Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I get my Genesis modded for s-video/composite output?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Where can I get my Genesis modded for s-video/composite output?

I don't know how to do it myself.

Also:

I have a model 1 High Definition Graphics model 1 Genesis (non-TMSS) and it has an annoying buzzing sound in the background in all my games, whereas my later model 1's (non-HDG, TMSS, VA6/VA7) don't have the buzzing. Is there a way to fix it?
    Last edited by PSony; 10-10-2009 at 11:47 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EDIT: I now recommend using the schematic posted by PC-Engine Hell, see later posts for details

I used the tutorial from
    http://www-unix.ecs.umass.edu/~dhowland/mod/
    and it worked out well.

I built a couple of extra S-Video amplifier circuits since the components were so inexpensive. Let me know if you want one.
    Last edited by NCrouther; 10-24-2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: updating my recommendation

Insert Coin (Level 0) b1aCkDeA7h's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you trying to mod a model 1 or a model 2?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

model 1

I meant if I could send the system to somebody and have them mod it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Search the buy/sell forum, I have seen several threads for people who offer modding services.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one for sale on ebay right now, has a couple of days left if you want to check my auction thread. I also have this info up on my site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~amakusa666/...CX1145-MOD.htm

It works for I think about any system using the CXA1145 (Master System, X'eye, Genesis 1, and some models of Genesis 2, ect).

I believe the method I have listed is basically the one being used currently by a lot of people as of late. My understanding is they even ran a slightly different (resistor value wise) version of the mod I use up against the NeoGeo Mega Mod/old style one NCrouther posted about on some forums and it smoked the old one visual quality wise easily. I think this thread discusses the comparing of the it versus the Mega mod a little if you want to look:
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201758

If you want more examples to see how well it looks, the method I linked to on my site I mean, just watch the video I have up on my youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVg9Ix3Iw6M

Id be willing to do the mod, along with a region mod and stereo sound for you, but it will cost you some parts and labor cost, plus shipping expenses. It may be a lot cheaper on you if you can do the mod yourself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Found a s-video/composite av/region switch/50hz-60hz modded model 1 for $30.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats a sweet deal depending on which s-video mod was used. Whoever sold it at that def took a loss at that price either way. Where did you nab it at if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another user here. He has two of them.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I bought mine on E-bay. They don't appear too often, but it's worth the wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He def let it go for a nice price. Hope you enjoy it.
    Last edited by PC-ENGINE HELL; 10-13-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting... I didn't know that there are multiple designs floating around. I'll have to breadboard out the newer version and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

Woah PC-ENGINE HELL.. Nice straight through write up on it buddy!
    800,2600,5200,7800,C64,Intellivision,NES1+2,NEX,SM S 1+2,GENNY1-3,CDi,SEGA CD1+2,SNES1+2,TG16,VB,N64(Reg,blue,green),Saturn1+ 2,PS,PSone w/LCD,PS2,Xbox,NGPC,GG,GB,GBC,GBA,GBA SP,Game.com,WonderSwan,Lynx I+II,3D0fz1+10,PICO,Nomad,GP32,DC(reg+sport),GC (2of3),SuperFamicom,MVS, Neo Geo CD,Super Compact+Futbal edition,PSP,360,Wii,DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can also go on here if you want to see more compare pics between the old methods picture quality and the newer ones.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/genesismods.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

that is a really awesome site. Ive been looking around for awhile on how to power my sega cd and system with 1 power supply thanks!
    800,2600,5200,7800,C64,Intellivision,NES1+2,NEX,SM S 1+2,GENNY1-3,CDi,SEGA CD1+2,SNES1+2,TG16,VB,N64(Reg,blue,green),Saturn1+ 2,PS,PSone w/LCD,PS2,Xbox,NGPC,GG,GB,GBC,GBA,GBA SP,Game.com,WonderSwan,Lynx I+II,3D0fz1+10,PICO,Nomad,GP32,DC(reg+sport),GC (2of3),SuperFamicom,MVS, Neo Geo CD,Super Compact+Futbal edition,PSP,360,Wii,DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good deal, yea on that s-vid mod I guess a few others had been working on it the same time about that I was, which was great because the old mod honestly is garbage quality wise compared to the new one.

Insert Coin (Level 0) b1aCkDeA7h's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The mod to the proper Sony chipped model 2's is ridiculously easy to do and the results are almost like night and day.

The only interesting thing I noticed after the mod was that designers intentionally used the composite output to produce effects like shadows using the inferior picture quality. The newfound clarity actually draws this out which looked weird in some games unless I actually switched back to composite to see what the GFX were supposed to be.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried this alternate schematic and couldn't discern a difference. Perhaps the results of each style depend on the version of the video encoder. In the absence of any proof of inferiority, I would recommend using the new style mod since it is much simpler.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've use the "old" schematic probably 30+ times - on a variety of TVs, monitors, and PC video input devices - and I've never seen the quality issues present in those screenshots. That's not to say it's better than the new circuit, I'm all about saving parts costs and time if the new version works just as well.

On a related note, anybody considering either of these mods should try using 2SC1815 transistors instead of NTE85. The NTE part is a replacement for the 1815, and like most other NTE parts, is much more expensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only time I have seen the older style mods done was on Neo AES and Master System via screen caps, and I wasn't happy with the results shown as I saw similar issues present too, color seemed a tad off. That was a far while back though, when I was building Superguns. I was never interested in modding either system for s-video for myself, and didn't know anyone who wanted it done friend wise. I know most I talked to on forums about the image problems were fed up with the old mod after a bit and had installed Neobitz encoders to get better quality.

Genesis wise the only people I know who wanted s-video on Genesis was for Genesis 3 decks (loved modding those). In regards again to the older mod, as of late Ive seen others complain a bit too. Mainly about some quality issues and the older mod requiring too many parts, which had got me interested in the whole affair. It basically got me to do that newer one on my X'eye and a few spare decks and toss a small how to up on my site.

It is very possible the people behind the examples I have seen were not doing the older one correctly, but I have doubt in that, as they seemed to know their stuff quite well. In the end though, as mentioned, less parts = a cheaper, quicker mod. You could try to reach that guy Xian Xi on the Neo forums, maybe compare some screen caps of the games he used with your own of the same game, and take pics of the part builds, see if maybe he put something together wrong on the old method. His problem he posted was pretty spot on to what I saw in other pics people showed me.
    Last edited by PC-ENGINE HELL; 10-26-2009 at 12:19 PM.