Thread: Any collectors of MSX or X68000?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Any collectors of MSX or X68000?

I've always been fascinated by these two (mostly) Japan-only computers. Of course Konami got it's major breaks in Japan on the MSX and the X68000 is said to have some great arcade ports. Still - other than emulating to try them out (which always feels flat compared to the real thing) what are some other collector's/gamer's opinions on these two machines?

Also - are there more interesting Japan-only computer machines I'm missing?
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

I have an MSX 2+, but importing games for it is expensive. I've been trying to find a cheap US source for cartridges, but no luck so far. I've got a bunch of disk images that I've been meaning to copy over and try out though.

I'd love to import an X68000, but everything is so expensive! That's definitely a system that you need to be dedicated to if you're going to collect for it.

There's also the PC-8001 and SC-3000 computers that were only released in Japan. The SC-3000 is basically a Sega SG-1000 (precursor to the SMS) with a keyboard and very little software, but the PC-8001 got a ton of games.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Armchair Arcade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    billlog
    PSN
    ArmchairArcade
    3DS Friend
    3995-6521-5257
    Steam
    Bill_Loguidice

I have several MSX 1 and 2+ systems and a decent collection of games and accessories. I try to snatch up what I can if a game pops up cheap on eBay, though it's typically from Japan. As with all systems, I'm interested in adding an X68000 system to my collection, but I can't really think of anything on it that would appeal to a non-Japanese speaker, and they tend to be very expensive systems to acquire, so the odds of me actually getting one ever are slim at best. My personal recommendation would be to get a hold of a good MSX2+ system, as the MSX standard has a great International community around it and you're far more likely to find stuff to buy to use on it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    There's also the PC-8001 and SC-3000 computers that were only released in Japan. The SC-3000 is basically a Sega SG-1000 (precursor to the SMS) with a keyboard and very little software, but the PC-8001 got a ton of games.
    I think I would go for a PC-9801 before I got a PC-8001. First off, they're (relatively) more plentiful to find, since at the peak of the PC-98, they controlled over 60% of Japan's computer market, and secondly, the games are better looking and more varied -- if you wanted a quick and dirty analogy, you can think of Japan's PC-98 being our DOS machines. They used different parts and specifications, but they are both somewhat similiar. The PC-98 starting to trail off its popularity in 1990, but the last one manufacturered was in 2000.

</history lesson>

Also, I'll echo Tempest's sentiments: I have an MSX2. I NEED a X68000.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by Gapporin View Post
    I think I would go for a PC-9801 before I got a PC-8001. First off, they're (relatively) more plentiful to find, since at the peak of the PC-98, they controlled over 60% of Japan's computer market, and secondly, the games are better looking and more varied -- if you wanted a quick and dirty analogy, you can think of Japan's PC-98 being our DOS machines. They used different parts and specifications, but they are both somewhat similiar. The PC-98 starting to trail off its popularity in 1990, but the last one manufacturered was in 2000.

</history lesson>

Also, I'll echo Tempest's sentiments: I have an MSX2. I NEED a X68000.
    Ahh that's the one I was thinking of. The PC-98.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up one of the One Chip MSX systems about a year ago and really enjoy it. It's nice to be able to run images on it from an SD card instead of needing to track down the carts. I've also got a Zemmix, but it would be much more cost effective to get a traditional MSX than trying to track down one of those.

Add me to the list of people wanting an X68000. I came really close to getting one, but the deal fell through in the end. But it's on my list to buy as soon as I find one reasonably priced.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i've never had much of a problem finding cheaper msx games (cart only). i just have a msx2 with no disk drive so i want to eventually upgrade to a nice 2+

there are several versions of the X68. the "compact" versions seem to be cheaper and more common on ebay but they lack the iconic double tower look, they also sprt 3.5 dick drives which i find wierd because almost all of the x68 software i've come across is on
    5 1/2 disks. the are also other versions of the computer some with faster cpu's or hard drives that were made as the system evolved over the years

noones mentioned the FM towns computer. most people i suppose are more familier with the fm towns marty which is the consolised version but there is a much more capible fm computer which comes in 2 models, the first being the more powerful.