Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent finds -please tell me what they are...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Recent finds -please tell me what they are...

First off, thank you so much for your help as I am brand new to import collecting. I know this is a long topic with lots of questions, so I hope I'm not abusing this forum. Also, sorry about the crappy pictures...if you want to see something clearer, let me know.

Went to a huge flea market in taiwan. Didn't expect to find atari 2600 games there, but there were some. I bought these four...then found out that many sellers were selling bootleg stuff. I looked up "I want my mommy" and "space tunnel" and they are real, (the former, not a bad find) but I'm suspicious about the lower left one as the text is all in Chinese. Did they make Chinese 2600 games? Bootleg? Others were also selling these "Chinese" 2600 games. They mostly seemed to be 4 in 1 games and the like. And what is that one on the upper right? No label and a switch in the middle...bootleg or something awesome? (I don't have an atari now to check them on right now)

Here is the picture of the rest of the stuff those people had where I got the atari games...I'm guessing most stuff on the far right is famicom stuff...plus some genesis and super famicom carts on the left. But what are those large atari-like cartridges on the middle-right? Too big to be 2600 games. All of their text is Chinese. No Japanese or English.

Is there a way to spot a fake famicom game? Some of them seemed to be fake as the lables were not so clear (slightly pixilated or blurry) but maybe they just used to use lables like that...Do all famicom games have to have a white japanese label with text on the back...those seemed to be the legit ones...

The three "atari-like" cartridges I ended up buying just for fun. All of the text is Chinese.

Plus a picture of a big load of stuff that came in a bag before I realised there were bootlegs there. What are those "Crystball" and "Popo" ones on top? I'm wondering...do all gameboy games have to say "Nintendo Gameboy" at the top, cause some just say "GAME" I'm assuming those are the bootlegs. Also, one Gamegear says "SEGA" on bottom and the other says "GAME"

I know some of them are PC Engine games, but what are those smaller cards and the carts on the bottom?

Lastly, picked up some FC and SFC stuff...probably really common stuff, but who knows...

Thanks so much!
    Last edited by ebenezer; 10-11-2009 at 05:57 AM.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

The Game Boy and Game Gear games that say "GAME" and not "SEGA" or "Nintendo Game Boy" are pirates.

The last two cartridges in the last pictures are Famicom carts I believe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those are Sega Saturn Ram carts used for certain games.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Crystball and Popo Team are SuperVision games. Also, there's a Neo Geo Pocket Color game next to Crystball. Finally, I think the smaller card-based games might be either SG-1000 or Master System games
    Last edited by mobiusclimber; 10-11-2009 at 11:00 AM.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That "Boy's Soccer Team III" MD pirate also uses the same artwork as the NES game "Ultimate League Soccer." Very cool. I wonder if it's a port of the same game, or just a lazy pirate technique.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

... WTF? Is that a genuine Kid Dracula I see? o_O

The SS Ram Card is most likely a Chinese knockoff Saturn RAM card. Certain Japanese games had an option to use the card to make the game look better by loading more graphics into it. Capcom and SNK made good use of it. The other one is a KOF '95 RAM card which is required for the game to run, as it has graphics data stored in it.

Just how much money did you spend on all this? That's an awesome haul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The second picture, the one with all the Famicom carts, Genesis/Mega Drive games, and CDs... down at the bottom is a wide green cartridge with a couple of switches on front. What system does that one go to? It looks to be the length of a VIC-20 cart, but it's probably for something else. Anyone have a guess?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

That looks like a Famicom cart to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, thanks for the info...

Everything turned about to be about $1 to $1.20 each, so I got about 40 games that weren't bootlegs. I only realised 15 or so were bootlegs after I bought them...so, trying to decide if I wasted that money or if bootlegs are somehow interesting enough to collect???

Actually, the Kid Dracula's game cartridge looks real, but the (slightly blurry/pixilated) label has been put over another label it seems...some kind of donor cart used to make it probably?

Still hoping someone knows what those "Chinese" oversize "atari" looking carts are. (the three in the third picture)

Also, I'm getting more and more excited about that Atari 2600 cart with the switch on the back. The texture and size are exactly like the genuine atari games, rather than the smooth plastic of the Chinese one. I've heard about prototypes that have such a switch...I'll have to wait till Christmas when I come back to the States to test it though since no Atari system here.

Plus, I just remembered they had a atari 2600 looking cart with a Mario label--NES version Mario which wasn't released yet...I wonder if some of those "fake" 2600 games would be cool to play or even unique atari games that were made by the bootleg companies themselves...or would they even work on a 2600? Maybe they were made for a "fake" system too. Either way, they seem interesting enough.
    Last edited by ebenezer; 10-12-2009 at 04:22 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oh yeah, i did buy that green famicom cart with the switches...its the same size as a famicom game. Thats why I was curious about fake famicom games, because this one and some others she had looks fake. If you want a better picture let me know.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a buddy who collects Famicom pirates. I'll direct him here when I see him.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That snes game "live a live" is worth 20-30

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Those "oversized Atari games" are Sega SG-1000 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Those "oversized Atari games" are Sega SG-1000 games.
    Or Mark III/Master System games. The Japanese Master System carts look just like that, as do the SG-1000 carts.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me know if you're looking to trade/sell any of the pirates. I'd be interested.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Money Maze, and the similar looking little card game, are for Gamate. But could we get a close-up of the upper right game in that same photo?

Also, do you only have three of the Atari-like games? If so, what are the skinner-but-taller carts (second row from the right, starting at the bottom) in the second pic, with all the Fami carts, etc. Could we get a shot of a couple of them closer up?
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the upper right game is for some kind of E-book I think (at least the Chinese on it says "electronic book") I'll get a better pic up tomorrow...

The skinner-but-taller carts are actually the same as the three in the third picture. SG-1000/Mark III/Master System or whatever they are. Must be all bootlegs unless they made official ones with traditional Chinese labels specifically for Taiwan.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ebenezer View Post
    Went to a huge flea market in taiwan. Didn't expect to find atari 2600 games there, but there were some. I bought these four...then found out that many sellers were selling bootleg stuff. I looked up "I want my mommy" and "space tunnel" and they are real, (the former, not a bad find) but I'm suspicious about the lower left one as the text is all in Chinese. Did they make Chinese 2600 games? Bootleg? Others were also selling these "Chinese" 2600 games. They mostly seemed to be 4 in 1 games and the like. And what is that one on the upper right? No label and a switch in the middle...bootleg or something awesome? (I don't have an atari now to check them on right now)
    Okay, first of all the game with the Chinese text is probably a bootleg game. Most of those Atari games that look like that with English text were actually made in Taiwan and sold cheaply in the U.S. witout the proper liscensing. I think that a few of these Taiwan-made games actually have original games on them.

Check it:
    http://www.atariage.com/software_pag...reLabelID=2370

Strangely enough, Atariage says these particular games (with that cartridge shape) actually originate from Europe

As for the game with the switch, I dunno. I seem to recall something about a bootleg type game with that feature but I can't remember what, considering how bad my memory is that game might be something other than a bootleg. Though, I'll say that my money's on the possibility of it being some sort of Chinese multicart like what you see with the 999-in-1 or whatever NES/Famicom/Famiclone games.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I asked my Chinese friend what the words on those "oversided atari" carts were (what a novel idea). They turned out to be weird carts that add Chinese subtitles to "lazer-disc" movies, probably normal DVDs but can't imagine what DVD player would have a slot for them. go figure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

There is such a thing as laserdisc, but I didn't think it had much traction in the region beyond Hong Kong. Still, I suppose, more likely LD than something like VCD - where it would be much easier for the pirates just to add subs on-disc. They look much too old to me to be for DVDs.