Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Default MMMC - Intrepid

OK, I'm still pretty sick (hooray pneumonia!) but I didn't want to let this go another week, so throwing numbers into the random number generator... it spits out Intrepid. An interesting looking 1983 game by NOVA. You have to break into the embassy, steal a whole bunch of stuff, and get out safely. I've played a quick round, and this seems to be a toughy! I'm sure though, that someone will have some tips as to how to best run through this game.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8197

If you're new to the MAME Club, welcome! Here are the rules:

Club Rules

01. You do not need to sign up for the club. If you want to participate, simply download the game of the week and post about it!

02. At the end of the week, I will randomly select a game from a list of nominations.

03. The current MAME Club Pick of the Week can be found every Monday stickied at the top of the Arcade Alley.

Need the ROM?

ROM will be hosted by Flack at http://www.robohara.com/mameclub/

Need help with MAME? Go ahead and ask, just realize we do have the right to mock you a bit though

All right, there we go. Let's pump some life back into the MAME Club!

Previous MMMC games: Jump Coaster, Rampart, Jungler, Ninja Emaki, Port Man, Psycho Soldier, Metamoqester, Gunbarich, Sengoku (series), Snacks'n Jackson, Metro-Cross, Moon Shuttle, The Real Ghostbusters, Moonwalker, Black Widow, Kid Niki, Joust 2, Super Contra, Shoot-Out, Raiden, Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Dead Connection, Gate of Doom, The Outfoxies, Popeye, Baseball Stars 2.
    Last edited by scooterb23; 11-02-2009 at 09:28 PM.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I added this one to the list some time ago. It's sort of a cross between Elevator Action and Venture. I'll have to make sure I find time to see if it's still as fun as I remember.

This list of items off Klov should come in pretty useful for playing the game though...

You must find several items by searching each room on floors one through four. The items you will need are:

An umbrella - required to allow you to escape from the top of the building.
    A key - needed to open the locked door on the fifth floor.
    A tool - used to break the elevator so that the guards will not be able to exit the building and capture you when you escape.
    An ID card - turns off the electric floor in front of the safe.
    A disguise - needed to get past the guard in the fifth floor room.
    A map - helps you find your way.
    A safe combination - needed to open the safe containing the secret plans.
    High-speed jet boots - lets you run faster so you can avoid the guards.
    Last edited by jb143; 10-26-2009 at 05:48 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Thanks for adding that. I was going to, but forgot it. And yeah, it was added to the list a long time ago. There are several that have been on the list even longer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

OK, I got a chance to play tonight and the best I was able to do was getting to mission 3 with a score of 20620. Is anyone else trying or did I pick a dud? It always seemed like the older games got the better responses so that's why I picked it.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I don't think it's a dud. I know many players don't get going til later in the week. I'm still having much trouble concentrating thanks to my illness, plus my sister is getting married on Saturday...so chaos is reigning here anyway. But I *should* have a couple hours to give it tomorrow.

So far I haven't made it out of a single room alive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    So far I haven't made it out of a single room alive.
    The best way is to wait for all 3 of the guards to enter the room and try to avoid them while heading for the door. Otherwise they'll come in while your trying to leave or be waiting for you once your out. You could almost add pacman to the list of games it feels like a cross of because it plays a bit like that when in the room.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's interesting that you don't have just 3 lives. I got 12,450 on my first play. Got struck by the lightning bolt on the second mission to end things. A bit strange that my score was adjusted to an even 10K at the end of the first mission, almost as if the stage score didn't count (I find it hard to believe I ran the bonus timer down so that adding it would get me exactly to 10K).

The lightning bolt reminds me of Glitch from Mathman (on Square One Television). I have the feeling I've MAMEd this one before; it seems familiar. Game has a good sense of humor.

Not a dud in my view, but also perhaps not the game an operator would want running as games are long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Talking

Update: 48,500 points, made it to Mission 005. A bit easy if you know what order to hit the rooms in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Beat my score. I guess I shall have to try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Not a dud in my view, but also perhaps not the game an operator would want running as games are long.
    It does seem to play more like an old C64 game or something than an arcade game. I think that's one of the reasons I like it. I had actually never heard of it until I saw someone selling the cabinet on craiglist a few months ago and checked it out on mame because it sounded intersting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Honestly, it didn't take me very many tries at all to realize how to approach 50K. The game is broken in a few respects, unfortunately. The base mechanic of running away from the goose steppers remains intact though, and that's fun