Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Best of the Sega Genesis system... trying to prove it was better than the SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    OlieTheGoalie1
    Steam
    Vrikkgwj

Default The Best of the Sega Genesis system... trying to prove it was better than the SNES.

Now, I love my SNES. I still say it’s the greatest system in existence besides the PSX. However, I know that a lot of people said back when I was in elementary/middle school that the Genesis was superior. I think they are insane, but maybe I’m biased. For my money there is no better combination of games such as Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi’s Island, Secret of Mana, and Mega Man X.

Prove me wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 10-23-2009 at 01:11 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's all subjective; no one is going to "prove you wrong." I owned both systems back in the day and love them for very different reasons, but prefer Genesis.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by vrikkgwj View Post
    Now, I love my SNES. I still say it’s the greatest system in existence besides the PSX. However, I know that a lot of people said back when I was in elementary/middle school that the Genesis was superior. I think they are insane, but maybe I’m biased. For my money there is no better combination of games such as Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi’s Island, Secret of Mana, and Mega Man X.

Caution long polite ramble due to aftermath of sugar rush from eating unhealthy food
    Prove me wrong.
    We are ALL biased in one way or another

To me, it is like comparing apples and oranges. Both systems had some killer games, exclusives, strengths, and weaknesses. I too owned and still own the "16 bit wars" systems(including the TG-16), and there are arguments for all three being the best.

I can say with complete honesty that although I am both a huge Sega and Nintendo fan, the SNES has held up quite well, as is quickly becomming one of my favorite top five video game systems to PLAY. I love both systems equally and feel that both were neck and neck back in the day for totally different reasons. Either system has a great library of over 700 games that would keep anyone busy.

Now, back to the question at hand. There was a window of time there that the Genesis was the best selling video game system in the US. To me it was an edgier system, one that catered to more an adult audience, as well as having some amazing arcade and sports titles for the time. The Phantasy Star Series and Shining Force Series also was played very heavily with me and my friends. Rennovation labled games also were in high demant at my house(Gain Ground, El Viento, Master of Monsters) With that being said, some of its strengths were also its weaknesses. Becasue it was an amazing system for sports titles, everyone and their mom was making sports titles for it. Also, every company seemed to be trying to duplicate the success of Sonic, so there also was a ridcioulous amount of average platform mascots on the system as well. I have my Sega CD/32X combo hooked up, with a Genesis 6-pak cart in it at all times. Golden Axe is the most played game at my house.

What the Snes lacked in processor speed it made up with color and overall more polished quality to many first party titles. Titles like Super Mario World, Zelda, Metroid, among other great exclusives were very well done, holding up today in terms of varied gameplay, length, and replay value. The Snes is the system that I see my wife always asking about, and one that I would play more when I am in family settings.

I will not prove you wrong becasue in some ways you are right. The Genesis was not equal to the Snes, in some ways it was flat out better(processing speed, arcade style gameplay), and in other ways it was much worse(graphics, and the dreaded god awful sound)

While the Genesis did have a "window of time" in which it was on top, I feel that honestly the Snes has aged more graceully...but I still play my Sega and consider them both on par for different reasons.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Because SEGA did what Nintendidn't i.e. copius amounts of Gore and less censorship. The Genesis was definitely the edgier console and was better for it I think. The SNES did somewhat more colorful graphics plus Nintendo's name and I think the last one was really what made it succeed in the long run not to mention Sega fragmenting their market so much with the CD/32X. I enjoyed them both but I preferred my Genny for the most part
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The Genesis has manlier games. More sports, more shooters, more arcade action, etc. The SNES has more lighthearted, colorful, family-friendly games and also more games that make you stop and think (RPGs, strategy, etc.) as opposed to the more visceral Genesis library.

They're both great in their own ways.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k7nsBoqJ6s8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k7nsBoqJ6s8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You can't do Michael Jackson's Moonwalker on SNES.

Insert Coin (Level 0) MissingNo_1231's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For my money there is no better combination of games such as Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi’s Island, Secret of Mana, and Mega Man X.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. SNES is my favorite system ever, and Donkey Kong Country is my favorite video game ever. I also love DKC2, Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, and the SNES version of Aladdin is the best in my opinion.

I love the Genesis too, but it's just not as good for me.
    Wild MissingNo. Has Appeared!

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i just really disliked the genesis back during the "16-bit" wars. i'm not a nintendo fanboy at all but being an rpg guy and someone just as unlikely to play a sports video game as i am to acually play the sport i found the genesis library horrible and the colors very drab compaired to the snes.

that being said the genesis has acually grown on me quite a bit in the last few years especially with my discovery of alot of great games i didn't know exsisted for the system back in the early 90's.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Turbo Grafx...left out again...

I loved my TG. But yeah the SNES...if I HAD to choose.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my SNES was my mario system
    and my Genesis was my NHL system (and my games consist mainly of sports titles, 26 of 59 titles are sports)

i played stanley cup on SNES and i almost threw up on my system
    when i played NHL on the SNES my friends would beat me, mainly because of the controller, but if they played me on the Gen i beat them because of the controller
    i dont really like the SNES controller and most of the controllers that followed on other systems that took that same design .. ugh pretty much all of them right?

oh and i bought the TG16 before the 2 listed above just because they had a Hockey game were you could have many people on the same team, then NHL came out months after i bought the tg16, and my tg16 turned into my Bonk/Pinball/Tennis system

but my Genesis has been hooked up since i got it, and my SNES has only been hooked up for maybe 2 years total since 1993ish
    Last edited by Lemmi_Is_God; 10-23-2009 at 03:46 PM.
    Join the 3DO Chat here -- http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Prove me wrong.
    Honestly, why do you care ??

Can't you just be happy with your SNES or whatever system you play on ??

I played both systems when they were released and i spent much more time with my SNES because GENESIS had POOR SUPPORT in Mexico.

I remember too many great games for both consoles but ALTERED BEAST and ZELDA ALTTP were pretty impressive games.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both have a equal amount of bad ass titles really Im sure if you had to do the hard math and went looking on both systems, but in the end you have to choose what suits you best. Graphically though I do got to toss in, composite out hurt the Genesis visually for me, as Snes composite was at least pretty good and able to provide better clarity. If you use s-video or RGB with your Genesis, that tends to really show the games graphics off a lot better, and shows the Genesis wasn't all that weak visually with color and detail.

Picking between the two, I will always pick the Genesis. Genesis got games, or ports of games, that I like to play more then Snes did. Off the top of my head these are some of them.
    The Terminator
    Streets of Rage series
    Splatterhouse 2-3
    Golden Axe 1-2
    Rambo 3
    TMNT Hyperstone Heist
    Mercs
    Shinobi 3
    Traysia
    Thunderforce series
    Shadow Dancer
    Double Dragon
    Robocop vs Terminator
    Castlevania Bloodlines
    Time Killers
    Road Blasters
    Pit Fighter
    Outrun
    Whip Rush
    Ranger X
    Gaiares
    Sol Deace
    Ys3
    Exile
    Valis 1,3, Syd
    Final Zone
    Wonder Boy in Monster World
    Mega Turrican
    Vapor Trail
    Air Buster
    Atomic Robo Kid
    Twin Cobra
    Altered Beast
    Fatal Fury
    Super Street Fighter 2
    Sonic 2
    Gunstar Heroes
    Strider
    Eternal Champions
    Lethal Enforcers
    Gain Ground
    Smash Tv
    Viewpoint
    Phantasy Star 2-4
    I cant even think of that many Snes titles Im die hard for honestly (though Im sure others can).

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was on Sega's side during the 16-bit wars and, although I have a SNES now and love it, the Genny (Mega Drive here) still has the most special place in my heart. What it didn't do in graphics or sound, it compensated in fun and creativity. You would never see games like Haunting starring Poulterguy or Chakan on the SNES and that's what I love about the Sega system.

P.S.:For Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi’s Island, Secret of Mana, and Mega Man X, I give you Kid Chameleon, Toejam and Earl, Sonic 2, Road Rash and Gunstar Heroes.
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Europe

By 1992 Nintendo had sold 2 million NES in Europe (source: Game Over). Kinda pathetic.

In 1990 Sega came with Mega Drive, had arcade-like games on offer, and conquered.

SNES? What SNES?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I also own both. Back then, and still today, i to like the Genesis better than the Snes.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Be a winner. Use both and forget they are 'rivals'. They are both methods of playing games, and just enjoy them for that.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I had the Genesis first back then, but was never a Nintendo loyalist. But I simply had to have the Super NES after seeing Super Mario World, Mario Kart, and many of the other "Super" titles. I have a decent amount of games for both systems now. The SNES had better console games, full, complete games, from start to finish. The Genesis had the arcade fun, as well as the better multiplayer games. Madden, NHL, NBA Jam, Toe Jam, Sonic 2, General Chaos, we played all the time. More people had the Genesis. Hard for me to pick a favorite. The SNES was the superior system in nearly every way, but the Genesis is more fun.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I had a Genesis and a SNES that I bought back in 1991, even objectively, I don't think you'll find a majority toward the Genesis. I think it was close, but the SNES was better overall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just fyi, this month's retro gamer has a feature about the nomad and includes the best of the mega drive.