Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Nintendo Handheld To Be Powered By NVIDIA's Tegra Chipset [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Next Nintendo Handheld To Be Powered By NVIDIA's Tegra Chipset [Slashdot]

Vigile writes "When you sell over 100 million handheld gaming systems, everyone wants to be involved in your success; just ask Nintendo. As a company with many different obstacles in its path, NVIDIA could definitely use the boost in revenues that would come from partnering with a company like Nintendo on a handheld system, and it looks like the Tegra processor will make that happen. The NVIDIA Tegra processor is an SoC that runs a set of ARM cores, a GeForce-based graphics core and an HD video processor capable of 1080p output that would definitely give the current Nintendo DS/DSi systems a performance boost in line with the Sony PSP. The 'Nintendo TS,' as it has been dubbed, will apparently be ready for a late winter 2010 release and should put a spark in the mobile gaming market and give Nintendo's developers the power to bring higher quality games to the platform."
    Read more of this story at Slashdot.
    </img>
    </img>

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

1080p handheld gaming system lol
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That sounds promising, but I don't know if anything could get me to buy another Nintendo system.
    I figured MS would be the one to release a Tegra handheld, since they already use the platform for the Zune HD.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Umm, let's wait for Nintendo to make a console that outputs over 480p first.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nvidias becoming bullshit anymore in the Pc market for the AMD consumer. Intel is about to fight it out with them too over prior chipset manufacturing deals which is going to cause them some real problems, so I can see why they would want to land a deal with Nintendo and branch out more. They found out after disabling Geforce/Ageia Physx from working with ATI hardware that no ones willing to ditch their ATI hardware just to use it. Their spin over that situation has failed horribly with consumers too, but Nvidias always been a company that's too stubborn to really admit they screwed up (Geforce FX line anyone).To me they have not presented a really strong product since the 6800 line, so I'm just like whatever with them anymore. Still not a fan of what they did to 3DFX after that purchase either.... Id hate to see them go under though. Every 4 years or so they tend to release a really ground breaking product. Bitterly, heres to their health.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wait, Winter 2010? That doesn't seem likely. Seems like if Nintendo was going to release a new handheld that soon, they would have already at least talked about it this year.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Word of the DS hit almost exactly a year before it's launch, and winter 2010 extends into early 2011 as well. So plenty of time for those 12 months even if we don't hear anything in the next few weeks or months.

Also, the statement "ready for release" doesn't mean it will be released at that time. It just means hardware development has concluded and the design is finalized, nothing more.

Plus, I don't see any reason why they'd announce anything during their busiest time of year for DS sales. Would make more sense to announce it next spring.

I personally can't wait, the DS is looking pretty aged at the moment and there isn't much exciting development occurring on it in recent months or in the pipeline. I'm ready for a replacement.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-14-2009 at 08:07 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I doubt we'll see much of anything until DS game and hardware sales slow down a bit... hell, they pushed back the GBA because the Gameboy Color was kicking so much ass, so it'll probably be a couple of years until we see a true successor to the DS.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Nintendo will wait -- remember, Silicon Graphics were being bandied about when Nintendo 64/Ultra 64 was being talked about.

Nintendo TS will stick but it will be with someone else, I think it'll be Intel or another manufacturer.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

And then I bet they'll release exclusive games for this system...pissing off at least one gamer >_> .
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    And then I bet they'll release exclusive games for this system...pissing off kupomogli >_> .
    Lol. Fixed.
    (This is completely unrelated, Scooter, but I also went and saw Plan 9 and got those avatars.)
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chicnstu View Post
    Wait, Winter 2010? That doesn't seem likely. Seems like if Nintendo was going to release a new handheld that soon, they would have already at least talked about it this year.
    I dunno about that. In the years since the DS released, Nintendo has been announcing new games fairly close to their release dates. I wouldn't be surprised to see that strategy to spill onto the hardware side of things.

Semi Noob Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geezuzkane
    PSN
    Geezuzkhrist119
    Steam
    Geezuzkane

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    i agree. a console would be the best choice for a 1080p system.

what does TS stand for? triple screen?
    Twitter - GEEZUZKANE
    Nintendo: NESx3, SNES, N64x2, NGCx2, WIIx2, GB, GBP, GBCx2, GBASPx2, NDSLx2,
    Sega: SMS, GENx3, SATx2, DCx3
    Sony: PS1, PS1 moddedx2, PS1 Jap, PS1 Slim, PS2x2, PS2 Slim, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim
    Others: XBOXx2, XBOX w/ hard mod, XBOX w/xbmc and 80gb HDD, X360, X360 Slim MW3 Edition, TG16, INTV, COLV, 2600 JR-broken, Wonderswanx2

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Oh boy, more 3D handhelds /sarcasm

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If they are going for 1080p for a handheld, the only reason, I can think of, this early out is compatibility and output with HD sets... There are so many other LCD resolutions and screens for a handheld gaming system. Maybe Nintendo is going for a handheld/console, literally. Would be interesting at least.

Then again, this is 'Blue Oceans' Nintendo, so who the hell knows?

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Baby steps ... Baby steps.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Another thing that confuses me, though I don't know much about this stuff. Nintendo's idea lately has been to make their hardware easy to develop for. Would this powerful Tegra change that? Nintendo may also have to put some work into getting an acceptable battery life.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Tegra platform was built from the ground up as a mobile platform, so I doubt battery life will be an issue. The Zune HD uses it and gets better battery life than an iPod Touch.

As far as development goes, I don't think there will be any lack of tools given that Tegra is already out there in the market and will be in everything from phones to GPS units by next year.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anybody know the specs of the Tegra chipset(s) offhand? They're designed for 1080p video playback, and rudimentary 3D. As far as I can tell, this system spec would be comparable to the PSP in terms of raw horsepower. Let me know if I'm way off here.

Portable games that have technically impressive graphics are a niche market at the moment. We still have a good decade of Flash-like games on handhelds before we can expect any moderate use of shaders and bumpmapping, let alone higher resolutions. That means that we can look forward to a better framerate in Cooking Mama, not a handheld port of Mario Galaxy.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Tegra

NVIDIA Tegra is a system-on-a-chip with an ARM processor developed by NVIDIA for mobile devices...

The Tegra is a "computer on a chip" which integrates the CPU, GPU, northbridge, southbridge and memory controller onto a single package.
    This is not a mere graphics architecture (If you knew already, cool, but I just found out myself)... This is an ARM based micro-workhorse and recent iterations have been used in MIDs and microbook comps etc. Is the Intel Atom the same type of set-up as the Tegra?

Since the GBA/DS line has been an ARM platform all this time, this makes perfect sense to me now that I dug into it. BC seems possible as far as the guts go. This is pretty interesting. Could Nintendo be getting into portable computing through gaming? Wowzers.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 10-19-2009 at 09:45 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives