Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7800 Homebrews

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_list&c=23

The AA store is back up; Wasp, Super Pac-Man, Pac-Man Jr. and Space Invaders are available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by PacManPlus View Post
    Thanks, man - yes, I am going through some things at the moment, but I hope to get back in full force soon.

In the meantime (to add to the 'currently being worked on' list - although the name will be changed to 'FailSafe'):
    Sweet! Countermeasure is one of my favorite 5200 games. It's very underrated.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PacManPlus View Post
    Thanks, man - yes, I am going through some things at the moment, but I hope to get back in full force soon.

In the meantime (to add to the 'currently being worked on' list - although the name will be changed to 'FailSafe'):
    Nice.

I can't wait to try it out.

Mitch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by orangest View Post
    http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_list&c=23

The AA store is back up; Wasp, Super Pac-Man, Pac-Man Jr. and Space Invaders are available.
    Yay!

Now, if only I had money. November is a "thin" month. :-(
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Insert Coin (Level 0) GroovyBee's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw my name so I had to join up . Find attached some screenshots from my latest Atari 7800 game.

You can follow the game's development over at AtariAge here :-

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic...ppy-halloween/
    Last edited by GroovyBee; 11-19-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Welcome Groovy Bee... well, you should know me at least

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonic View Post
    Ah, that's a shame b/c the current version seems pretty close to be complete (aside from the lack of sound). Hopefully he finds time to finish it up, or maybe someone else can, b/c it'd be a shame for it not to be.
    Actually it does have sound, it uses the Pokey chip though so you need to have it enabled to hear it.

Mitch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

There is a new Atari 7800 game that is being attempted called Arkanoid. The thread about Arkanoid is at http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic...im-working-on/ .

It sounds like there is a plan to have the Atari 7800 version of Arkanoid to work with Atari 2600 game paddles or Atari 2600 driving controllers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz View Post
    It sounds like there is a plan to have the Atari 7800 version of Arkanoid to work with Atari 2600 game paddles or Atari 2600 driving controllers.
    It's about time that someone thought of porting Arkanoid, or at least one of the many knock-offs of it. With so many paddle controllers available for the Atari machines, it sounds like it would be a natural.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lutz, just ran across this thread, just a few comments -

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz View Post
    Anyone that brought the Atari 7800 brand new in 1984 by test market and whatever the amount was left from the short lived test market or was produced by the time Jack Tramiel took over was sent to stores in 1986.
    Yes from January through July '86. The popular myth is that they dusted it off because of Nintendo, but in actuality they were pushing it again at the January '86 CES (after Nintendo had only had the poor showing New York test and had yet to have the better LA one). Michael Katz had publicly stated at the time it was because of strong 2600 sales over the Christmas season, though it was because of more going on behind the scenes of the previous year (touched on below).

Jack wanted Atari for the computer division and didn't care for videogames.
    Another common myth, though I can understand why people think that because of the one desk incident with GCC. Jack planned on using the video games division from the get go to keep the company going (he could have just purchased the computer division) while finishing the ST. Part of the no money down purchase deal was that he take on the bulk of Atari Inc.'s debt so Warner could write it off the books (he succeeded in clearing it and bringing things back in the black by '87). So he needed the income from that. After the month freeze over July to evaluate everything purchased, he actually started the 2600jr project back up again that August of '84.

The original Atari 7800 models were already produced by the time Jack Tramiel pulled the plug on the Atari 7800 in 1984.
    He did not pull the plug - all projects were jointly frozen by Jack and Warner for an evaluation period. The 7800 fell a short term victim to an outstanding bill. Warner had kept any open accounts (a standard practice), and the GCC account fell in to that grey area - they were still owed for the Maria development. So there was haggling back and forth over who owed GCC the money and therefore would own the console. It was finally decided that Jack would have to pay GCC the owed money to have full rights to the console, which was done that May of '85. After payment they asked for the molds and tooling to start things up again, and things hit full steam under pressure from Warner (still a major stock holder) that Fall of '85.

The original model was test marketed in 1984 with games before Jack pulled the plug on the system.
    Again, see above. Also, during the test marketing the 7800 was actually not well received by the CES press at the June '84 CES. Accounts from the time rip it as more of the same. And with Atari Inc. also planning to launch their Amiga based console that Christmas, one has to wonder where the 7800 actually fit in.
    Last edited by martyg; 02-03-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For all intents and purposes, the 7800 was mothballed. Atari had pretty much stuck it to all of their U.S. distributors at that point (as a direct result of the market crash), and it would have been impossible for Atari to get them to devote shelf space for it. If Tramiel had plans for releasing it, he made no mention of them, either at his first press conference (November 1984), or all of 1985. In fact, about the only thing he talked about was Atari's plans for the computer industry. Pretty much the only reason the 7800 made it out to stores at all was because of the NES's successful test run in NYC late '85 that got everybody talking about video games again. If Atari actually sold a million (!) 2600 systems in 1985 like they claimed to, I want to see the paperwork to back it up.
    [SIZE="4"]<< INSERT MESETA FOR SIGNATURE >>[/SIZE]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Scott, appreciate your input.

For all intents and purposes, the 7800 was mothballed.
    Yes, because of the payment issues previously mentioned. GCC was still owed a substantial amount for developing the MARIA chip and the first 10 games for the 7800. Jack argued with Warner that it should've been included with his purchase of Atari Consumer. It was settled that Spring of '85 with Jack paying for the MARIA development in order to get full rights, at which point he asked for the tooling and molds. Then a second disagreement started on the payments for the games GCC did and this all delayed the 7800 even further until that Fall when Warner put pressure on them to get it out the door.

Atari had pretty much stuck it to all of their U.S. distributors at that point (as a direct result of the market crash), and it would have been impossible for Atari to get them to devote shelf space for it.
    Many of the major distributors (such as Sears) certainly left video games in their entirety by '85. However, there still was an active distribution network and the large back stock of 2600 and 5200 were both still being sold through '85 at retailers. This is the large back stock that Tramiel planned on "living" off of while 8-bit and ST development continued. Interestingly, they also had full plans for the 8-bit computer line from the get go according to internal emails from that July (one of which I showed at ECCC during by speech clearing up the whole Warner/Atari Inc./Atari Corp./Amiga/Commodore mess).

If Tramiel had plans for releasing it, he made no mention of them, either at his first press conference (November 1984), or all of 1985.
    Certainly, why would he make mention of something still being hashed out between Warner and himself? (there were a bunch of legal "who owns what" still being hashed out well in to the early 90's between Atari Corp./Warner and Atari Games/Atari Corp.)

In fact, about the only thing he talked about was Atari's plans for the computer industry.
    Thankfully, we have internal emails, documents and direct interviews to go by. The ramp up of the 2600 Jr. in July/August '84 is directly in their corporate email system for example. The time frames for the payments and such were corroborated independently by Brad Saville and Steve Golson (GCC).

Pretty much the only reason the 7800 made it out to stores at all was because of the NES's successful test run in NYC late '85 that got everybody talking about video games again.
    Again, that's a common misconception. According to direct interviews with Arakawa and others from NOA of the time, it was not a "big success that got everyone talking about video games again". According to them they only sold about half the consoles sent over from Japan and and it was Yamauchi that pressed for the additional testing in LA that February. In fact, press reports from the January '86 CES also describe the test launch in NY as failed and the NES having little hope. Furthermore, by the June '86 CES in fact, all three consoles (NES, 7800 and the announced Master System) were being treated equally by the press. It was their combined presence that was being treated as the market being "revived". (On an aside, the 7800 was also back in stores already by that time, and I have local coverage in towns talking about high demand for it and selling out quickly.) It wasn't until more in to summer time and then the Fall national NES launch that the NES started getting more favorable press that put it more towards the head of the pack - though all three were reported with strong sales that Fall and Winter. The complete dominance began in '87.

If Atari actually sold a million (!) 2600 systems in 1985 like they claimed to, I want to see the paperwork to back it up.
    Katz's claim (in January of '86) was actually towards predicting they would sell well over a million 2600 and 7800's combined over '86. Regarding what sales were actually done, we've actually got internal paperwork for much of the material in question, including US 7800 sales and others.

Most likely, the large 2600 sales in '85 were due to their setting at the $50 price point by that Fall and Christmas season.
    Last edited by martyg; 02-03-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by martyg View Post
    Again, that's a common misconception. According to direct interviews with Arakawa and others from NOA of the time, it was not a "big success that got everyone talking about video games again"....
    You can explain that to Len Herman, since he basically made the same comments that I did in his "Phoenix" book.

Thankfully, we have internal emails, documents and direct interviews to go by.
    We've actually got internal paperwork for much of the material in question, including US 7800 sales and others.
    Then kindly post them or offer links to them.

PS: Who's "we"?
    Last edited by stonic; 02-03-2010 at 01:30 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can explain that to Len Herman, since he basically made the same comments that I did in his "Phoenix" book.
    Len's a friend of mine, and we've talked about this before. He was going by the material available at the time, as all of us were (since I used to think the same thing as well).

Then kindly post them or offer links to them.

PS: Who's "we"?
    Curt and I. Though you already told him in the other thread you're not interested in any material he offered to share with you. However, the 7800 US sales figures were posted over at AA, you're welcome to take a look at them there.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Though you already told him in the other thread you're not interested in any material he offered to share with you.
    That's right, and my stance won't change, no matter what carrot you try to dangle in front of me, or what forum account you use

Anybody can throw around sales figures all day long. But since you still didn't offer any links or information, other than "it's on Atariage", then I have to wonder if it's part of the same information mentioned in this thread:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132248

If it is, they weren't scans but rather Excel files that someone typed up, and not something anybody should reference as internal Atari documents.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's right, and my stance won't change, no matter what carrot you try to dangle in front of me, or what forum account you use
    I'm not sure if you're accusing me of being Curt, but that's not the case. Just google "Marty Goldberg" in relation to ClassicGaming.Com, Atari Gaming Headquarters, the Midwest Gaming Classic, etc. Or ask Len, John H., Sean K., Matt (Tempest), Carey, etc.

If it is, they weren't scans but rather Excel files that someone typed up, and not something anybody should reference as internal Atari documents.
    Actually no, the original material shared were copies of direct internal emails - not "excel files someone typed up". Lutz stated in the post you referred to, that he went and put everything in excel. I have copies of those emails myself.

And the stance of "I don't want the info, but post it here or it doesn't exist" comes off a bit pecuiliar. An interesting mix of "I want the info, but I also want to do a typical flame bait arguing tactic at the same time." But then if you want to go that route, feel free to wait for the two volume set we've been working on, which will contain all the requested marterial and then some. Links denote something put up on the web, which would mean we'd have to have put up the hours upon hours of direct interviews, internal paperwork, emails, paid for news archives and paid for court documents, etc. I've shared hard researched material with plenty of researchers and authors, but I just don't see the payoff here other than to share info and resources with someone that doesn't appreciate it and appears to want to turn it in to just another pissing contest.

I've said what I had to say, in good faith and good concsience. Many I mentioned above know that's where I come from, no hidden agenda. Just one "free thinker" to many more.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure if you're accusing me of ...
    So "wgungfu" isn't yours?

I guess I'll just have to wait for your volumes to come out, since you don't want to post anything right now. Thanks anyway.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So "wgungfu" isn't yours?

I guess I'll just have to wait for your volumes to come out, since you don't want to post anything right now. Thanks anyway.
    It's really unfortunate that you have to act this way. Impedes good discussions and sharing of information

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Assuming that these are the types of docs he's referring to? Curt posted a pile of these a while ago.