• Commodore Amiga

9 15.25%
  • Apple II line (including gs)

8 13.56%
  • Classic MAC

1 1.69%
  • ZX Spectrum/Timex 2068

0 0%
  • How DARE you leave out my beloved <computer>!!1!~!

4 6.78%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite 'retroputer' of all time~!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
    I would like to mention my second choice would be... Atari 8-bit. I really tried to get into the C64, being a newly converted Amiga nut but... I don't know. Maybe I just love Jay Miner. *shrugs*
    my biggest bitch about the C64 is the disk hardware being dodgy. 1541s are the touchiest things I've ever stuck a disk into. You bust em open, "fix" them, and stick in one disk that it hates, and it goes BRNFRJKGNRDGJfkg and you are back to square 1.

sure you can get a 1571. But then it doesn't match your bread-bin anymore, so you have to get a matching 64C!

then comes my unanswered to this day question of: "Why are the VIC II colors all dim/washed out compared to the CPC, etc."

they really are. I don't know if its the CHOICE of colors, or what. You display a CPC and a C64 on the same screen (real hardware), and there's this massive difference in vibrance/lushness of color

maybe all the effort went into the SID instead.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think it's the SID that gets me about C64 fans. Sure, we all have vastly different ears for things but, I love the POKEY sounds from the A8. Ever play Yoomp!?

Seriously, get an emulator if you don't have an A8 kicking about, and play Yoomp!

I could listen to that game all day.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've used a lot of home computers and I wish I could pick something more exotic, but I think I'd have to go with the PC. I had more fun playing Apogee and Epic Megagames shareware on a 486 than I ever did with the other computers I've owned.

If I was limited to just 8 bit computers, I would have gone with the Spectrum. I never owned one until recently, but it has such a large library of creative unique games. So many brilliant games came out of the UK in that error, it's a shame they spent the Amiga era trying (unsuccessfully) to make Sonic the Hedgehog ripoffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There's nothing wrong with loving Epic or Apogee or DOS in general. I mean hell - I grew up with a 286 Tandy rocking all the gold box D&D games with friends in middle school.

Speccy IS an awesome piece of computing and I'd love to get one. Seems so tricky being able to get one shipped here though, even though it's so small.

Amiga platformers did try to chase the hedgehog a bit there. There's a few though that are pure ingenuity - one I love to mention is Harlequin. That game is so badass and non-linear.
    -AB+

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What kills you on importing a Spectrum is the power brick. They're pretty heavy! When I bought mine, I told the guy not to bother shipping in and I made my own power adapter. The Amstrad made Spectrum /2 just needs +5 volts to work.

I'll have to check out Harlequin. Every hyped Amiga platformer I've tried has been pretty awful, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dos, no hesitation at all! It is what I grew up with.

We got a 486 at the start of the 90s and it was amazing. All my friends had an NES but I could play all those cool VGA games from Epic and Apogee! Never got a console until 1997 or 98 (an NES and Genesis) but dangit we had Dos and Windows! So much fun, and when it got old you could upgrade (usually! Memory and compatibility problems were all over). Caught up nowadays with new consoles and handhelds and all that mess, but always a PC gamer at heart.

If I had to pick another on merit... Probably C64. Just so much potential was tapped with that thing it is amazing. The Amiga too though, both lovely platforms. But the PC... Sorry, first loves, you know?
    PC Game Collector - DOS and beyond

Lazy Game Reviews

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I can let DOS go, but is anyone else just slightly bugged by the fact that Win 98 is included on a retro computer list? I mean, I was still using it on my main computer untill just a few years ago.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

I prefer DOS.

Tandy 1000 series all the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I can let DOS go, but is anyone else just slightly bugged by the fact that Win 98 is included on a retro computer list? I mean, I was still using it on my main computer untill just a few years ago.
    only reason I went up to Win98 in that category is, well, it's the last one to have a DOS-like setup where you could run DOS programs inside it. I use Win98 basically to be a GUI for a DOS laptop for my dos games.

3.1 really could be it's own inclusion, since there's a 2 year period where games HAD to have 3.1 running in order to be used.
    -AB+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

3.1 really could be it's own inclusion, since there's a 2 year period where games HAD to have 3.1 running in order to be used.
    And 3.1 is actually a DOS program in itself. 95 and up were not.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I feel bad voting DOS since it's pretty much all I've had software to and owned machines running it. The C64 I have only has Apollo 18 and that's not enough to win against hundreds of complete titles I've played under DOS. It's just easier to find games for DOS too and has always been available to me, so it is my favorite until otherwise.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

I always laughed at my friend when he bought an Amiga off ebay and was like NOW I CAN PLAY WONDERDOG !

I showed him how I had it and some other platformers from Amiga for the Sega CD and he did a facepalm.

Something about Amiga that always bothered me is some of the music. Especially anything using synthy cello sounds. They always sound bad. Tetris (the a500 pack in one) has some of the dopiest music I have ever heard.

some of the other stuff on the other hand, is ass kickin' (Agony, SoTB, Amberstar)

when I think retro computer, I think non-PC like one. All the custom chip machines that are built into the keyboard

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hardly. I wouldn't say there were fewer DOS games than Windows 3.1 games up until the release of Windows 95. (The most elaborate Windows 3.1 game I can think of is SimCity 2000 - and even that had a DOS port.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All of the choices in the poll are pretty solid, although I kneejerk-voted for the "other" category. That one really counts as another DOS / Win9x vote, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked the atari 8-bit, since i have been having great times with my 130XE latelly. Awesome machine...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I voted C-64. It was my first computer and where I learned to program. Plus, it seemed more like a game system that most other computers. I used Apple ]['s in school off and on but not too many fond memories with it.

I also had a TRS-80 that I used quite a bit for learning to programming as well, but it wasn't the one most people are familiar with, it was one of these ugly guys...

My computer lab in Jr. High had about 20 of the TRS-80's. And we all couldn't wait to stay after school and play with them. Our lab always stayed open a couple hours after school and the lab was always packed.

As for the poll, the Apple II line got my vote. I loved my IIc.