• Commodore Amiga

9 15.25%
  • Apple II line (including gs)

8 13.56%
  • Classic MAC

1 1.69%
  • ZX Spectrum/Timex 2068

0 0%
  • How DARE you leave out my beloved <computer>!!1!~!

4 6.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite 'retroputer' of all time~!

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Favorite 'retroputer' of all time~!

OK Folks. Some handwringing is in order now.

The one to top 'em all: pick your poison. If possible explain why in your post and if you want, those that came in close second (or third )

EDIT: 10's too few to get it all in there but I tried to group in compatibility fashion.

Me? I'm an Amiga whore. I'm learning 68K asm so I can homebrew on it. I love lots of different computer platforms but the Amiga captured my heart like no woman ever could.

... don't tell any of my future dates that! :P
    Last edited by AB Positive; 10-20-2009 at 11:55 AM.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a kid I had a windows 95 and a TRS-80 CoCo 2. As much as I loved windows 95, i didnt do much with it and could never easily figure out the DOS commands to play MAME games.

On the TRS-80 however, i greatly enjoyed copy pasta code from the book and also loved and still do love Dungeons of Daggorath. I would manipulate a lot of the book's code as well, and code my own songs and sometimes text based games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Game Freak View Post
    On the TRS-80 however, i greatly enjoyed copy pasta code from the book and also loved and still do love Dungeons of Daggorath. I would manipulate a lot of the book's code as well, and code my own songs and sometimes text based games.

TRS-80 apparently had a good foothold in new england - the very school I work at had them for their first computer lab in the early 80's. It prompted a great story from my boss (and former teacher)...

"We had all TRS-80s back in the day... we called 'em Trash-80s because they'd just never work like we wanted them to. Well a custodian or someone left a window open and someone used it to come in and steal the entire lot of computers.

... I came in the next day and saw my entire lab empty. The principal came in took one look and sighed. 'Call the police and give me a PO for what the replacements would cost' he said. I closed the door behind him and jumped for joy... we could get PC Jrs instead! Best theft I ever had on my watch."

... TRS-80 - great for gaming but apparently not much else according to my boss. Still gotta try Daggorath one of these days tho.
    -AB+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I voted C-64. It was my first computer and where I learned to program. Plus, it seemed more like a game system that most other computers. I used Apple ]['s in school off and on but not too many fond memories with it.

I also had a TRS-80 that I used quite a bit for learning to programming as well, but it wasn't the one most people are familiar with, it was one of these ugly guys...

"Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Perhaps a bit biased since, well, it was all I had as a child, but the C64 was my baby de gaming. Maniac Mansion, 10TH MOTHER LOVIN' FRAME Bowling, Spelling Wizard, Print Shop, Newsroom, Defcon 5, Jumpman, the orignal Double Dragon with Apology letter...TRANSFORMERS...that system was my original PSX.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

I'm a sucker for a DOS machine, the C64 or the MSX. I'd love to get an Apple II someday, but it'll have to be local as the shipping alone would kill me. I had a TRS-80, but it wasn't memorable enough for me to hang on to, and I ended up getting rid of it (Monster Maze was pretty sweet though...a poor man's Berzerk...and I enjoyed every minute of it).
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this is a super close one for me. i grew up with both the C64 and the Amiga 500. i had the c64 in my room and i played tons of games on it from maniac mansion to save new york. i loved that thing but it was always my dads amiga 500 that really dazzeled me. i can't begin to estimate the time i spend playing Elite or Star Glider on it. its almost a tie between them but i'm going to have to give it to the amiga as my all time favorite. wins by a nose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well, to provide this information you gotta have used all of the above for a certain amount of time (at least a year), used numerous software on them, also hardware like fdds, printers etc., otherwise how can you compare and know which one is your favorite?
    Last edited by tom; 10-21-2009 at 02:05 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Well, to provide this information you gotta have used all of the above for a certain amount of time (at least a year), used numerous software on them, also hardware like fdds, printers etc., otherwise how can you compare and know which one is your favorite?
    That's like saying you have to taste every prepared dish ever made before you can pick a favorite food.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Amiga for me. I own three of them. I use a program and adapter from Amigakit which allows me to turn roms into Amiga format floppy disk's. Real games are considerably hard to find around here. I have found one Amiga game in my regular thrift shop rounds after 5 years of searching.

Although all of those computers are before my time, I appreciate the Amiga the most. It was such a nice computer. Awesome graphics and audio capabilities. Unfortunately, Commodore was a bunch of dunderheads and allowed the Amiga brand to sit while the other companies caught up.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted for "DOS/Win 3.1/Win 98", but I strongly dislike the early (pre-VGA) DOS stuff. The mid to late 90s was a fantastic era for PC gaming. I also really like the Amiga's selection of games, but other aspects of it are annoying. Though I guess any classic computer has its annoyances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

I didnt vote DOS since that crap still works on a brand spankin new PC.

but, you left out MSX! wtfs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Of course the Commodork voted Commodore 64/128.

I started out on a TRS-80 Model III, just like the one jb143 posted. I was an Apple kid for a while, but the sound and graphics of the C64 captured my heart. I never had the money for an Amiga, so I spent (at least) the last half of the 80s behind a C64. I was fortunate enough to live in a computer-friendly home, and at one time we owned a PC, an Apple, and a Commodore all at the same time!

For anyone counting, I currently own seven of the nine machines listed in the poll (if you count duplicates, I own about 30, hah). I've never owned an Atari ST and never seen a ZX Spectrum in person.

Insert Coin (Level 0) sonoranreptile's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first computer I had as a kid was a C64. Had tons of games for it, learned to program BASIC on it and is definitely my favorite. My favorite games were Echelon, The Bard's Tale 2, and Earl Weaver Baseball......
    A delusion made me stronger
    Yet I'm draped in pale withering flesh
    I sacrificed more than I had
    And left my woes beneath the mire
    --Opeth

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    I didnt vote DOS since that crap still works on a brand spankin new PC.

but, you left out MSX! wtfs!
    Would've put it in but only 10 options available, and then I'd be leaving out X68000, PC-88 etc...

Never mind I had to leave out Amstrad CPC... thus the 'other' option.

What, no Pyuuta fans?

I would like to mention my second choice would be... Atari 8-bit. I really tried to get into the C64, being a newly converted Amiga nut but... I don't know. Maybe I just love Jay Miner. *shrugs*
    -AB+

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

While I've played games on all the formats listed, I only own four of them. Needless to say I voted C64... you were expecting something else?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I voted C64/128.

But the Apple II comes in a very close second.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses - but the C64's SID chip gives it a slight edge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Amiga has been my favorite computer ever since I got my first A500 20 years ago.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

sorry, DOS all the way. the ONLY thing on that list you can compare it to quality wise is Amiga, but the gaming support is behind DOS (vastly more games, and all amiga was ported over anyway), so really there is no competition.

C64 was great for its time, but it was surpassed by the mid 80s+ DOS completely, in every way. (in my opinion its like comparing the Sega Master System to the Genesis)

edit: if dos were to be disqualified, largely because it is an OS which is still compatible with today's hardware, i vote amiga all the way.
    Last edited by Poofta!; 10-21-2009 at 11:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

My first computer was a Texas Instruments 99/4A. I have a whole lotta love for that little silver machine. But I had to give the award to the Amiga 1000. My brother got me one from some shady friend of his (who also installed an extra 512K in it that only a few games would recognize), and also around a hundred or so floppies of not-exactly-legal copies of games to run on it. I picked up many, many other titles for it over the next few years. Such a great computer. The games were incredible compared to what I was used to, the TI-99/4A, the Atari 2600, and the NES.