Thread: Getting stereo sound from X'eye + 32X

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Getting stereo sound from X'eye + 32X

I just got a 32X today, but to add to the fun, I only have a Genesis 3 and X'eye -- I don't have either of the basic Genesis models. To add to that, I don't have a stereo A/V cable for the 32X, since it just comes with a mono cable (wtf, Sega?). I got around this by hooking the video line from the 32X to the TV, and using the standard stereo output from the X'eye for the sound.

My question is, will I miss any 32X audio by doing this? It works great with Genesis games, but I'm not sure if there's any audio that the 32X adds that doesn't get passed back through the base unit's audio out. I don't have any 32X games yet to compare with (and on top of that, I think there are differences between games on whether they use the 32X's audio hardware anyway, right?)
    [SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.retroreviewproject.com"]The Retro Review Project[/URL][/SIZE]

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From wikipedia:

"The 32X employs two PWM sound channels and are mixed through the audio lines of the main system's cartridge port"

and, "Although the 32X could theoretically produce sound on par with the Super NES, the difficulty of programming the sound system combined with the generally rushed nature of most 32X games meant that the system's improved audio capabilities mostly went unused."

So, it sounds like your connection method should be fine. Back when I owned a 32X, I had it connected to a Genesis 2 and used the supplied mono cable until I got a Sega CD 2, from then on I used the stereo RCA outputs on the Sega CD. I didn't notice any changes in the sound (except the upgrade from mono to stereo, of course ).