Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games that you artificially shorten?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Games that you artificially shorten?

Are there any games that you artificially shorten? That you pretend are shorter than they actually are? Either because the games get too hard or they just aren't enjoyable past a certain point?

Mine is R-Type. As far as I'm concerned, the game only has four stages. Stage four, the last stage, is a real bitch and the final boss (that large three part ship) is an ass. I find the rest of the game difficult to the point of unplayable. If I can beat stage four, I've won

Does anyone else do this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All the time! I used to consider getting decently far in Contra without using the 30 lives code an accomplishment, and that's certainly not the only game where I've felt that way.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Adventures Of Link is probably my least favorite NES game of all time and not because it was a change from LOZ, it's because of how impossibly hard it can get not even half way through. One time I attempted to beat the game in one sitting (or at least play the game as long as possible), needless to say it didn't end very well.

Basically, if I can get up to/past the 4th palace without throwing my controller across the room, I've reached my goal and Zelda is left to fend for herself.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

Even though the game is extremely easy, I like it because it's got a nicely done level design. However, once I get to the point where you can go to the inverted castle, I usually kill Richter instead of the orb that is controlling him. I still do beat the game though even though it's the bad ending.

Why? The inverted castle is just a generic way to increase the games time. It's not even designed to be fun to go through. Most of the areas you can't reach by doing a double jump so you're forced to go and turn into a bat because the jump is just short enough to where you can't make it. If you do a high jump you'll just be damaged by the enemy they place there. It's an annoyance and it's not hard.

It's really too bad because the inverted castle has some pretty cool bosses.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can imagine doing this in Ar Tonelico since the game kinda gives you the option of how long you want to play it for. I didn't tho (since it's my first playthru) but likely will later on when I replay it for the other endings. And of course there's Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, but you have to play the games all the way through first.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by vivaeljason View Post
    All the time! I used to consider getting decently far in Contra without using the 30 lives code an accomplishment, and that's certainly not the only game where I've felt that way.
    I played Contra for the first time yesterday and I have to say, the first level has kicked my ass countless times already.

IT'S HARD!
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me the original Driver on PS1 ended in the parking garage....right where it started.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Usually, if I can't get far in a game or don't feel like playing anymore, I just consider it incomplete. I've done this on way too many games x_x
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    I played Contra for the first time yesterday and I have to say, the first level has kicked my ass countless times already.

IT'S HARD!
    First level? Wait until you get to those upward levels. Hoo boy are THOSE hard.

Spread shot is just boss in that game though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Mine is R-Type. As far as I'm concerned, the game only has four stages. Stage four, the last stage, is a real bitch and the final boss (that large three part ship) is an ass. I find the rest of the game difficult to the point of unplayable. If I can beat stage four, I've won
    Any shooter, if I can get a better score than my previous, I've won (well, not quite, but done better). Score is the major way to play that genre - you could feed the credits in or just play some terrible console style shmup or whatever but that's not so fun (or as time efficient, by which I mean being able to win or lose in 5 minutes and then start it all over again).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While this might be stretching it, I always have to resort to cheats when playing through any modern GTA game due to the extreme increase in difficulty about halfway through the games. I literally have to resort to this due to GTA's terrible concept of no mid-mission checkpoints, which means you have to do everything perfectly on the first run, or else you have to replay it from the beginning.

Another game I "artificially shortened" is Ninja Gaiden Black. I can never get past the first level or two. The game ended for me after being beaten by the first boss a hundred times. There's no way I have the patience to play this game if all it's going to do is punish me for trying to play it.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I haven't actually beat it yet but I use the warps in Super Mario Bros.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ninja Gaiden ends at Jaquio for me. (Though I have finished Ninja Gaiden a couple times) Even Jashin (the final boss) is easier than Jaquio. His pattern is too difficult for me to keep up with, and if you die you fall out of the tower and you get sent back to stage 6-1! At that point I'm too fatigued to pick up the fight and try again, stage 6-2 by itself is so frustrating the dread of doing it over again every time Jaquio wears me down just makes me turn the power off and say "Maybe next time."

Needless to say, I suck at the last few stages of Ninja Gaiden. I can get there in one life, but I don't have enough experience to play it well enough at the end.

I know, I ought to practice, but... bah.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

In my world, Ikaruga has three levels. I'd love to see the ending on it but I've all but given up.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Insert Coin (Level 0) The Old School Gamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one game that comes to mind for me was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES. It was one of the few games I owned, and I liked it, but as far as I was concerned the game ended in the second level before you swim around and disarm the bombs in the water. The swimming part was frustrating beyond belief with its killer seaweed and crappy controls. When did make it to level 3 I found myself lost in the maze of a city with half dead turtles and no chance of survival. So I'd just goof around in the first 2 levels and then turn the game off, for me it wasn't worth the aggravation.

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me, Mafat Conspiracy ends in the pseudo 3D Maze

and Fester's Quest ends in the sewers. Always. The frogs were your boss, and the sewer were your post traumatic credits

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
    In my world, Ikaruga has three levels. I'd love to see the ending on it but I've all but given up.
    I finally saw it a few weeks ago. Trust me, it's not worth the frustration.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, if I get to the final four in any Pokemon game, I've beaten it.
    I've played every one of these, and it's always the same story.
    I always get there too quickly, and by the time I get there, my pokemon are too low level.
    If I even wanted to stand a chance, I'd have to go back and grind them all up like 10 levels.
    I'm certainly not going to do that.
    So when I get there, I'm done

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

Even though the game is extremely easy, I like it because it's got a nicely done level design. However, once I get to the point where you can go to the inverted castle, I usually kill Richter instead of the orb that is controlling him. I still do beat the game though even though it's the bad ending.

Why? The inverted castle is just a generic way to increase the games time. It's not even designed to be fun to go through. Most of the areas you can't reach by doing a double jump so you're forced to go and turn into a bat because the jump is just short enough to where you can't make it. If you do a high jump you'll just be damaged by the enemy they place there. It's an annoyance and it's not hard.

It's really too bad because the inverted castle has some pretty cool bosses.
    I disagree. I think the inverted castle was just as fun, if not more, than the first castle.

Then again I am a crazy, gotta complete 200% of the map type of SOTN player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Double Dragon III on the Nes ends in the room it starts in. This game is very hard. For me? Once I did use the game genie to see some more of the game. Kinda practice to see what is actually ask of someone playing. Sence then the game still ends in the first room. It sucks becuase I enjoy the other 2 alot.
    In yo face!