Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Best of the Sega Genesis system... trying to prove it was better than the SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You already know what I am going to say, but the array of games on the genny was awesome.

I actually got a genny from my parents before a snes. This was before I was a Sega fanboy. I actually wanted a SNES. Well, I remember playing Sonic when I was a kid, and since then I have never looked back. I did actually start my genny playing when Sonic 2 came out, not Sonic 1.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a Sega guy. I love my NES, but I went Sega with the Genesis.

About the only thing I can think of to say in this "debate" is that (IMO) the Genesis can replicate explosion sounds better than the SNES. Both "Super Mario World" and "Batman Returns" have anemic, flat sounding explosions.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm in love. <3

I just picked up a sega about a month ago after finding my old one under the stairs lost and forgotten and about the darker shade of the NES with mildew.
    I had fogotten how many awesome titles there were gens only, but I don't have to tell you that.
    Closet Monsters: Custom and Retro Game Plushies Obesolete.etsy.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both are great systems, but I definitely prefer Genesis. Genesis seems to be superior for all kinds of action games (platformers, shooters, run and guns, beat 'em ups, etc.). And I don't mean the hardware, I mean the library selection. Shooters in particular, SNES only has a few worth talking about, whereas Genesis has an excellent lineup (as does the Turbo). In general, Genesis seems to be home to more challenging games, which I prefer. A lot of SNES games are too easy. SNES is better for RPGs, but not by a huge margin -- SNES has more of my absolute favorites, but for total RPGs worth playing, they're almost equal. It would've been a huge margin, if every RPG in Japan had come over, but looking at just US releases, SNES doesn't have so huge of an advantage (Mega Drive wasn't so popular in Japan, and consequently it has few Japan-only RPGs). I also don't like censorship, but that's a whole can of worms.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seriously, there is no reason you shouldn't be playing BOTH systems. You want some games to play on Genny? Here you go:

Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles
    Phantasy Star 2-4
    Shining Force 1 & 2
    Shining in the Darkness
    Rocket Knight Adventure
    Shadowrun
    Master of Monsters
    Road Rash
    MUSHA
    Ristar
    Landstalker
    Beyond Oasis
    Crusader of Centy
    Warriors of the Eternal Sun
    Sorcerer's Kingdom
    Ecco The Dolphin & Tides of Time
    Dune II
    Buck Rogers
    Arcus Odyssey
    Alisia Dragoon
    Splatterhouse 2 & 3
    Streets of Rage 1-3
    Mortal Kombat
    Wonderboy in Monster World
    Castlevania: Bloodlines
    Wardner
    Ghouls & Ghosts
    Wings of Wor
    Golden Axe I & II
    Ghostbusters
    Dynamite Headdy
    Gunstar Heroes
    Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
    Fantasia
    Syd of Valis
    Primal Rage
    Contra: Hard Corps
    Shinobi series
    Toejam & Earl
    TMNT Hyperstone Heist
    Wiz N Liz
    Herzog Zwei
    Rings of Power

And this isn't counting games for the Sega CD.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Genny > TG16 > SNES

That's my preference, and I loves me some SNES. 16bit era was the win/win/win era of console gaming IMO. SNES really lags for me because the shmups are so hit or miss... Mostly miss.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I'm a SNES fan plain and simple. My brother had a Genesis, yet he would constantly take my SNES out of my room as I was sleeping and it would be a constant battle for years to come. The only games that the Genesis had that I would love to play were Streets of Rage, Sonic 2, Ren and Stimpy and Quack Attack, other than that I didn't care much for the system. I discovered over the years that I simply hate the Genesis sound chip and it would sometimes ruin a game for me, which is strange because I'm normally never that picky about that kind of thing, but to each their own I guess.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Imo, the SNES was the better of the two, but the Genesis gave it a good run for its money. However, I do think it topped the SNES when it came to shmups and sports titles.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IMO the Mega Drive is the better of the two, with franchises such as Sonic, Phantasy Star and Thunder Force being key titles. I also like the soundchips better than the one in the SNES, and the Mega-CD add-on which has many, many more awesome titles and another dimension of game design (no, not FMV!). Still, I played a lot of SNES in the childhood and enjoyed some titles quite a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the sound chip in the genesis was fantastic, but it was a straight up 8 bit synthesizer, it didnt do sound samples very well, and it didnt do midi-type orchestra sounds. the snes on the other hand didnt do hard-edged sounds well.

basically, for either system to sound great, the music had to be written for the particular sound chip. you dont write symphonies for a three piece punk band, and you dont have orchestras play techno music. that is what happened too often with third party genesis games, company x had a game that was going to be released for the genesis and snes, and generic music was written to be played on both systems. more often than not, it sounded bad on the genesis due to the lack of orchestration. but if music was written for the genesis specifically, it kicked ass. listen to the music in the sonic series, streets of rage series, toejam and earl, and other sega exclusives and the music is catchy and great, these pieces would sound like mud on the snes.

the other often overlooked advantage the genesis had over the snes was the controls. you can debate endlessly on personal taste of button layouts, but the genesis had tighter controls. action games on the snes often have just the slightest lag between a button press and the corresponding action on the screen. notice how hard you press the dpad down on an snes controller during an intense session of gaming, a natural reaction to a slight action delay is to press on the button or dpad harder, with the genesis this doesnt happen as often. this has to do with hardware and programming. the tight/loose controls are a function of tight coding. eugene jarvis spent over a month tinkering with the controls of robotron 2084 to get the controls as tight as possible, so blaming the joystick after death would never be an option.

but i am with the majority on this board and will say both systems are great, and they really complimented each other quite well. newer generations of systems really do not differ that much from one another. but as a gamer that appreciates actions games as much as rpgs and adventures, the genesis is a great system that has distinct advantages over the snes.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Heavy preference for the Genesis here. I love the SNES, but mainly for it's awesome selection of RPG's, a handful of arcade conversions, and a select few 1st party games.

If I want a great variety of action, shooters, platformers, etc.; the Genesis is my go-to machine.

For the "16-bit" era, my preference is GENESIS, SNES, TG16...in that order.

OH yeah. The 6 button Genesis controller beats the snot out of the SNES pad ANY day of the week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of all of the games listed, I do not see General Chaos listed.

That is up there with the Sonic games. It is absolute badass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    OlieTheGoalie1
    Steam
    Vrikkgwj

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post
    Of all of the games listed, I do not see General Chaos listed.

That is up there with the Sonic games. It is absolute badass
    Agreed! I actually own General Chaos complete in box. The game rocked so hard.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The SNES owned the Genesis, however the Genesis is an awesome system and no doubt has a ton of great games.

One thing about the Genesis is that it seemed there were far more first party titles than Nintendo had on their systems. Nearly all their first party titles are great games.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
    OH yeah. The 6 button Genesis controller beats the snot out of the SNES pad ANY day of the week.
    Yub yub, also the wireless OEM Sega 6 button pads are really great. It was the Wavebird of the nineties.

I always preferred Genny over SNES versions of SF2 because of them. SNES sticks had weird button layouts for the most part (2-over 4-under).

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    the sound chip in the genesis was fantastic, but it was a straight up 8 bit synthesizer, it didnt do sound samples very well, and it didnt do midi-type orchestra sounds. the snes on the other hand didnt do hard-edged sounds well.
    This is true. SNES did some stuff well, but for pure techno-type stuff...the SNES couldn't pull through.

I really don't think the SNES could do bass as well as the Genesis (and not just for explosions). Streets of Rage Level 6 (the factory) has some wicked bass that I don't think I've ever heard an SNES game do.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It just comes down to preference. Never got those who tried to "prove" one was better than the other. Both systems have high and low marks, but mostly high ones. Which system one likes better is up to that individual. Sharing the love is cool, trying to convince others your opinion is the end-all, be-all truth though is not too cool.

Bottom line, play what you like. Why waste time trying to prove others?

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why does nobody bring up Mystic Defender for the Genesis? Awesome game which was a sequel to an amazing Master System game, Spell Caster! Awesome stuff on the Genesis. Castlevania Blood Lines comes to mind also.

Insert Coin (Level 0) timewarpgamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Very provocative topic...

I used to be hardcore Genesis/Mega Drive ra ra ra! The years have tempered me, though. Now, I look back on the infamous 16-bit console wars and two things are evident: 1) It's amazing that the TurboGrafx-16 died so young outside of Japan, and 2) It's incredible that the Genesis put up such a great fight against the technically superior SNES. That said, I still dearly love my Genesis and here's my list of top Genny games:

http://timewarpgamer.com/topgames/gen.html
    I run TimeWarpGamer, dedicated to 8/16-bit retro gaming. I'm also on Twitter, which is ideal for following the latest retro updates.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by timewarpgamer View Post
    That said, I still dearly love my Genesis and here's my list of top Genny games:

http://timewarpgamer.com/topgames/gen.html
    Strider is Capcom, but it was ported over to the Genesis and published for the Genesis by Sega. You only listed Capcom. I'd say Sega deserves more credit for the Genesis version since they're the only ones who did anything with it. Either that or Sega/Capcom under developer.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.