Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any collectors of MSX or X68000?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    i lucked out on my MSX2 and found one CIB by a NA seller on the PCEnigneFX forums but that was the only MSX i've seen on a forum and havn't seen one for sale since
    I'll be selling mine soon, but it's just an MSX1. Not too expensive... except for that pesky shipping!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You obviously don't frequent the msx.org forums, as there are always many MSXen for sale on that forum. I got my Turbo-R from there.
    Go up to your brother, kill him with your gun. Leave him lying in his uniform dying in the sun. War, it's never been so much fun.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great topic !

I collect X68000 / MSX / FM Towns stuff for around 2 years now;

My modell is a XVI, it was around 400 euros (including monitor + seamail shipping). FM Towns is a UX with build in 9" multisync monitor, i love this little machine. (If it is to small, you can connect it to a LCD TV via VGA).

I also have a X68000 Expert but the Video board seems to be broken, it outputs only garbage :-( If someone has a broken Expert for sale please PM me ! My MSX is a Panasonic WSX MSX 2+ and it is a very great machine; game like Space Manbow Gradius II + III and Metal Gear make it worth to buy one.

If someone here is seriously interested in FM Towns gaming please do not buy a marty ! Some games run to slow on it and the video output is horrible. (And a few games do NOT run on it) You can have a loose FM Towns PC shipped for the price of a boxed marty @ yahoo.jp. ^_^

Pictures of my FM Towns connected via VGA to a 26" LCD TV;
    http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5775/dsci0152.jpg
    http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/4131/dsci0154.jpg

Sorry for my englisch !
    Last edited by danielscheil; 11-12-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by TheRogue View Post
    I'm a fan of digital novels too, but there's not too many in English on the MSX. Can you recommend any?
    no except snatcher.

It helps to be able to read the japanese >_<

I'll be selling mine soon, but it's just an MSX1. Not too expensive... except for that pesky shipping!!!
    What model? O_o

But now I know - if I can get ahold of a MSX2 or a X68000 I definitely should do so
    You can get a 8250 from Bas www.bas-ditta.info for 45 EUR + shipping. It aint a bad idea.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well the X68k monitor arrived today, but there's an issue with it. The power light won't come on and you can hear arcing electricity inside the case. You can hear part of it power up, so I think there is a cold solder joint somewhere, the tube comes on but the actual image processor doesn't seem to receive power. I'm taking it to Monitor King tomorrow, they quoted me roughly $70.00 Canadian dollars to fix it. *sigh* one more day with out an X68k
    Go up to your brother, kill him with your gun. Leave him lying in his uniform dying in the sun. War, it's never been so much fun.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good luck with your monitor, i hope they can fix it !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well still waiting for my monitor to get fixed, but for now I have it set up on my LCD monitor with a 15KHz-31KHz converter for the software that runs in 15KHz mode. It works excellent. All that extra memory is a huge life saver. Lets me run all sorts of wonderful things. I'll post some pics of it running shorty!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Rogue, I've got a non-functioning X68000 monitor around here. You say this place quoted you $70 CAD to get fixed? What was their fee to diagnose the problem?

It's an interesting coincidence because today I've been asking around about a problem with a regular PC monitor that I wanted to get working (that has this problem - pic).

Quote Originally Posted by danielscheil View Post
    I collect X68000 / MSX / FM Towns stuff for around 2 years now;
    Yeah, you've been busy. Nice setup, although I've not got the space to dedicate to a bookcase like that - I also like to keep my rares out of the light. It's also a bit too space-wasting for my liking. 7 to 10 * 14 = that's a lot of stuff. Last time I checked I had around 50 X68000 titles, and it only got more cluttered from there. Still got a couple X68000 games I need to find. MSX I'm more or less done with, I never cared for Laydock et c. and just want to pick up the original Aleste and maybe some of the Konami titles (except they're expensive).
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 11-16-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My X68000 monitor also needed to be fixed just after I got it, so my wife took it to an old classmate. Anyway, he laughed when he saw it and said it should be thrown away. In the end he fixed it for 3000 yen. The only thing was that he could only test it as a television, he didn't know if it would work with a computer attached. He fixed it up perfectly, didn't take too long either.

So, it's likely that you may get strange looks when asking about such an old monitor, but it still works just like a normal television, so maybe use that approach.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRogue View Post
    Well still waiting for my monitor to get fixed, but for now I have it set up on my LCD monitor with a 15KHz-31KHz converter for the software that runs in 15KHz mode.
    W O W !

More infos please ! ^_^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

More info about what? The 15KHz-31KHz converter? Sure. It's called an Ambery CGA-To-VGA converter. It's not as good as something like the xRGB, but it gets the job done. You can find more information about it here. http://www.ambery.com/rgbcgatovgac.html. It also acts as a YPbPr to VGA converter. I will post pictures for you guys of it in action if you want. I tried it with one or 2 other computers when I first got it, and it's performance was way below satisfactory. I honestly thought it was going to be a write-off until I tried it on the X68k. The only thing is on certain screens you can see very faint vertical bars on the screen. It's not even noticeable unless you look for it thought. By the way, don't let the name fool you, it doesn't actually work on CGA (digital RGB), so be aware of that.
    Last edited by TheRogue; 11-19-2009 at 12:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

NICE. Any lag noticable? Take it you had to splice up a custom cable?

The thing about the XRGB2 is that I think the designers were smoking something bad; there's an OUTPUT for X68000 monitors, but no INPUT. What the hell? Anyway, I will definitely be checking into that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    I've always been more partial to the MSX, probably because im a sucker for digital-comic games.

and Fray.
    I've always been more partial to the MSX, probably because im a sucker for digital-comic games.
    See, that's what slowdown will do to you. *Cheapshot*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The converter uses the VGA Pin-out on both sides. What I did was took an extra commodore 23 pin to 15 pin converter, cut the extra pins off the 23 pin connector and rewired the port to the correct pin-out. Not the most direct solution, but it was the middle of the night, I was out of female 15 pin connectors, and didn't want to wait. Keep in mind I'm not plugging this directly into the X68000 but rather into one end of an X68000 monitor cable. It works quite well. Also, there is no noticeable lag with the image, It's actually quite impressive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    See, that's what slowdown will do to you. *Cheapshot*
    Im not sure I follow you on this one, at all lol.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I just ordered an MSX2 online with 14 games for $120. It's a Sony model, an HB-F1 II. Thankfully, it's Japanese so I don't need to worry about voltage or video output. Can't wait to get it, and after reading this thread, the MSX looks even more awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

What model? O_o
    Sanyo MPC-10. It's not in perfect condition, though. I'm honestly not sure of what prices on these things usually are. I put it as a lot with a 5 games, a memory cartridge (?) and a demo cart for $60. The thread is HERE.
    Do you think that's a decent deal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I just ordered an MSX2 online with 14 games for $120. It's a Sony model, an HB-F1 II. Thankfully, it's Japanese so I don't need to worry about voltage or video output. Can't wait to get it, and after reading this thread, the MSX looks even more awesome.
    Got it from rising stuff didn't ya?

As for that Sanyo model, 60$ aint bad. The games are pretty cool ones too at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd love to get me an MSX2 or MSX2+ with floppy drives...I've a copy of Final Fantasy that I'd like to try and play... Outside of that, the only MSX stuff I want is the two Dragon Quest games...
    World's greatest Internet game store: http://blastedmachines.com

Also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/BlastedMachinesTechShop

Wanted: Any and all Dragon Quest, Lufia/Estpolis, Tales of series, and NIS games, strategy guides, and miscellaneous items. Will pay $$$ or trade well for items I don't already have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Got it from rising stuff didn't ya?

As for that Sanyo model, 60$ aint bad. The games are pretty cool ones too at least.
    Great! I'm not really a bit MSX expert other than what's on my emulator and the few games I've got here. To be honest, I'd love to get into it more but I'm trying to keep my collection under control and that means I'm selling my MSX.