Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: True DP Confessions: Super Castlevania 4

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default True DP Confessions: Super Castlevania 4

I have a confession to make: I don't like Castlevania 4 and never have. Each time I see this game mentioned it gets a level of praise I don't understand.

I first encountered the beast in 1992.. My initial reaction wasn't anything near "super", I thought the game was a significant step down from the Castlevania 1/2/3 I'd been nursed on. Nothing like what I imagined 16-bit Castlevania would be. The sprites were huge (not at all similar to the NES games), and the gameplay generally didn't feel very Castlevania to me. I didn't hate it, but I was thoroughly disappointed.

After that years would go by.. I'd play game after game that made the jump to 16-bit in style and it all left me wondering how the mighty Castlevania stumbled through the door with seemingly everyone loving it all the same.

I can't bring myself to hate it but I do consider it the worst 16-bit Castlevania. Oh forgive me DP!!

Well, I feel better already. This DP confessionals thing really works!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

OOooh. Video game confessions... Interesting...

You're not a criminal for not liking Super Castelvania 4. I think its more criminal that Nintendo managed to slam the word "Super" onto the begining of the title thus making people think there is a Super Castlevania I-III

Some things I would like to confess:

- I first played Super Mario Bros. 3 when I got All-Stars in 1994 and finally beat SMB3 a few months ago...
    - I despise the critically acclaimed PC game, Myst.
    - I played Contra for the first time a week ago.
    - I LOVE NIGHT TRAP!
    Last edited by Sonicwolf; 10-17-2009 at 01:05 AM.
    DERP

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

played and beat castlevania: sotn for the first time the other day and was terribly dissapointed.
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'll confess as well, I actually like the 2 N64 Castlevania's.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I love Super Castlevania 4? That's true.

I bash Nintendo because I don't like them as a company, but I actually want a Wii because it's got a small handful of games I want to have which no other system will probably ever receive. I still haven't bought one though because I can't see myself justifying the purchase when I want less than 10 good games.

I also love the Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and every single Nintendo handheld. Even though I think the DS is a great system I bash it because it's Nintendo's current portable console and I don't like Nintendo as a company. I have more than 30 DS games, three of which I dislike, all others I didn't like I've sold.

I most NIS titles. I love Prinny Can I Really Be The Hero. Other than Prinny, this is a company that doesn't know how to make a good game. They're like the Koei of tactical RPGs and Disgaea is their Dynasty Warriors(La Pucelle was out first, but Disgaea is the most well known -- they're all the same though and boring, no challenge, no strategy, terrible games.)
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-17-2009 at 02:37 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Archangel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Archangel Sin

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I love Super Castlevania 4? That's true.

I bash Nintendo because I don't like them as a company, but I actually want a Wii because it's got a small handful of games I want to have which no other system will probably ever receive. I still haven't bought one though because I can't see myself justifying the purchase when I want less than 10 good games.

I also love the Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and every single Nintendo handheld. Even though I think the DS is a great system I bash it because it's Nintendo's current portable console and I don't like Nintendo as a company. I have more than 30 DS games, three of which I dislike, all others I didn't like I've sold.

I most NIS titles. I love Prinny Can I Really Be The Hero. Other than Prinny, this is a company that doesn't know how to make a good game. They're like the Koei of tactical RPGs and Disgaea is their Dynasty Warriors(La Pucelle was out first, but Disgaea is the most well known -- they're all the same though and boring, no challenge, no strategy, terrible games.)
    Its understandable man, I feel the same way about them now. Especially NoA since they basically abandoned their old fans in order to adopt a world wide all age group market where nintendo and other companies will push all these useless titles while the old fans wish that they would not be ignored.
    Currently Hunting: Any Virtual Boy game except Mario Tennis and Teleroboxer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
    Nothing wrong with that. I liked them too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    - I despise the critically acclaimed PC game, Myst.
    Before I go Usher Raymond and give you all my confessions, let's be serious here for a moment. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, likes Myst, save for people who think that boring multimedia experiences count as games.

Onto my confessions:

-I bought a Nintendo Wii on the day it came out and have barely played with it since; I absolutely hate the thing and think it's an abomination of a system -- and this is coming from a Nintendo loyalist who owned a friggin' Virtual Boy.
    -I HATED Super Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess.
    -During my original ownership of a Super Nintendo, I only owned about twenty games and somehow did NOT have Link to the Past, F-Zero, StarFox, OR Super Metroid.
    -I have stepped foot in an arcade maybe three times in my life.
    -Sunset Riders is one of my ten favorite games of all time.
    -I like Sonic the Hedgehog's 3D games.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Its understandable man, I feel the same way about them now. Especially NoA since they basically abandoned their old fans in order to adopt a world wide all age group market where nintendo and other companies will push all these useless titles while the old fans wish that they would not be ignored.
    I've never understood why gamers are so insecure about products like Wii Fit, etc. 'Hardcore' games aren't going anywhere, the sales of GTA, Gears of War, and others will not be ignored. In fact, I think growing the numbers of gamers is a great, more buyers means potentially more niche stuff coming out.

Anyways, Nintendo this generation has already put out a Zelda, soon three console Marios, Mario Kart, and more. When did they have games more 'hardcore' than those? Nintendo may not be hardcore right now, but honestly when where they?

Getting back on track, I think SCIV got a lot of love back in the daycause it really pushed what the SNES was capable of. Things like the rotating room and jumping from chandelier to chandelier were mind blowing at the time. I have some pretty fond memories of the game, and I hope I love it again when I eventually replay it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

True confessions, eh? Ooo, ooo, me next!

-Haven't played the original SMB for a couple of years, I could never get back into it like I did when I was a kid.
    -"Bad" sequels I thought were better than the original game, Castlevania 2, and SMB2.
    -Along the same line, I owned Mega Man 1-5 when they came out and I love them all almost equally; MM2 would be first, after that I would have a hard time deciding which one is next.
    -The SNES was the last Nintendo console I ever owned, I bought a Genesis along with the SNES I got for Christmas in 1991/92, bought a PS1 in 1997.
    -Never played Chrono Trigger or Earthbound until a couple of years ago; I wasn't that impressed. My fav SNES RPG is Secret of Mana, mostly because of nostaglia.
    -I enjoy bad games more than I should, partly because of irony and because I truly find them at least decent. I find the Color Dreams' games Menace Beach, Secret Scout, etc highly entertaining.

I'll think of some more later.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

oooo confessions here are some of my little confessions:

- I, too, do not like Super Castlevania IV...
    - I also do not like any FPS's...at all (past Wolfenstein 3D and Doom)..
    - I don't care for any MMO's....
    - I, too, like Night Trap....and Dracula Unleashed...and SnowJob....and Sherlock Holmes lol
    - I still consider Lunar:EB the best 16-bit RPG
    - I bought an N64 on its Japanese launch day for a hefty price...and still hate the system to this day (its my least played system).......
    - I never liked any 3D Mario game....or Sonic
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked CV4, however I didnt think it looked all that great. And this was a day and age when F-Zero and Pilotwings ooh'd and aah'd me. I thought CV4 looked pretty crappy graphically to be honest in comparison to all the other SNES titles that were coming out.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
    There should be no shame in that. The games got pretty decent critical reviews from professional sources, and I personally like them as well.

My confession is that I've never beaten Super Mario Bros. 2 or 3. Well, I've beaten 3 with warps, but 2 is just impossible to me.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-I think Mario Sunshine is better than Galaxy.
    -I think God of War is awful and repetitive with great art direction but is mostly a jerkoff session for bloodthirsty gamers and PS fanboys.
    -I own 2 PS3's and I dont really like the system. I use it mostly for PS2 games cause I feel the current PS3 lineup blows.
    -Little Big Planet is an awful platformer and I love good platformers.
    -I have never played a 3D GTA game for more than 5 minutes before I was bored to tears.
    -I have almost no complaints about Microsoft about their OS's or game systems
    -I have completed 1 3D RPG ever(Valkyria Chronicles unless you count Pape Mario 1/2)
    -Atari Jaguar has great FPS's
    -The New Batman game isn't very good and I feel it is only praised due to the new Batman love affair every person has with the character since the new movie.
    -I cant name any exclusive XBOX(180) games.
    -(going back to Castlevania games) I think Dracula X is a bad game.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

At least your reasons for not liking CV4 are understandable. I may not be able to relate much because I love CV4, but there's no denying that it's quite different from the NES games.

What grinds my gears is when people lambast CV4 solely for being too easy (which it is), yet these are the same people that think Rondo of Blood is the greatest thing since sliced bread when I personally feel they're both roughly as easy. CV4 has a few tricky points towards the end, as does Rondo, and everything else in those games is a pushover. Or worse yet, these people often worship SotN too, which is absolutely mind-numbingly easy, even in comparison to CV4. Seriously, people, get your priorities straight and your arguments right. Personally, I love all three games despite them being too easy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The N64 games aren't really "good" but they have atmosphere and I always enjoy them at least a bit.

I never really got hooked by SotN, although I ought to sit down and play through it sometime.

Super CV IV isn't the first game I'm likely to play, but I like a lot of it. Mode 7 cheese, not so much - like hanging from the whip for what feels like half a minute while the room rotates. That's boring and plain bad game design. Konami struggled a bit to make their Mode 7 gimmicks translate well into gameplay - Axelay is a prime example of this. Usually pretty, but awkward.

I should mention that I've never been the biggest fan of the FC / NES Contra, but I find myself playing it often (via Contra 4), so I dunno what's going on there. It's pretty solid despite its quirks.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Legacy of the Darkness is legitimately good. People were just being bitter because 1) it's not 2D or side-scrolling, 2) it's not SotN, and 3) they were frustrated that the first N64 Castlevania was basically incomplete, giving them the feeling that they were duped by Konami into wasting their money for essentially the same game twice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by vivaeljason View Post
    -I bought a Nintendo Wii on the day it came out and have barely played with it since; I absolutely hate the thing and think it's an abomination of a system -- and this is coming from a Nintendo loyalist who owned a friggin' Virtual Boy.
    Same with me. Havnt put much play into it since Brawl came out...
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to say that I love Super Castlevania IV. It has some of the best graphics on the SNES (IMO), great music and perfect presentation. Though I admit that the linearity of it isn't desirable compared to Castlevania III, it is still one of the best action/adventure platformers ever released. Gameplay is king!

Interesting story though, I wanted this game for my 11th birthday, but my mom wouldn't let me have it because she didn't like the box artwork. Instead, I got Final Fantasy II. I must say, Final Fantasy II/IV still trumps Castlevania IV as one of my favourite games by a longshot. I finally got Castlevania IV back in 1998 or so, and played the crap out of it. In fact, the most usage I got out of it was to experiment with my Game Genie, producing many interesting codes.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuzzball123

I've never beat the original Super Mario Bros. simply because it's too hard.

Yep...

i liek gamez