Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post up your DOS gaming machine!

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have a question. whats a good all around graphics card for early 90's or earlier dos gameing? it seems that the voodoo cards are popular for late 90's stuff but what about older games?

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anything before 1995 would only use/need a 2D card.

But I honestly can't remember if the 486/66 I used way back when even had a dedicated video card. I think it was whatever was built in.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*casts raise dead*

well at this point i have a few dos machines but there all in storage. i do have a main one out i just finished building though for most of my DOS needs.

(yhea its a bad pic, all i have is my phone)

DOS 6.22
    intel 66mhtz 486 with heatsink/fan
    CD-rom drive, 1.44MB 3 1/2 inch FDD, 1.2 MB 5 1/4 FDD
    500MB HDD
    32 MB ram
    diamond speedster pro 1MB VLB video card
    sound blaster 16 paired with a roland MT-32
    HP flat screen CRT monitor
    Last edited by Soviet Conscript; 06-23-2011 at 02:12 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will have to take some pics when I get around to it but I have just finished building a killer Windows 98 Pentium II. Unfortunately I have not gotten my 386 PC's in full glory yet so they won't run games properly but here are the specs for my PII

I got the case from the Salvation Army with a screwed up P166 in it and scrapped it, it's a Campus brand (very rare brand at that)

The new board is a

Dual Cartridge based 333mhz Pentium II processor (it was originally from a server and I got it for free from a customer at work)
    Ram: 896MB out of the possible 1GB
    Sound Blaster Live Audio Card
    I don't remember the video card
    PS2 and USB mouse and keyboard
    Windows 98j original
    3.2GB hard drive plus a secondary 40GB Maxtor Drive
    3.5 inch floppy drive
    Wireless Network Linksys adapter for getting online.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Insert Coin (Level 0) lauraleebm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm in love with your computer Soviet Conscript!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd put mine in a retro case like that, but they're usually pretty heavy. My ultimate goal is to rebuild my DOS rig with a micro-ATX board and find a small desktop-style mATX case for it. Right now, my DOS rig is in my old Antec Super Lan Boy, and the door broke off years ago. Good airflow and very light, but it's still bigger than I'd like my retro rig to be.

I know there's some mATX boards that meet my requirements (AGP and ISA). but they're kinda expensive.

Edit: I like this one.
    Last edited by NayusDante; 07-04-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I first started my PC experience with a 386dx33 that I had from 92 to 95, then went straight to a P75, then a couple years later going to a P2 266, etc. One big gaming moment I remember is getting my P75 upgraded from 8mb ram to 16mb and getting to see Primal Rage run at max settings (it has an 8mb ram option and 16mb ram option).

Anyhow, I don't have those machines anymore, so I bought this P75 off ebay several years back. My old P75 had a nice Diamond Stealth 64 with, I think, a 1 or 2mb ram upgrade on it, but this one has a Diamond Stealth S3 Trio32. I've also got my original Sound Blaster 16 installed that I purchased back in my 386 days. I paid about $500 for a kit in like 1993/94 that Creative made that came with a Sound Blaster 16, a 2x CD drive, and a bunch of crappy kids games and educational-type software. The third card installed is a Roland MPU-IPC card, and attached to that is a Roland MT-32. I've got 64mb ram installed in this beast, but the motherboard can only see up to like 48/50mb.

Last edited by beigemore; 08-29-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

• Pentium 133
    • 64 MB RAM
    • ATI Mach 64 + Voodoo 2
    • Soundblaster 16 + Roland MT-32
    • Two 1GB Fujitsu Hard Drives
    • 3.5" A drive, 5.25" B drive, and of course a CD-ROM
    • MS-DOS 6.22 + Windows for Workgroups 3.11

I have a boot menu set up so I can choose between different memory configurations and driver setups. Using QEMM, I have 634k free conventional memory... for things that don't work with QEMM, I have an EMM386 setup that gives me 602k free. Honestly, pretty much anything will work with 602k free, but I've always felt a bit of pride at getting the most free conventional memory possible.

I have an AWE64 and a Gravis Ultrasound sitting around... I've always wanted to put one of those in and see how it goes (Keeping the SB16 for compatibility). The GUS requires 2 IRQ's though, which is a bit difficult to accommodate.

There are also a few other odd cards in there, like a huge ISA card for my Atari Portfolio card reader, a USB card, and an ethernet card. I still haven't gotten networking going properly in DOS, but it's never been a big priority. I had USB working enough to read mass storage devices, but the drivers eat up a ton of memory.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    The GUS requires 2 IRQ's though, which is a bit difficult to accommodate.
    Disable the onboard serial and parallel ports and it would become substantially easier, if you haven't considered that. (Unless you're dead set on printing on this ancient machine along with everything else.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Instead of this P75 I've got, I'd really like to get something like a 485dx4/120 for dedicated DOS gaming, and then like a P3 800 running Win98SE for older Win9x games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Um, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_DX4 says the DX4 topped out at 100 MHz.

And I really can't fathom what advantages a DX4 would have over a P75.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AMD produced at 120, while Intel's max was 100. It is mentioned in both of these articles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80486
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am486

I'd rather have a high end 486 as it's better for DOS gaming. They're better for underclocking for slower games. The 485dx4/120 has an FSB of 40mhz with a multiplier of 3, while the P75 has an FSB of 50mhz and a multiplier of 1.5. The Pentiums are just faster CPU's in general, too.

The only two DOS games I can think of that actually need more than that would be Quake or Battlespire... with Battlespire recommending a P133. At that point, you might as well just go straight to something like a high end Pentium 2 400/450 with Win98SE, or maybe even a P3.

I think there are a few "optimal" computers for different gaming eras. For very, very old games, you'd want a 286. I personally don't play PC games older than around '88-90, unless it's some kind of major release or is really a decent game (old King's Quest or Space Quest games). Once games start needing the power of a 386, going with a high end 486 or a very low end P75 is the better option -- with my preference leaning toward a 486, as you now know. Beyond that, you get into Win9x territory, so you might as well go with a P2 or P3, and depending on if you plan on doing anything DOS related, decide on a PCI or ISA soundcard, but I think that's better left to a dedicated DOS computer (or DOSBox, even). Then there's Windows XP, which you could go as high end as you want since it's still supported by most new hardware.

Also, I purchased a GUS off eBay a few years ago but it turned out to be a dud. Everyone sells those things as untested because they either really aren't tested, or they just don't work and they want to make a few bucks and say they didn't know. I haven't tried my luck again, but would like to sometime in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

My DOS gaming box is a Dell Latitude XPi P133ST. 32MB of RAM, 800MB hard drive. Has an ESS 1887 (yeah, yeah, its a laptop) for sound, which does what needs to be done for older DOS games. My favorite part is the trackball... its optical! From the '90s!
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by beigemore View Post
    AMD produced at 120, while Intel's max was 100. It is mentioned in both of these articles.
    Huh, and they still called it a DX4. That's not confusing at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by beigemore View Post
    I'd rather have a high end 486 as it's better for DOS gaming. They're better for underclocking for slower games.
    In that case I reckon you'd want a case with a turbo button (and an appropriate motherboard).
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 08-31-2011 at 08:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post
    Huh, and they still called it a DX4. That's not confusing at all.
    DX denotes a math coprocessor. SX processors did not include this (see: 487 mathco). 4 denotes the clock multiplier.

an *X4 proc at 25MHz bus speed will render a 100MHz processor. 30MHz gives 120MHz and so on.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post
    Disable the onboard serial and parallel ports and it would become substantially easier, if you haven't considered that. (Unless you're dead set on printing on this ancient machine along with everything else.)
    I use the serial port for my mouse, and I use the parallel port for a C-64 drive interface cable... so disabling those is out of the question (I use the 1541 far more often than I'd use the GUS).

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pentium 200MMX with 96MB of RAM and a Voodoo card. It's kinda awesome for games like Blood, Duke Nukem 3D, Carmageddon, Quake 1/2, Rollercoaster Tycoon etc.

Insert Coin (Level 0) jwmollman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread is great!

My DOS computer is an old PowerSpec PC my dad used to use as a really basic shop computer where he would enter data when working on cars. I cleaned it up really well and replaced some parts in it. It originally had a bare install of Windows 98, but I reformatted it and installed FreeDOS. I think this computer was a budget model from about 1998.

Monitor:
    - An old 15in Packard Bell monitor

Computer:
    - PowerSpec PC (old yellow/white coloring)
    - Intel Celeron @ 366MHz
    - 64MB of SDRAM
    - 8MB onboard SIS graphics chip
    - a standard internal PC-speaker that outputs on the front of the case
    - 3GB IDE hard drive
    - a 52X CDROM drive
    - 3.5in floppy disk drive
    - one empty PCI slot
    - one empty ISA slot
    - some tiny, crappy ethernet card (the size of a quarter) that hooks up in the back near the PCI slot and then connects to the motherboard with some four-pin connector
    - one basic case fan on the front that glows green

I just leave the cover off. It's such a small computer and not much is going on. The system doesn't even get hot anyway.

My friend gave me an old Compaq ProLinea II (I think that's what it was called). It had a 486DX processor I think, with about 32MB of RAM (possibly less). It had a 150MB hard drive (not sure on that). I remember trying to get the hard drive to work and I was messing with the jumpers. Once I plugged it in and turned the system on, the hard drive sparked and smoked a bit. Now I don't even have a hard drive for that computer anymore. I think it used older connections than IDE.
    Last edited by jwmollman; 09-25-2011 at 10:32 PM.