Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hokuto Musou

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Hokuto Musou

I hate the Dynasty Warriors series. It wasn't ever a good series but I didn't start bashing it alot until they made a Gundam Musou. The original Mobile Suit Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam Stardust Memory, Evangelion, and Fist of the North Star are my favorite anime series. And Koei just fucked Gundam with their usual shitty mash the same button repeatedly(square,) then hit triangle. TWICE. The game sucked so badly I played the demo and stopped it midway I was bored as hell. I gave it a chance because it was Gundam.

Now a few days ago there was a Koei teaser with Yuria falling off the edge of a building and then the seven scars(big dipper.)

Then as it was obvious. Koei released screens for Hokuto no Ken Musou. Now it's obvious that we're not going to get the game here because they'd have to jump through a ton of hoops to get the Fist of the North Star rights, but it doesn't matter. Why bring your shitty gameplay to Gundam now to Fist of the North Star? Keep it where it belongs(based off Chinese and Japanese literature, either Dynasty Warriors or Samurai Warriors.)

Anyways. Yeah. Atleast it looks true to the series. Would be better if it played like God Hand which would be a perfect representation.

Go to Siliconera to look at pictures.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/10/13...loding-bodies/
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-15-2009 at 03:21 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yeah... I never cared for the Dynasty Warriors series either. Although I loved the metal soundtrack even if it didn't fit the game. It's amazing that they made like 80 billion installments and it just keeps going.

I'll admit that as bad as the Gundam games get trashed, I really like the ones on the Saturn and PS2. But yeah... The Dynasty Warriors gameplay did nothing but ruin the current gen installments.

Here's hoping the best for Fist!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Shirokuma's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

speak for yourself man. i'm a big Koei fan, and i love the Musou series.

i just imported Musou Orochi Z for PS3 since it's not coming out here, and i enjoy the heck out of it. game play is fluid, combos flow, and the roster is insane.

i actually like the two Gundam Musou games. my only gripe about the second one (well, okay, there are two):
    1) - no japanese voices option
    2) - where are the other Wing pilots? i want me some Heavyarms man.

i'm personally not really into Fist of the North star, but i'm curious to see what Koei would do with it. if it looks good, i'd import it.

what they need to do is release a multiplayer Nobunaga no Yabou here...like ROTK8 was. that was awesome to play with other people.

now that i think about it, i'd like to see a Guyver Musou game. no one has made a Guyver game yet, and the only way i could see it working was musou style. mmm...how awesome would a level-3 mega-smasher be combined by Shou and Agito. sweet!

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm with you on this one - I'm a huge Koei fan, as are quite a few people I know. 3MM people in Japan can't be wrong.

Dynasty Warriors 6 changed up the combat mechanics for the better, moving away from the same button-mashing combos somewhat. It also added different gameplay mechanics as well, and is a great step in the right direction for the franchise.

Also, these games are giving Koei the opportunity to try out new locations, story mechanics, and gameplay mechanics that they would not normally explore. This can only improve the Musou franchise as a whole.

I agree that Fist of the North Star may not fit in with this style of gameplay, but I'm still interested in seeing it in action.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If you're upset about the quality of anime games, don't those franchises have worse games to complain about? At least the Musou games have some semblance of gameplay.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are we talking about Dynasty Warriors: Gundam? I got that game for $5 at Sears and thought it was quite enjoyable. Keep in mind that I'm not too big of a fan of the anime and I really hadn't played a Dynasty Warriors game before.

(I actually love Koei because they brought us Gitaroo Man!!!)
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I'm sold. I'm sort of "meh" on the Dynasty Warriors series in general, but for what may be the first time ever, the license alone has sold me on this.

Also of note, for anyone looking to see what all the fuss is about, the entire subbed series is available for streaming on Hulu. If anyone's interested in getting a superior version of the series without commercial interruption, shoot me a PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

This game looks badass what are you talking about

ATATATATATATATATAA

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both Gundam and Hokuto have had SIGNIFICANTLY worse licensed games than even the "worst" Musou/Warriors title, and many of those sold high numbers on the brand name alone. I don't see how the heck you could be crying at this like it's some shark-jumping moment.

As for how the gameplay fits... the only really questionable thing would be the use of weapons, which most of the major characters didn't do. Otherwise, I can imagine Kenshiro running around in a DW-style map and laying waste to thousands of "Peasants" everywhere - bonus points if their heads explode in a mess of white fluids. It'd actually fit fairly well.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand how one Dynasty Warriors game can be WORSE than any other considering they're all pretty much the same damn thing. I'm not saying the gameplay is terrible (tho it IS repetitive) but how many games can you make with the same exact gameplay based around the same thing? Simply sprite-swapping in gundams or other anime characters isn't going to fix the main problem of "watch some story bits, run into large group of enemies and mash a button over and over, run further to find more groups of enemies, rinse and repeat." I found this boring after ten minutes of gameplay in ONE GAME yet they somehow stretched it into twenty billion games? Seriously, WTF?!
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

I think the marriage of Hotuko no Ken and Dynasty Warriors will work wonderfully...infact it'll probably seem more "realistic" than standard DW / SW games... at least with this one there will be a valid reason for the 100 guys that are surrounding you to be too scared to start swinging.

Insta-mega purchase for me, but then again I have a complete Musou set of games so I'd buy it no matter what.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Well. It's coming out for the US.

Maybe with this game coming to the US we might have a chance of seeing the PS2 Hoktuo no Ken fighter. Or maybe an updated version of Hokuto no Ken for PS360 with online support .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It's being released in Japan on March 25. I'm curious as to whether it's going to follow the original storyline and feel like watching the show or just go through areas killing people and then bosses appearing that are in order of the ones Ken fights from the show, but no story bits added.

Does anyone here import and read Japanese?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

I figure if I can handle N3 for longer then 3 hours, I can handle this as well. I cant picture it as every game I've played based on Fist has been either a 1vs1 fighter or a side scrolling game, but reguardless I'll give it a chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Half Japanese View Post
    I'm sold. I'm sort of "meh" on the Dynasty Warriors series in general, but for what may be the first time ever, the license alone has sold me on this.

Also of note, for anyone looking to see what all the fuss is about, the entire subbed series is available for streaming on Hulu. If anyone's interested in getting a superior version of the series without commercial interruption, shoot me a PM.
    Better yet, just buy or rent the recently released Fist of the North Star movie on DVD. It boils down the frequently tedious TV show to its most important elements: exploding heads and ridiculous melodrama.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris View Post
    Better yet, just buy or rent the recently released Fist of the North Star movie on DVD. It boils down the frequently tedious TV show to its most important elements: exploding heads and ridiculous melodrama.
    The movie is a reenvisionment of the series. Infact, it's more like a reenivisionment of the first chapter, but also including Rei, Jagi, and Raoh. Stuff was changed like Raoh killing Shin, Rei and Jagi being introduced before Shin was even dead, and Jagi also being killed before Shin was dead.

The Jagi vs Kenshiro fight in the movie is almost exactly the same as the one from the series though, which is pretty cool. The Raoh battle is similar, but in the movie it had Raoh showing mercy on Ken after winning, where in the series Ken wins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It's been quite awhile since the PAL version was announced. Thankfully it was able to get licensed over there because the licensing issues with FotNS over here is bs. I'd like to atleast get a NTSC version in English if I could.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*yawn*

If you don't like it...don't buy it. I rather enjoy the Musou games myself....they're mindless fun, like midget prostitutes molesting camels.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

A review over at 1up. After reading this review I'll wait until we see quite a few more.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9025316

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I hate the Dynasty Warriors series. It wasn't ever a good series but I didn't start bashing it alot until they made a Gundam Musou. The original Mobile Suit Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam Stardust Memory, Evangelion, and Fist of the North Star are my favorite anime series. And Koei just fucked Gundam with their usual shitty mash the same button repeatedly(square,) then hit triangle. TWICE. The game sucked so badly I played the demo and stopped it midway I was bored as hell. I gave it a chance because it was Gundam.
    I hate Dynasty Warriors as well, but I bought Musou 2 for PS2 after playing the 360 version with a buddy of mine. I love it. Though all the grunt units are UC, it would have been nice for some variety, like Leos and Tauruses from Wing, or Dark Army units from G. Also pisses me off that Gundam X was not featured at all, as it's my favorite Gundam series. Oh well. Domon owns all anyway.

But yeah, with the exception of Gundam Musou, the Dynasty Warriors series is trash.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose