Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torchlight: the best Diablo clone ever?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Torchlight: the best Diablo clone ever?

In my book, yes. A big, big yes. In fact, if this was Diablo III I would only be slightly disappointed. It's made by a lot of the guys that worked on the first two Diablo games, so it's not surprising how similar it is. And by similar, I mean it's practically identical in a lot of ways, right down to keyboard shortcuts.

I don't have time to do a full write-up, but here are some awesome things I've encountered so far.

-You have a pet that can hold items. That's pretty cool, but the real bonus is that you can send it to town at almost any time to sell items for you. That's got to be the best idea for an action-rpg I've heard in a long time. That means no more backtracking to town to sell gear, and no more "this or that" mini-game when a new drop won't fit in your inventory. It's amazing.

-I don't know how often this one occurs, but I get the feeling it's rare. I encountered a little monster called a Phase Beast mixed in with a bunch of skeletons. Upon killing the beast a portal was opened. Through the portal was a new mini dungeon with monsters that were twice the level of the monsters I'd been fighting. Not only does this bring a nice challenge, but it also means you're going to get some very nice drops and experience.

-Guns. This is kind of a fantasy-meets-steampunk game, which means you can use bows as well as guns for distant attacks. This has been great fun, as my Destroyer uses a rare rifle until the enemy gets close and then fast-swaps to dual wield two swords.

-The drop rate is perfect. This is a lootfest, and the quickest way to ruin a game like this is to mess up the drops (looking at you Too Human). You'll get a decent amount of gold and normal drops, and unique monsters will routinely drop magical items. Sprinkled in there you'll get some rares, and if you're really lucky you'll find a unique or a set item. I've played for four or five hours and have only found one set item and three uniques. The rate isn't quite as stingy as Diablo 2, but it's very close.

-This game has very low system requirements (it's even got a netbook mode). I'm playing it on a six year old 2.8ghz HP with only 512 mb of RAM and an integrated graphics card. So basically, a piece of crap. But Torchlight runs on it. Not well, but well enough for me to have put about four hours into it. I can't wait to get my new iMac home next week so I can really play.

-$20. That's the price. That will mean alot more to you after you've played the game and seen how good it is (check out the great demo). Right now it's only available through Steam and the like, but they are hoping to release a physical version early next year.

So, does anyone else have thoughts on this game?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Mr. Gimmick's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds really cool! I am a huge diablo fan so i will definately check this out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the writeup I will probably get this when the retail version comes out.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of Runic Games are X-Blizzard so a little of what made Diablo II great will show in this game.

I just wish it had multiplayer. To omit that one thing is a big downer imho.

Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

its not a bad game. i prefer titan quest for the multiplayer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not the looker Diablo III will be, but I like the gameplay description, and especially the pet. Thanks for mentioning this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh it's a fun game. I'd easily say better then Diablo II played solo. You get $20 worth of random dungeon click-click-click-click goodness. The plot itself is very thin. I don't mind that. If you can play EO and EO-II on the DS without complaining that there is no story you'll be fine with Torchlight. Same RPG crawler type plot - get to the basement for great justice.

I'm not so sure Runic Games should make their next project an MMO when this project didn't even make it online though.

It plays better then it looks in the trailers which says much sense it looks fantastic in the trailers lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghQBj6Gfn10
    Last edited by Raedon; 10-31-2009 at 11:48 PM.

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Talking

Holy hell, that looks much nicer than the screenshots. Although they use chunky prefabricated sections a bit too much for my liking (see how many times that wooden lamppost shows up in the trailer, for example).

And Matt Uelmen!!! Why did nobody mention MATT UELMEN is the composer?! I recognized his piano as soon as the action footage started rolling. I had been wondering what he was up to as Diablo 3 has some other composer working on it. Well, that alone makes this a must-buy for me.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 11-01-2009 at 12:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post

And Matt Uelmen!!! Why did nobody mention MATT UELMEN is the composer?!

Yea, the same guy who did the sound for Diablo 1 and 2 plus Starcraft and World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade. His work in this game is instantly recognizable. The music and sound in Torchlight are a huge part of the gaming enviroment which is nice. I've gotten so used to turning music off in my RPGs lately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I DLed this after you guys mentioned it and it's pretty darned fun! It's almost like Diablo Lite cause of the semi-anime art style, but easily as much fun. I just wish that you could zoom in a BIT more without losing the view of what's creeping up on you
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just had the feeling that hundreds of hours of time screamed out in agony... and then were suddenly silenced.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another vote for Torchlight. Best $20 I've spent in a while. I think I'll get bored of it once I beat it once or twice, but it's great disposable fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the record, I am playing it on a P3-1.0Ghz with 512MB RAM and it plays fine other than the horrendous loading times, which seem to be a common complaint even on modern system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a hardcore type this are the things I found. Still play this game these are just little issues.

My biggest problem can from Quest bugs.

At one point in the game you have to carry 3 quest Glyphs. I put 2 into my chest back at town because space is small at best. Anyway, I acquired the last Glyph and got the QUEST COMPLETE! message but only the Glyph currently ON me disappeared. The other two Glyphs happy stayed in my inventory chest taking valuable space for days. I finally read on the Torchlight forums that you just hold a Glyph and exit the game. POOF! that worked.

Another Quest bug was different. I picked up some rare-ember someone needed. The Quest item sat in my inventory and I was like "WTF?!" so I picked it up and then just re-dropped into my iinventory. DING! QUEST COMPLETE! Uhh ... thanks but it has been sitting in my inventory.

Sometimes your pet will not change after you have fed it a fish. This has happened to me once when it was turned into a cute little blob of goo and one when I turned it into an Elemental. I let it an Elemental for days because it's a destructive pet to have.
    -----
    Normal mode is wussy mode. They should have made the hardest setting normal.

Anyway I think they fixed the Quest items in stash with the bug fix patch issued Friday night.
    Torchlight Client 1.12

Torchlight 1.12 Patch Notes:
    • Fixed several issues which could overwrite saves, and protected against possible save loss. Save backups are now also generated.
    • Much reduced load times for many users
    • Some minor ingame performance improvements
    • Fixed Needle Arc XP exploit
    • Fixed Shadow Armor stacking effects
    • Fixed vendor dupe bug
    • Fixed various fullscreen startup issues
    • Fixed broken Brink cinematic on subsequent plays
    • Fixed merchant 'thief' exploit
    • Fixed right clicking in inventory casting certain spells
    • Fixed console not activating on Steam builds - this also fixes the fact that subsequent characters didn't see the random dungeon unlock after the first completion
    • Fixed issue with Syl's cinematic not being "skippable" during first boss fight
    • Fixed some DOT deaths not dropping loot
    • Quest items no longer allowed in stash
    • Several level fixes for a few places where things overlapped, or collision was missing, or stuck-issues cropped up
    • Fixed texture/mesh/ replacement issues with mods
    • You can now change difficulty level on the fly from the console without being branded a Cheater ( UNLESS you're playing hardcore )
    • Fixed pet minions not awarding fame
    • Fixed slow load times when mods were enabled
    • Pets inherit your spell masteries
    • Magic find takes the max value between you and your pet when pets or pet minions make a kill
    • Visible/increasing chance of stripping enchants via enchanter. Price based on # of enchants. Variables tunable in globals.dat
    • Troll pet is properly invincible
    • Tree Boss could be charmed - fixed
    • Fixed issue - Returning to town if you died during Ember Colossus or Medea would make them dormant on return
    • weapon + shield doesn't count as 'dual wielding'
    • Shimmering Scale ( and 2 other socketables ) now work properly when socketed
    • Ember lance slight nerf
    • Ember lightning slight buff
    • Aloe Gel summon provides better healing
    • Equippables properly provide bonuses to passive skills
    • Fixed display issue where multiple skill bonuses on the same item would collapse into a single display
    • Hardware skinning settings respected properly for pet paperdolls
    • Fix for potential bad state in the henchman battle
    • Enchantments at level 100 now work
    • Relabeled difficulty levels, and added tooltips explaining each
    • Fixed 'free spell purchase' exploit
    • Socketables cannot be heirloomed
    • Fix for masteries not updating certain spell bonuses until logout/login
    • Summon Blood Skeleton has 11 levels now
    • Various small grammar and spelling fixes
    • ADDITION : Rimlights, HW Skinning, and VSynch can all be altered from the Settings menu now.
    • MODDERS: Items can be set to 'always identified'

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Game's fantastic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I wouldn't say the best clone ever.

Mythos is obviously still in beta, err, or whatever since I guess Hellgate: London was such a flop for Bill Roper I guess it has been handed over "not sure", but when I played in the early beta of Mythos it seemed a bit better to me than this. http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/869458...gameplay2.html

To me Torchlight feels more like Fate and although it works it seems like nothing overly exciting to me personally. I've been playing Sacred 2 and really like its deviation from the "norm" a bit.

It seems Diablo 3 can't come soon enough.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 11-08-2009 at 12:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They released the Torchlight Editor 'TorchED' this week FYI.

http://www.torchlightgame.com/gamene...rched-is-here/

November 16th, 2009 TorchED, the Torchlight Editor is here! There are lots of ways you can get this free download – here are some of the hosted sites:
    File Front (official download): http://www.filefront.com/14902983/To...aller-1.0.exe/

User/Media hosts:
    Big Download: http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/11/...-torched-v1-0/

Runic Games Fansite: http://files.runicgamesfansite.com/m...taller-1.0.exe

Our devs and community have lots of your FAQs answered in our forums regarding modding. Start here: http://forums.runicgames.com/viewforum.php?f=15

Mods are hosted at two official sites right now, so you can find that coveted re-specc mod!

Runic Games Fan Site: http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/torchlightmods/ –they are also running a contest link: http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/tor...tmods/node/119) now!

Torchlight Insider: http://www.torchlightinsider.com/for...splay.php?f=14

Lastly, please check out our updated Press page for lots of nifty quotes, reviews and interviews, by everyone from local bloggers to Penny Arcade to Kotaku! Catch up on anything you may have missed!
    As always, thanks for playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    It seems Diablo 3 can't come soon enough.
    Oh I can't wait for Diablo III! What worries me about Diablo III and Blizzard right now is how long it's been between Starcraft II Teaser content and a game ... or hell, an actual release date. That was 2007 to (hopefully) 2010.

After playing all three classes to end game I can say Torchlight isn't perfect or even balanced. It's still worth the $20 and is a blast to play but the classes are not as perfect as Diablo II's classes were.

Of all the classes I found the Vanquisher to be the most fun to play. She is great at far away damage and the number of cool/powerful guns and bows in the game keep the weapon slots fresh.

The worst class was the Alchemist and I had so hoped it would be the best.

I kept wanting to play the Alchemist like the Vanquisher, only with Wands and game pretty much treats wands as items to sell. In the end my Alchemist was the 'pet' class of Torchlight. I found myself waiting for my golems and cat to get unstuck from some stairway or my pets wouldn't be helping with a mob that was attacking ME just off fighting something on the other side of the room. There is no pet health meter for summoned pets so you never know when they are almost dead until they die.

The Destroyer is fun. The Seismic Burst skill is a blast! It does damage to anything in the direction you use it - threw the air, over holes, down and up levels. The distance weapons like guns and wands can't be used up stairs or over walls but the Seismic Burst skill can!

In games like Diablo II, EQ, and WoW I will keep playing for epic loot even when the game is not only over but VERY over. I didn't do this with Torchlight. I started to run the random endless dungeon and after a few hours I stopped. I haven't touched the game sense.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I've only played mostly through as the Destroyer and he is insanely OP. I maxed dual wield and the starter berserker skill and I rip through everything. Will definitely go with Vanquisher next on Raedon's advice.

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

can't wait till this one is out at retail.

http://www.destructoid.com/torchligh...y-154945.phtml