2 Posts

Insert Coin (Level 0) Letiumtide's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Letiumtide

I'll be getting a DSi XL. I couldn't play the original DS without accidentally shutting it off while pressing up sometimes, really that was the worst place to put the on/off button. On top of that I have very small hands (being a very small girl this is pretty par for the course, as such I cannot play an xbox with the duke).

I'm hoping that the DSi XL doesn't pose the same problems that I have with either the chunky or the duke. Since every other system I can play no problem.

Also chiming in to say I have never had a problem with my DSlite personally. But since working at EB I've known many people who have had problems, though almost all of them admitted to dropping it prior to damage, so... take that as you will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    My favorite comment regarding this new "XL" version of the DSi was on Kotaku. Someone mapped out the DS resolution (256 x 192 pixels) by the new screen size (4.2 inch screen vs. 3.25 inches). They said most games will look like "you're looking through a screen door". Essentially the games that are designed to hide their imperfections through a small screen will look terrible when blown up to fit the bigger screen.
    Can anyone confirm if this is an issue with the final retail model? I understand that people who just dropped $200 on this thing will be a bit biased at first.

Is there anyone who can actually give an honest assessment if the blown-up screen looks like crap?
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Letiumtide

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Can anyone confirm if this is an issue with the final retail model? I understand that people who just dropped $200 on this thing will be a bit biased at first.

Is there anyone who can actually give an honest assessment if the blown-up screen looks like crap?
    Oddly enough, Also on Kotaku, the one reviewer who OWNED the DSIXL, said that it made old games look spiffy again.

"the most refreshing about the new, bigger screens is how they breathe life into old titles. While the graphics are the same, old favorites like Mario Kart look wonderful (and not blown out) running on the XL's screens"

http://kotaku.com/5420191/nintendo-d...-super-size-me

Peach (Level 3) Princess-Isabela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if DSX was playing GBA Games, I'd get it a snap.
    for almost $200 I'm not that inclined to get it.
    bigger screens are nice but I'll stick to DS Lite (don't care for DSI, online library is a joke).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Letiumtide

Quote Originally Posted by Princess-Isabela View Post
    if DSX was playing GBA Games, I'd get it a snap.
    for almost $200 I'm not that inclined to get it.
    bigger screens are nice but I'll stick to DS Lite (don't care for DSI, online library is a joke).
    The only reason why I'm willing to upgrade to the DSIxl is because I get all of my GBA gaming done on either my Xbox or my PSP. I haven't touched the GBA slot on my DSlite for well over a year now. Probably more...

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Six months after this. DSi XS. It only weighs 2.8 ounces.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

I'm waiting since I already have a DS and I am instead going to get an iPad for around the house web stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've had the DS LL from Japan since it came out and it's definitely worth it!! The bigger screens are awesome!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the DS can't go smaller (at least in screen size) due to the touch screen.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, other than for the ridiculously small amount of games that can connect to DS games, I rarely ever use the GBA slot. I don't see why anyone would actually use it, considering how poorly mapped the controls are. Just have a GB micro or something like that to bring with you when you feel like playing GBA games.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Oh well, at least it'll actually have a cart slot, which is more than can be said about other systems.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    You know, other than for the ridiculously small amount of games that can connect to DS games, I rarely ever use the GBA slot. I don't see why anyone would actually use it, considering how poorly mapped the controls are. Just have a GB micro or something like that to bring with you when you feel like playing GBA games.
    I agree. Mine doesn't get used for anything besides a rumble cartridge for DS games which also keeps the dust out of my DS and DS Lite.

I've raised that point here in the past about the controls, but we seem to be in the minority (Although I suspect most just have never spent much time using GBA software on their DS so they haven't discovered how awful it is for some games). Something like Super Mario World isn't even playable on a DS due to B & A being rigidly mapped to the buttons that correspond to those letters on the DS (Just try holding down B on the DS to run while using A to jump, our right thumb was never designed to do that in a comfortable manner and it just doesn't work well). The much more sensible arrange of B being mapped to Y and A being mapped to B would've been a vast improvement and a far more comfortable arrangement that allows our right thumb to easily access both buttons simultaneously, which is needed in many games.

Between the poor controls, the poor screens of the original DS, and carts sticking halfway out of the Lite, I don't see why anyone would want to play GBA games on the go on anything but a SP2 (Which used the same screen technology as the Micro and DS Lite).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-22-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did manage to beat a few GBA games on DS systems, but they play infinitely better on actual hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did manage to beat a few GBA games on DS systems, but they play infinitely better on actual hardware.
    I suppose it's just convenient factor, play your GBA and DS on the same device, having GBA Games on the go, on bigger screen would be nice(even if a little pixelated).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Princess-Isabela View Post
    having GBA Games on the go
    You mean like when like on every GBA system?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Yeah the GBA Compatibility on the DS and DS Lite is best for the RPGs and other non-action games. I stuck with the original DS this time as usual and don't plan to collect the updates until they are old and in the bargain bin. I still haven't gotten myself to collect a GBA Micro.

A DSi XL might look cool but I believe the next official Nintendo handheld will not be too far off with its possible GameCube level graphics. Maybe another year or two will bring in the next handheld generation.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It only sounds stupid when you take a small slice of her statement to quote.

She's right, I think many people put up with it because you get to kill two birds with 1 stone by only having to bring one device that plays both (And you get to have two games in it at the same time so you can bring multiple games and not worry about losing a small GBA or DS game).

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Someone I know is getting the XL at launch so I'm going to mess around with it. I just want to make sure the buttons are as good as they were on the phat or atleast close. I really don't play GBA games on my DS even though one is currently inserted(I think BoF2 for the 50th time.)

Anyways. I only play GBA games on the PSP now. The PSP having 16:9 and the GBA being 3:2 which rounds up close to 16:9, the screen size is much larger than the GBA and only has small black bars on the left and right. If you stretch it it really doesn't look that bad, but I prefer non stretched but screen fit.

Also. Square as B and X as A is much better than using X/B as B or O/A as A which is forced on the DS hardware.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I prefer playing GBA games on the DS because they look better on the screen compared to the SP or original Advance. I still have an original model DS and it works fine for me.

In any case the screens on the XL are still too small. Why can't Nintendo just make them huge like someone else already did?
    http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/DS/jumbotron/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it's not very wise to take bits and pieces out of context to make your case.
    I specifically mentioned this because someone could say "if you want gba games on bigger screen, you can use gb player for that",
    haven't thought of that, did you? ^_~