Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games where you can go Exploring

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Games where you can go Exploring

I know i'm not the only one.

Are there any games out there besides missions and storyline driven that you could actually just explore the land (being cities or anything else for that matter)? Besides the obvious ones such as GTA: San Andreas, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. I don't care if their first or third person view.

I bring this up because I'm researching Deus Ex for the PS2 and it just brings to mind that some games are not (you have to take this path) games.

EDIT:
    I'm probably not that clear at the moment so let me explain it a little more. I mean a game where you can just walk around and see how things react to certain situations, see if things are breakable or not, see if you can do something that wasn't intended to do, find something odd.
    Last edited by 11killer11; 10-15-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

If you jump the pole in Super Mario Bros you can go Exploring
    Last edited by jcalder8; 10-15-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by 11killer11 View Post
    I know i'm not the only one.

Are there any games out there besides missions and storyline driven that you could actually just explore the land (being cities or anything else for that matter)? Besides the obvious ones such as GTA: San Andreas, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. I don't care if their first or third person view.

I bring this up because I'm researching Deus Ex for the PS2 and it just brings to mind that some games are not (you have to take this path) games.

EDIT:
    I'm probably not that clear at the moment so let me explain it a little more. I mean a game where you can just walk around and see how things react to certain situations, see if things are breakable or not, see if you can do something that wasn't intended to do, find something odd.
    Spiderman games I think. Jak 2 was another.

Do you mean games that give you everything from the start?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    Spiderman games I think. Jak 2 was another.

Do you mean games that give you everything from the start?

It could go either way on that question, I don't really mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Body Harvest and Space Station: Silicon Valley on the N64, and any Legend of Zelda game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    StetsonGraves

Jak 2 and 3 were like that.

Far Cry 2 has a ridiculously huge world but I wouldn't recommend that game to anyone.

Then there are the obvious Fallout 3, Morrowind, Oblivion etc. If you don't mind it being a little more closed off I highly recommend Psychonauts.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

In going places you shouldn't be going, Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3 all have nice little easter eggs in spots for your exploration above and beyond the call of duty.

If you're talking about the 'open world' game, you can also just go and sink a million hours into Just Cause is the first that springs to mind. God the world in that game is huge. Far Cry/FC redux / Far Cry 2 also fit the bill of ZOMG huge world to dabble in.

The Smugglers Run games on the PS2 have a big open drive area to them (not huge by todays means, but at the time, those were some big fields). The Burnout Series has that as well.

Red Faction Guerilla, Mercenaries 2, are both good 'at your leisure' open world games that arn't GTA.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by StetsonGraves View Post
    Jak 2 and 3 were like that.

Far Cry 2 has a ridiculously huge world but I wouldn't recommend that game to anyone.

Then there are the obvious Fallout 3, Morrowind, Oblivion etc. If you don't mind it being a little more closed off I highly recommend Psychonauts.
    Fallout 1 and 2 had a lot of this as well.

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm gonna take this thread all old school and say Auto Racing for the Intellivision. You could go off-course exploring and find all of the other tracks as well as a dragstrip. I remember there was a specific spot I found that would let my car drive through the entire "world" without hitting anything.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cityside75 View Post
    I'm gonna take this thread all old school and say Auto Racing for the Intellivision. You could go off-course exploring and find all of the other tracks as well as a dragstrip. I remember there was a specific spot I found that would let my car drive through the entire "world" without hitting anything.
    Reminds me of Test Drive 3. I haven't played 1 and 2, but on the third one, you could drive pretty much anywhere. If you hit anything your window would crack(as if you crashed,) or if you went into water your screen would fill with a sortof multishaded blue look. There was also a race track loop that had a car going around in circles on it that you could find in the middle of nowhere.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In True Crime: Streets of LA, you can explore a huge portion of the city, but there are some off-the-map areas you can easily break into (such as the downtown portion of the LA River, the UCLA campus, and a huge open area where the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena would be). Sneaking into off-limits areas on some portions of the map will quickly send you back, but in other areas, you're free to explore as much as you please.

In 4x4 Evolution, the areas surrounding the courses are huge (for that time, anyways), and in each course, there's a hidden treasure chest that will give you some extra cash. For example, the chest in the Arizona course is hidden in a small ghost town.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Morrowind is the king of that, in my opinion. No game ever made think "I wonder what's over that hill" and then actually delivered something cool and unexpected when I actually did climb over that hill like Morrowind.

Auto Racing on the Inty is a great suggestion - I used to love exploring around the tracks.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wing Commander: Privateer was like that as well. You could choose to do the missions, or you could do just enough missions to get a hyperdrive and go exploring.

The space stage in Spore is also like that as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In Burnout 3 you can go exploring places you aren't suppose to be, thanks to a healthy supply of gaming glitches to get outside of the tracks.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Don't forget the four old games that are becoming popular thanks to the new PS3 game Demon's Souls:

King's Field (Japan Only) (Playstation 1)
    King's Field (US) (Playstation 1)
    King's Field II (US) (Playstation 1)
    King's Field: The Ancient City (Playstation 2)
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    StetsonGraves

To continue with the old school driving game trend, in Driver if you can get the cops to hit you over the barrier you can explore the ocean...by driving on it =)

Oh, and Brutal Legend just came out, you might want to give that one a spin also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Another one that I liked (on the driving topic) was Smuggler's Run: Warzones. I believe that's the name of the GameCube version, but the game also came out on the PS2 under a slightly different name. There were the missions you could try, and then there was the freeplay mode. That's the one I loved, driving a four wheeler across these massive levels and just exploring. The game designers put in a couple video game tokens per level that you could find which would unlock a new level or two when you collected them all. I never played the missions too much, I just drove all over the maps. I loved the GC version so I bought a PS2 game in the same series but with a different name, and it turned out to be the same damn game as the GC one. So I never bought any other Smuggler's Run games, being pissed off at them for that.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^^^According to the back of the artwork for both games, ps2 version is 1-2 players, gamecube is 1-4. So something is indeed different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by 11killer11 View Post
    EDIT:
    I seem to remember something about a microwave casserole in Half Life. Something about blowing it up inside the microwave in one of the rooms.

There is the room in the castle in Zelda OoT in which you encounter young Princess Zelda. If you look around, there are photos of Mario characters in the courthouse windows and if you shoot your slingshot into the window, a guard will get mad at you and throw a bomb.
    DERP

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pilotwings 64, one of my favorite exploration games.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click