Thread: loose analog stick in gamecube controller

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default loose analog stick in gamecube controller

I already have it open, and I'm looking at it right now, how do i tighten the analog stick?

EDIT: I need to tighten it because it doesn't stay in a neutral position, it just moves around without being touched, I don't mash it or anything, but it has been dropped a couple times, PLEASE HELP!
    Last edited by Msingh999; 11-01-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry for the double post, but I need help please!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You need to replace the whole stick assembly (the metal cube with the prong). I once tried to repair an Xbox stick (they use the same stick except for the L3/R3 mechanism) but I couldn't assemble it back again after I took it apart.

What I've done is buy a cheap broken 3rd party controller at a flea market and replace the broken stick (i.e. desoldering the old stick and soldering the replacement in place.

Of course, that's just me. Maybe someone more experienced in these matters could give you a better advice.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

damn, last time i soldered something it got ruined, I don't want want to take that chance, and have two destroyed controllers.

are you sure there's no mechanism that controls how tight the analog stick is? I remember seeing a post somewhere that said I had to tighten a screw, but I have no idea what they were talking about, because it was so vague, it said something along the lines of, "you have to tighten the screw in the back"
    Last edited by Msingh999; 11-01-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If there is such a mechanism, it won't make a difference. An internal piece of plastic on the controller is worn. Over time, friction from analog sticks grinds away the plastic on the inside of the cart.

You won't get out of this without soldering or buying a new controller. Luckily, newer Gamecube controllers remedied this problem. Took Nintendo long enough.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your control stick is loose because the plastic parts have worn down from use. Unfortunatly there are no screws in the assembly or anything that can be done to make the stick tighter, your only option for repair is a transplant.

This does mean you will have to solder but its a simple job. Just use some desoldering braid and a 30W iron, there is not much you can do to ruin the board in that area. If I am not mistaken you should be able to use the sticks from the Wii nunchuk or classic controller.

If you want to prevent the sticks from lossening in the future you should lube them every few years with a thick silicone grease. This will require a full disassembly of the unit.

To accomplish this you will first remove the stick assembly from the board.

Next remove the tumb piece and the two sensors that are on the side. If your stick is not respononding correctly, you can disassemble these and clean them.

After the sensors are removed you will have to pry off the metal housing. Do this carefully as there is a spring inside. When the housing is removed the rest of the parts should easily come out. Make careful note of their configuration.

Remove the two rockers from the stick, clean off any old grease that may be present and apply a small amount of silicone to the insides. Be sure to use the thick stuff from a can and not some thin watery spray.

After applying lubrication, reassemble everything except the sensors and work the excess grease out of the assembly. Once the extra grease is removed reattach the sensors and resolder to the board.

That should take care of your troubles. If you have any questions just let me know.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is there a place I can buy the specific part instead of the whole controller?

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should ask about that in the For Sale/ For Trade forum.
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

When I was looking for n64 controllers a while back there was a seller on ebay selling "OEM" analog-stick-part. Here is a gamecube one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-Gamecub...item5883ad3b76
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Compute View Post
    When I was looking for n64 controllers a while back there was a seller on ebay selling "OEM" analog-stick-part. Here is a gamecube one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-Gamecub...item5883ad3b76
    It looks like that might be just for the thumb piece. It would be a good idea to check with the seller. You can get a used classic controller, which has two sticks, for $15 according the Gamestop website. Thats not much more that the price of two sticks from ebay and you get extra spare parts.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."