Thread: Plugging an import system into us outlet

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Plugging an import system into us outlet

Is there any thing that I need to know before plugging import system from Japan in US outlet? How long can I leave the system plug in for?
    Last edited by percy10; 10-13-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SAV2880

Just do a triple-check that the voltages are the same (110V) ... as long as they are, you should be okay. I've never seen an issue before plugging in import decks, but anytime it involves stuff outside of North America, check those voltages.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Shirokuma's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have quite a few japanese systems, and i can assure you i've never had any problems. my american psp worked in japan, and my japanese psp works in america. my PSX (japanese ps2 w/hd) works fine.

to my knowledge, you really only have to worry about European, and Australian imports...but don't quote me on that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SAV2880 View Post
    Just do a triple-check that the voltages are the same (110V) ... as long as they are, you should be okay. I've never seen an issue before plugging in import decks, but anytime it involves stuff outside of North America, check those voltages.
    They won't be the same - Japan is 100V, not 110. It's close enough that it doesn't really matter, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, Japanese electronics will work in American outlets. The power adaptor, if it is old, may heat up a bit more than normal, but it won't hurt anything. Most modern power supplies can handle a whole range of voltages and both commonly used frequencies (50hz and 60hz).
    Lurking since '05

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by percy10 View Post
    Is there any thing that I need to know before plugging import system from Japan in US outlet? How long can I leave the system plug in for?
    Yeah I've sent countless Japanese systems to America and nobody has ever had a problem. Anyone who says differently is probably just making it up.

Also, America says 110v but the power grid varies a lot more than other countries so it usually ranges from 100v to 115v in some places.
    My Import Game Store: Rising Stuff
    Famicom, Super Famicom, Famicom Disk System, Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, Playdia, Wonderswan, and a lot more!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Never worried about it, never had a problem, and I keep my PC Engine and Japanese PS2 plugged in all the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

I can concur. There is absolutely no problem using Japanese electronics in North American electrical outlets.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a JPN Neo Geo CD, Neo Geo AES, Saturn, and PC Engine all plugged into my US power outlets (through a surge protector) with absolutely ZERO issues. The Neo Geo CD has been plugged in for almost a year...perfectly

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

You can always check on the adapter if it's an external AC brick or the sticker on the box.

Both will have a list of compatible input ranges (100-240AC, 50-60hz). Most electronics from the past couple years are designed to be compatible with both 110 and 220.

Insert Coin (Level 0) SuperFamicom83's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I beg to differ. I had a japanese Saturn when I first started importing and the thing got fried. Especially if you live in an older house there can be power spikes....I always run my system through a 100V converter no matter what now, better safe than sorry!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'd imagine power spikes would hurt Japanese and US systems alike. It's always wise to plug all systems into a surge protector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I'll go ahead and ask... I got a Japanese Duo-R, back in the States now, and even though the voltages and everything don't quite match up, it should work out fine?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I highly suggest you get a voltage convertor, better be safe than sorry. Ive had systems fry up, most people that dont have their systems burn out are more or less lucky. Also, in general its not good for the system to be running hotter than it should, whether it burns out or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFamicom83 View Post
    I highly suggest you get a voltage convertor, better be safe than sorry. Ive had systems fry up, most people that dont have their systems burn out are more or less lucky. Also, in general its not good for the system to be running hotter than it should, whether it burns out or not.
    As has been said, a voltage converter isn't going to save you from power spikes in an old house. Get a surge protector. IF it really is running hot, then sure... try a converter.

I ran a Japanese Saturn in Canada (same system as the US) for about 5 years before moving to Japan. No problems at all. Ran at a normal temperature.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFamicom83 View Post
    most people that dont have their systems burn out are more or less lucky.
    Is it really luck when the odds of having a system fried is so slim? And when most, if not all, of those rare cases are likely attributed to power spikes that would fry US systems too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Either way I could care less, I know my systems will never burn up again cause they are being run through a surge protector and a voltage convertor. You guys can do whatever you want, I had a bad experience and Im making sure I never will again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

To be absolutely sure...well, use a US adaptor if possible (of course the "is my US adapter useful on my import system" a perennial and an easy cause of damage if you mess up), turn off your strip when not in use (and unplug during storms obviously), and finally get a 110V -> 120V transformer for anything really expensive that you use often or can't replace. They're really not that expensive - $70 or so will get you a transformer for well over 500W, that's enough to run a decent sized computer and monitor on. $30 should get a transformer that works fine for just an import console, with extra load capacity.

But yeah, I've not had any trouble related to current so far. Then again, I haven't had any consoles get hit by lightning. What's possibly likely to damage my consoles is plugging and unplugging the actual systems all the time - although that's just the cable, which thankfully is usually replacable.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All linear wall warts (the ones with only a transformer in them) will work fine from Japan to the US and back. They are designed with a 15% tolerance. Switching supplies (they feel lighter) will work, but MAY run the risk of burning up, depending on how well the supply was designed. Almost none of the classic consoles use a switcher.

Only a surge protector will protect against spikes, or else a whole house isolation transformer....