/slingshot/etc. It's just "press up" or "aim up".
    No, the difference is that it feels more like fishing vs. pushing up on a controller.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got like 3 hours into Twilight Princess then stopped playing..and I don't know why? I did like it, but every time I picked it up to play, I changed my mind

I think Zelda is getting a bit stale...everything after Ocarina just seems like upgraded graphics and a diff. story. No real inspiration anymore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by awbacon View Post
    I got like 3 hours into Twilight Princess then stopped playing..and I don't know why? I did like it, but every time I picked it up to play, I changed my mind
    I had the same feeling as you. I am only a few hours into the game and I am having doubts.

I had a lot of fun running around the town doing the beginning quests. The wolf part wasn't any fun since it just felt like a tutorial. I am running around while Midna is telling me exactly what to do. I still don't see the skill, or fun, in running around until I see Midna's icon light up so I know to press a button which will magically allow me to jump great heights without fail.

I just now reached the moment when you turn back into a person (somehow magically wearing Link's costume as well), so hopefully the game starts allowing me to play the game, instead of just controlling a wolf through one long cut-scene.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, the difference is that it feels more like fishing vs. pushing up on a controller.
    I guess I would care if the motion controls allowed some variance in fishing. As it is, it is just like combat. The motion controls have no effect on the final result, they are just a strict replacement for pushing a control stick.

The motion controls allow you to move the line around while in the water, but it has zero effect on the result. Sure, I may be moving my arm in a similar fashion to holding a stick, but how I move my arm has zero effect on the result. I just move my arm up at the same time I would move a control stick up. There is no gameplay difference between the two.

I think fishing is the worst example of motion controls in this game. I can understand aimed attacks, but fishing needs no aim or precision or even movement. It just needs something to trigger putting the line in the water and something to trigger pulling it out. It should have just used the nunchuck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    I can understand aimed attacks, but fishing needs no aim or precision or even movement.
    Fishing would need aim/precision, if they'd made a better fishing minigame.